Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 01:55 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times

Advertisements

If you own one..a grocer you will be glad to do the following:
Have software to gage the subpar wage given your cashiers. You'll 'speed' rate them. Most should be pushing 700$ in purchase per hour. Otherwise hammer into them the importance of speed and 100% accuracy! Accept nothing less. Make sure they are standing for hours so they can increase the leg bloodclots later in life.
Also if they need hydrated (liquid refreshments)..remind them to wait til break time.
There does that help.in considering being a cashier? I had on average 12-20 carts per hour. Most avg 120-180 $. The worse were the coupon queens..50 coupons and some were expired or the items didn't match the coupon criteria. But don't tell these coupon addicts that! They will spit you out and grow a new set of horns.
I respect most service attendents so I ease into being polite...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 02:11 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I did, as a teen, but that was so long ago, I cannot remember. I also don't think we counted customers back then, it was the old fashioned till types, where you had to calculate the change on your own.
Same here. Worked as a cashier for 3 years in the late 80s at a local grocery store. We didn't count customers either, but at the end of our shift, when we were closing out the till, we did get a number that was average items scanned per minute. I remember humming along while scanning items, and some customer would roll up with a cartful of obscure produce that I would have to look up, and it would mess my average all up, LOL.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:14 PM

468 posts, read 356,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
7-11 in Colorado in 1979.
Thank heaven for 7-11

Old 08-22-2018, 07:42 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
At an average supermarket, on average, how many customers do they serve in 1 hour?
Ha - that was my very first job. Constant stream of customers. And back then, you had to know MATH!!

Why do you want to know how many customers in an hour??

Old 08-22-2018, 07:47 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
At an average supermarket, on average, how many customers do they serve in 1 hour?

In a large retail store where we sold everything I averaged 22 customers per hour. It was pretty much non stop for 6.5 hours. (1.5 hours for breaks and lunch) I only know this because I could check my productivity every day and that was my average.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:49 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglegirl05 View Post
I currently work as a cashier for a well known grocery store chain.

The number of customers I serve per hour varies depending on how busy it is as well as what day it is.

The cashiers also have to continuously scan 30 items per minute.

Wow, that's a lot, 1800 hour. We were asked to do 1000 and that's a lot too. I suppose if I had a bagger I could do it but when you have to bag also it does slow you down some. Not to mention coupons, WIC orders, any problems with payments, etc. etc..

Old 08-22-2018, 07:54 PM

3,662 posts, read 2,945,273 times
Careful how fast the managers at these supermarkets push you, its got a ton of repetitive motion that can cause shoulder and wrist problems. I worked for 2 major chains and they work you like a dog. Short breaks, and I quit my last job as a cashier on the spot. Mgr said I was bagging slow and I said see ya. Not worth an injury to go 100mph all the time.

BTW, it felt like a prison doing the job since its same place standing there for hours. Can't even pee without feeling guilty someone has to take your place for a minute.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:47 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,736,140 times
I worked in a Waldbaums and a Pathmark. This was back in the early 90's. The Waldbaums didn't have scanners. Speed was the name of the game. The Pathmark job was great. Best time of my high school life.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:37 PM

3,057 posts, read 2,034,410 times
Oh memories of being 16-17 years old and cashier after school at local food store. I was a whiz at checking out back when you punched buttons to ring the price up, pre-computer. I almost never made a mistake in punching correct buttons but some ladies didn't like how fast I did it because they could not keep up to check I didn't make a mistake (almost never).

Back then the receipt only showed the department (meat, produce, etc) not the exact item. Better itemization nowadays.
It was always better when we were busy, time went much faster.

Yesterday cashier scanned/charged my gallon of milk twice but I caught it before she totalled. Second time in 7 days I had a item charged twice. Gonna have to keep my eyes pealed.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:01 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
[quote=twinkletwinkle22;52882018]Oh memories of being 16-17 years old and cashier after school at local food store. I was a whiz at checking out back when you punched buttons to ring the price up, pre-computer. I almost never made a mistake in punching correct buttons but some ladies didn't like how fast I did it because they could not keep up to check I didn't make a mistake (almost never).

Back then the receipt only showed the department (meat, produce, etc) not the exact item. Better itemization nowadays.
It was always better when we were busy, time went much faster.
quote].[/

At a point in my life I shopped at a military grocery store. The line of people waiting to check out went to the back of the store. Always busy, so cashiers worked as quickly as possible. I believe they had baggers IIRC. Each cart was piled to the top, and then some!

To your point, there were no scanners to slow things down. Cashier punched buttons to ring up the price. Awesomely quick. No mistakes. Sort of like an accountant who can use a ten-key; no looking, just punching keys as quickly as their fingers would go.

It was a different time. People were trained, efficient, cordial, and productive. Glad to have good jobs in a good atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment