Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 09:20 AM

1,156 posts, read 941,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheuss View Post
So the exec MBA is then less about the pay increase, but more about the knowledge?
No, it's about people who are already executives or one notch below filling in a void on their resume. The idea of a "starting salary" for eMBAs is silly as most of the students already have a good paying professional job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 09:53 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Where do you get Thise figures from? Fox News? :

There are far more people unemployed than being counted because once you have exhausted your unemployment benefits, you are no longer counted. So it’s a BS number that’s politically driven Underemployment is an even bigger issue. We don’t need MBA burger flippers

There is definitely a lack of well paying jobs and especially careers. Lots of companies lowballing educated individuals on starting salaries
My statistics are formal unemployment statistics by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. Sorry, but you are simply wrong. You are still counted in unemployment rates when benefits are exhausted. Even using U6 as a measurement unemployment is at a 20 year low.

Can you give any facts to back up what you're saying?

Old 08-17-2018, 10:04 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
Why would an executive need an EMBA, assuming they already have a Master's Degree/MBA and ample work experience? You can reach executive status with a general MBA and ample work experience.
I'm sure there are exceptions but very, very few people would bother to earn an eMBA if they already have an MBA.

My experience is 27 years old but my MBA got me a job that resulted in a 36% pay raise. And, it was from a lower-tiered school but, I enjoyed the experience immensely. 27 years later, I'm still with the same employer despite losing two jobs along the way due to downsizing events.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:08 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal25 View Post
No, it's about people who are already executives or one notch below filling in a void on their resume. The idea of a "starting salary" for eMBAs is silly as most of the students already have a good paying professional job.
This. Someone in our company who is, for example, might be a regional manager. With the eMBA, they might move up into the executive band where the regional team reports to him.

That would like occur in another business though. Guys like this move around quite a bit and with each new job, their salary increases at about twice 2-3 x the rate of everyone else....if not more.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:28 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
Where have you met a burger flipper who holds an MBA??? You need a few years of relevant work experience to get into the good MBA programs. That disqualifies those who couldn't get themselves a job that pay more than minimum wage. At least, that's how it is where I am. I always assumed that was the standard..

I have seen plenty of college graduates 4 year or masters equivalents stuck year after year in underemployment purgatory and being taken advantage of in High School Equivalent job titles. . That does no one any good except for greedy businesses taking advantage of the situation.

If this is all that those going to college have to look forward to at end of the road (After going ridiculously in debt in most cases) . Gross underemployment... Then why bother with college exactly? Underemployment is bad enough. Underemployment while being 10s of thousand dollars in debt is even worse. And you can't even declare bankruptcy on it. Many STEM grads aren't doing that much better either. Seen lots of unemployed or underemployed engineers due to outsourcing and other BS reasons. What a reward for graduating from a difficult major while accumulating heavy debt.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:28 AM

315 posts, read 300,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
Why would an executive need an EMBA, assuming they already have a Master's Degree/MBA and ample work experience? You can reach executive status with a general MBA and ample work experience.
...this is what I've been trying to sort out myself Acres. The college that I graduated from which is a major university in North Texas is heavily recruiting me to go through their eMBA program which is onsite. They're claiming it is much better than the traditional MBA program from another major university in North Texas.

The university with the traditional MBA is main state university in Dallas and their MBA is super flexible. It is 100% online however you can opt for onsite classes whenever you want.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:35 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
Connections need to be taken into account to. Good luck obtaining "executive status" without high level connections prior. You won't even be given a first look if you don't have connections beforehand. Those positions are nothing but "Frat boy" positions. Some goof becomes CEO and brings in all his former college frat buddies or previously failed executive team with him.

An MBA without high level connections is as good as the toilet paper you wipe your rear with

Old 08-17-2018, 10:49 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,886 times
Quote:
Connections need to be taken into account to. Good luck obtaining "executive status" without high level connections prior. You won't even be given a first look if you don't have connections beforehand. Those positions are nothing but "Frat boy" positions. Some goof becomes CEO and brings in all his former college frat buddies or previously failed executive team with him.

An MBA without high level connections is as good as the toilet paper you wipe your rear with
An MBA gives you connections to nearly everyone who graduated from that program. I can go onto my MBA's alumni website and get the phone number and email address of thousands upon thousands of people who will take my call, simply because I got my MBA through the same program as them.

You want connections? Nothing's stopping anyone from building them.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:50 AM

801 posts, read 547,684 times
Quote:
I have seen plenty of college graduates 4 year or masters equivalents stuck year after year in underemployment purgatory and being taken advantage of in High School Equivalent job titles. . That does no one any good except for greedy businesses taking advantage of the situation.

If this is all that those going to college have to look forward to at end of the road (After going ridiculously in debt in most cases) . Gross underemployment... Then why bother with college exactly? Underemployment is bad enough. Underemployment while being 10s of thousand dollars in debt is even worse. And you can't even declare bankruptcy on it. Many STEM grads aren't doing that much better either. Seen lots of unemployed or underemployed engineers due to outsourcing and other BS reasons. What a reward for graduating from a difficult major while accumulating heavy debt.
This has been discussed here over a million times. A college degree isn't worth the loans if you are just planning on just focusing on going to class and get good grades. You need more. Those who understand that tend to do fine after finishing school...

I've never met an MBA who flips burgers. Because, you need to have a few years of work experience to get accepted into the MBA programs in my area.

If someone couldn't even get a low position that somewhat relate to their bachelor's degree, why on earth would that person think getting an MBA is a good idea????

Old 08-17-2018, 10:55 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,192,161 times
In general an exec MBA is not as good an education as a traditional full-time MBA. Even from the basic criteria of number of credit hours - Exec MBA is generally 48 hours, full time MBA is 60 hours.

As has been said exec MBA is for people who are ALREADY "executives" and for whatever reason haven't yet had an MBA degree. The program is oriented towards their "busy schedules." So there really isn't any such thing as an exec MBA starting salary.

OP, be careful on your MBA choice. Lots of factors to consider and it's very expensive. It's possible that let's say an exec MBA from SMU is "better" than a traditional MBA from U Dallas but you will have to figure out what's best for you and your career. Send me a DM if you want more specific info. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment