Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2018, 01:43 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,589,229 times

Advertisements

The job I enjoyed the most was one I did for 3.5 years. But it had one of the worst jackasses you could imagine, as its manager. So I just learned my job, did it in the best way I could and ignored him, as much as possible. The key was that by doing the job well and gaining favor with co-workers, clients and higher-level managers, any attempts by him to derail me, were not supported by the Division Director.

After losing a couple of attempted showdowns with me, the department manager learned it was best to leave me alone and focus his bullying on others, who had more reason to fear him. But I'll never forget the flash of joy that went across his face, when I told him I was leaving to return to college. In his little world, he apparently thought of me, as I did of him. I never realized what an easy job it is to be a student, until after I'd had to deal with him all that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2018, 05:13 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times
I think people get too focused on the negatives and put too much focus on work. Focus on what you like about your job.

For me- I am fortunate to like my job. Yes, it can get crazy sometimes. Plus I get some great perks.

Old 08-18-2018, 06:53 AM

283 posts, read 198,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
A lot of people bring misery on themselves.

Just read the threads here. It's usually petty narcissism or some kind of conspiracy.....

"I'm here to work and I'm not interested in making friends!"

"Someone asked if I had a good weekend. They should mind their own business!!"

"Someone showed me a picture of their newborn. Why would they think everyone cares?!!"

"I interviewed and didn't get the job. It's discrimination!"

"The interview questions were hard. They're mean!!"

"I applied and didn't get an interview. It's HR's fault!"

"My coworker chews gum too loud!"

"They have a dress code. How unfair!"

"They asked me to join them for happy hour. Don't they realize I have a life outside work?!"
Ha ha you are so funny. Makes me chuckle.

Old 08-18-2018, 07:03 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
75% is because of greed and money.

Let's say your company produces widgets. You can make a widget in say 4 hours. But if you want a widget done WELL, well then maybe 6 hours to make one, and spend maybe another 2 hours to check it over, put touches on it. Not so bad for an 8 hour day.

But people want to make as much $ as possible. So, your boss says, "We make the best darn widgets for the price we charge." And he gets an order of widgets and orders you to make 10 widgets a week.

While that's possible, all of these widgets have different customers specifications. So, one might take 4 hours to make, one might take a whole 8 hours. And since you need to spend 4 hours tops to make a widget to meet your quota, you either spend your own time to make sure it's done right, or go home for the day.

Now ... all of a sudden your boss calls you into his office. Mr. XYZ has called and his widget has a defect. Now that's a mark against the company. And a mark against you. "F@ck. How did I miss that? That will never happen again." But mistakes do happen again.

Or ... maybe you have a bad day. You had a fight with your wife and you can't concentrate Monday morning. Well ... now you're a widget behind schedule. You have to make that time up.

On top of that, the guy next to you makes 12 widgets a week somehow and is witty and people love him.

So ... now you're going into a place where you need to work virtually every hour of the day to meet your widget quota, you're constantly worried about keeping up with widget making trends, which really only takes away from your widget making time, you're constantly worried about your boss calling you into his office pointing out the mistake you made on this widget that you can't believe you somehow missed, and the co-worker next to you is making more widgets than you and with less mistakes.

Now THAT'S stress.

Does this situation sound familiar to anybody?
Yes, it sounds incredibly familiar. People on my team take vacations so they can get caught up on work - without getting more work.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:18 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
I've thought about this and I think it comes down to feeling trapped or having limited options.

My entire outlook changed when I realized I would be perfectly fine if my job went away... call it liberating.

I also believe others can sense this... especially employers.

Early on... I have seen this with some of our trauma nurses... they are really good and good to work with... but they have tons of options and the Hospital Admin knows it... so they are treated with respect and defference.

Once a person needs are met... money is no longer at the top of the list... and this can change a person's outlook dramatically...

Old 08-18-2018, 01:16 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,094 times
My Kids always ask me how my day was. Often my response is:

it's work. if it was fun, they would call it play.

Old 08-18-2018, 01:28 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,986,308 times
The secret is not to have kids. Maybe a wife/husband and dog with a standard 100-150k house. Thats it. Less of an expense associated and you are in a position to call more of your own shots. You don't have to provide for a ton of people. Power is when you have nothing or just the basics. . Or you have a lot. When you don't have much you don't care. You have power because you don't care. And the key is take the power out of the employer's hands

If its just two working adults and a pet, you are in a position to call more of your own shots

Old 08-18-2018, 01:33 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
The secret is not to have kids. Maybe a wife/husband and dog. Thats it. Less of an expense associated and you are in a position to call more of your own shots. You don't have to provide for a ton of people. Power is when you have nothing. Or you have a lot. When you don't have much you don't care. You have power because you don't care. And the key is take the power out of the employer's hands
If your goal is to "take power out of the employer's hands" then start your own company. The downside of that is you bear all the downside risk of failure. That's not the case when you let the employer 'have the power'.

Apathy does not equate to 'power'...

Old 08-18-2018, 01:34 PM

17,571 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturgeonman View Post
It shouldn't have to be that way, but so many of us have awful times at our jobs. Many times, you leave one bad place and the next place is worse. Bad managers and bad coworkers are everywhere. I've heard all sorts of stories from family members and have experienced many nasty people at work myself. Why can't the workplace be somewhere you like going rather than hell on Earth?

Welcome to the real world

Old 08-18-2018, 01:37 PM

23 posts, read 15,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
The secret is not to have kids. Maybe a wife/husband and dog with a standard 100-150k house. Thats it. Less of an expense associated and you are in a position to call more of your own shots. You don't have to provide for a ton of people. Power is when you have nothing or just the basics. . Or you have a lot. When you don't have much you don't care. You have power because you don't care. And the key is take the power out of the employer's hands

If its just two working adults and a pet, you are in a position to call more of your own shots
Better yet, just stay single and live in a cheap studio/1 br apartment, then put what money is left over each month into retirement accounts. Home ownership is overrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment