Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 04:51 AM

283 posts, read 198,630 times

Advertisements

OP, for a 30 years old with $50k savings is quite an achievement. You should be proud of yourself. I wish you the best in whatever you decide to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 04:55 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,865,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifecrisis89 View Post
Thanks for all the advice everyone! My finances are very stable. I have decided to take a 2 week vacation then come back to get an apartment in a different city. I pray I am making the right choice!
Yes, another place to live would be good. You can't put "my car" for an address on a resume, without appearing unstable.

Old 08-22-2018, 05:14 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I agree, I've seen that where I live, rents have been increasing a lot lately so landlords are painting or landscaping the fronts of craptastic 40 year old apartments that were renting for $750 a month and trying to rent them for $1100-$1200, now there are "apartment for rent" signs on about 2/3 of them.
Yes, I lived in a complex like this. They redid the interior of the apartments, but the maintenance was terrible and half of the other apartments were still under construction, so you’d still have to hear drilling and get construction dust in your apartment day after day. It was no place to live when you’d come home and your place would literally be covered in a dust film and then 2 days after dusting it would be coated again because they were leaving the hall door open and doing the work right out there. You can’t really blame the property manager for that sort of nonsense.

Old 08-22-2018, 06:32 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post

Well, the OP said that it was in the contract that he'd vacate within 72 hours of losing the job. Maybe he could have refused to move out, taken it to court and made it nasty and bought a little more time. But since the employer apparently said they'd give a good reference, why do all of that when the end result -- moving out of the apartment -- would be the same? I could see it if it were a desperate situation (OP had no money and nowhere to go), but for someone with enough in the bank to move on, it pays to move on and avoid getting into a nasty, stressful situation or burning a bridge when you need a good reference.
A contract does not negate housing law. It might be a bit late now but I'd get legal advice as if a piece of paper could allow landlords to toss out tenants in 3 days don't you think every rental agreement would have that and the laws would be useless? Even the reddit/r/legaladvice forum is pretty good. I guarantee you 3 days notice to vacate is not at all supported by law. As I said, the whole purpose of housing law is to prevent landlords from doing this sort of thing and rendering people homeless. The landlord/employer is likely liable for whatever damages of being homeless the OP incurs for at least 30 days and probably penalties as well.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 08-22-2018 at 06:48 AM..

Old 08-22-2018, 06:52 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
A contract does not negate housing law. It might be a bit late now but I'd get legal advice as if a piece of paper could allow landlords to toss out tenants in 3 days don't you think every rental agreement would have that and the laws would be useless? Even the reddit/r/legaladvice forum is pretty good. I guarantee you 3 days notice to vacate is not at all supported by law. As I said, the whole purpose of housing law is to prevent landlords from doing this sort of thing and rendering people homeless. The landlord/employer is likely liable for whatever damages of being homeless the OP incurs for at least 30 days and probably penalties as well.
I agree!!!

Old 08-22-2018, 07:08 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Yes, another place to live would be good. You can't put "my car" for an address on a resume, without appearing unstable.

You can put a PO Box though, or a street address style drop box. Done it plenty.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:42 AM

9 posts, read 6,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
You can put a PO Box though, or a street address style drop box. Done it plenty.
Now-a-days an address is not required. Just an email and phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Perfect!

Where are you going on vacation?
I haven't decided yet. Maybe Vegas or Cancun. Any suggestions?

Old 08-22-2018, 02:13 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifecrisis89 View Post
Now-a-days an address is not required. Just an email and phone.

I haven't decided yet. Maybe Vegas or Cancun. Any suggestions?

Are your serious? You have no job and nowhere to live and you're thinking of going to Vegas?

And YES I understand he has $50K in the bank, but that can go really fast when you need first and last months rent for an apartment and basic living expenses until you find another job which could take awhile. Not to mention, what if you get ill and end up in the hospital? I'm assuming you don't have health insurance either? $50k can go real quick!

Last edited by CGab; 08-22-2018 at 03:34 PM..

Old 08-22-2018, 06:31 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
I agree. Wonderful you have 50K in the bank. But you have no income coming in, and no place to go. If you land a job, and you have a little time before they want you to start, sure, take a vacation. But right now is not the time to go on a vacation. Figure out what you're going to do first, where you're going to do it.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:33 PM

9 posts, read 6,196 times
Hi everyone! I have secured a new apartment and am now starting to apply for jobs. However, I am still going to take a vacation before interviewing. Wish me luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment