Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2018, 11:14 AM

404 posts, read 377,898 times

Advertisements

Would like to get some advice for my daughter. She currently works as a contractor for a large corporation and has applied for a different position within the corporation (non-contractor position).

Since she is already working within the company, she has access to people within the department where the new job is. One of her previous managers suggested she send an email to the hiring manager regarding the position - she doesn't know if she should do this and if she does, what would she say in the email?

She did apply directly via the corporate website but knows that they receive hundreds of applications and wants to figure out how to get her app in the hands of someone in the department. (She has the name and email/phone of the hiring manager in the department.) It's not an internal job posting for her as she is a contractor so her app goes through the same portal as outside hires.

Any advice or suggestions for her? Also - what to say in the email and does she attach her resume directly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 01:06 PM

12,073 posts, read 23,152,474 times
It would be better if someone from the company told the hiring manager, "Hey, Suzzy applied for the job; you should look at her resume. She would be a good hire."

Old 10-11-2018, 01:16 PM

29,457 posts, read 22,419,950 times
Why can't the former manager vouch for her and personally hand in the resume on her behalf?

That's how I got my current job. I knew someone working there and he personally handed the hiring manager my resume with a glowing recommendation.

Anyways:

Sample Email Cover Letter Message for a Hiring Manager

Old 10-11-2018, 03:43 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,347,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnmo View Post
Would like to get some advice for my daughter. She currently works as a contractor for a large corporation and has applied for a different position within the corporation (non-contractor position).

Since she is already working within the company, she has access to people within the department where the new job is. One of her previous managers suggested she send an email to the hiring manager regarding the position - she doesn't know if she should do this and if she does, what would she say in the email?

She did apply directly via the corporate website but knows that they receive hundreds of applications and wants to figure out how to get her app in the hands of someone in the department. (She has the name and email/phone of the hiring manager in the department.) It's not an internal job posting for her as she is a contractor so her app goes through the same portal as outside hires.

Any advice or suggestions for her? Also - what to say in the email and does she attach her resume directly?
You've come to the right place! A friend of mine went through this very same thing.

He was working through a staffing firm at a large company, and saw a job posting in another area for a full-time direct position with the company. He applied for it and then contacted the hiring manager directly through e-mail, and this is key, using the company's e-mail address he used as a contract employee. This way it showed as internal e-mail, not someone on the outside. They feel more comfortable if they are dealing with someone who is already working in the company in some role. He wrote an e-mail to the hiring manager saying he was working in XYZ area now as a contractor and was very interested in this position he applied for in the hiring manager's group. Adding that this other hiring manager (their peer) suggested applying for this job. He got back e-mail from the hiring manager saying who to talk to schedule an interview. He ended up getting the job. He told me all about this because he said normally it took months to even get an interview scheduled.

What your daughter should say in the e-mail is pretty much what I mentioned above, but also to highlight her qualifications for this job and to talk about what she finds interesting about it and how she can make a great contribution.

Also, always use references as many as possible that are great references of employees already working in the company especially in management. Let us know how it goes!

Old 10-11-2018, 06:42 PM

404 posts, read 377,898 times
Thanks! I've passed your comments along to my daughter. Fingers crossed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search