Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 07:49 AM

85 posts, read 235,342 times

Advertisements

Good Morning everyone!

I am trying to return to work after many years staying home with my kids. I am in the process of filing out many online applications and it is frustrating. I have an issue with one of my former jobs. I am trying to figure out how to word my "reason for leaving" on the application. Here is the problem:

Back in 1995, I worked for one of the major delivery services as a package handler. My job was to unload the packages from the main truck so they could be delivered that morning. The problem was I was not physically suited for the job. You had to be able to unload the truck in a certain amount of time and I was not able to do so. They tried to work with me because my attendance and attitude was very good. I was allowed to "resign" from that position. I was told that they would try to find an administrative position for me but that never materialized and I decided to move on.

Recently I came across my dates of the employment and it has me down for working for 11 months! I only actually worked there for a very short time (I don't even remember exactly how long). I wouldn't even put it down if it wasn't for this work verification website.

How would you word it on the "reason for leaving" section?

Thanks to anyone who is able to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 07:54 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,583,881 times
I would say no longer able to physically perform job which included heavy lifting.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:25 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
"left for better opportunities for growth and advancement"

Old 08-16-2018, 10:51 AM

112 posts, read 69,743 times
Didn't pay me for overtime

Old 08-16-2018, 10:54 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,834,574 times
From 1995? what did you do next/? I would use my next job as my reason for moving on. Better opportunities and growth potential.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:18 PM

345 posts, read 252,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutraveler View Post
Good Morning everyone!

I am trying to return to work after many years staying home with my kids. I am in the process of filing out many online applications and it is frustrating. I have an issue with one of my former jobs. I am trying to figure out how to word my "reason for leaving" on the application. Here is the problem:

Back in 1995, I worked for one of the major delivery services as a package handler. My job was to unload the packages from the main truck so they could be delivered that morning. The problem was I was not physically suited for the job. You had to be able to unload the truck in a certain amount of time and I was not able to do so. They tried to work with me because my attendance and attitude was very good. I was allowed to "resign" from that position. I was told that they would try to find an administrative position for me but that never materialized and I decided to move on.

Recently I came across my dates of the employment and it has me down for working for 11 months! I only actually worked there for a very short time (I don't even remember exactly how long). I wouldn't even put it down if it wasn't for this work verification website.

How would you word it on the "reason for leaving" section?

Thanks to anyone who is able to help.
Can you leave that job off your resume? You'll run into age discrimination for sure.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:42 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,725,104 times
Do you have other work history that includes more long-term jobs? I wouldn't bother including that type of job. Just skip over it. It was over 20 years ago... I really doubt it will come up.

Old 08-16-2018, 05:12 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times
Last year I took a class that went over resume, cover letter writing, and interviewing skills. One of the topics of discussion was about the importance of tailoring your resume to the job you are applying for. You should never just have one resume and use that for every job you apply for. The resume should be tailored to the job description for the position you're applying for.

We were also taught only to include the past ten years worth of skills related/work related history. Unless it was something spectacular or really special like peace corps service or teaching language in another country or volunteering abroad helping to build homes or something like that.

If the delivery job is related to the job you're applying for, then include it but explain honestly why it didn't work out. If it doesn't apply and you are applying for a different line of work, leave it out. If you get to the interview/background part of applying for the job, you can explain that you left it off because it didn't relate to the position you are seeking AND it was over ten years ago.

I was "just a mom" for 20 years and recently made the transition from focusing on my kids (who are now grown) to now focusing on a career. One of the best things you can do is volunteer, actually. And I don't mean at the kids school! Find something you're passionate about and volunteer there. It's one of the best ways to get your foot in the door, and then gain work experience and references that begin to build you resume. When a paid position opens up (and they will at nonprofits as turnover is typically quite high) apply for it, even if you don't necessarily have all the "hard skills" that are listed in the job description. If you show up on-time, clean and sober, are reliable and hard-working, and people like you and you get along with everybody - employers are willing to teach you the hard skills if you've proven to them that your soft skills are strong.

Good luck! I know it's not easy and that transition can be a little overwhelming and emotional. Be easy on yourself and celebrate even the small stuff.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:51 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
From 1995? what did you do next/? I would use my next job as my reason for moving on. Better opportunities and growth potential.
OP said they stopped working for "many years" to stay home with their children - so there might not be much else between then and now.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:53 AM

9,386 posts, read 8,356,698 times
Unless you are applying for a similar role (package handler, delivery driver, etc.) I wouldn't even include it as it's likely not relevant to whatever you are applying for.

If it is one of the only jobs you've ever held, I would simply state "Left for another opportunity" or "Became stay-at-home parent" as the reason for leaving. If asked in an interview, tell them you decided to stay at home with your family for a period of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment