Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 04:27 PM

4,338 posts, read 4,697,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I've never heard of that at all. What field of US law can be practiced in India? I think that is not correct.

Decent paralegals are recession-proof.

It is almost impossible to outsource jobs from the country or even out of the state the attorney is practicing in. Paralegals or anyone doing legal work have to know the law (every state has different laws), most have to be certified in the state where the practice and clients are, and time zones are crucial due to closings and deadlines. In addition, excellent spelling and grammar are required--English would pretty much need to be one's first language.

Disagree with the recession-proof comment. Generally, they are among the first to go since most firms want to keep their young attorneys busy first and the work just gets pushed down. And, paralegals cannot practice law. Sure - if you are doing specific blue sky work or similar you need to know specifics, but someone new wouldn't be doing take kind of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 01:21 PM

68 posts, read 77,598 times
Original plan with my associates was to join NYPD but I don't know what happened. I still somewhat want to do it, the ideal still circles my mind at times. I decided to go for my bachelors in Psychology honestly because it was the only subject that truly grabs my interest. (Silly right!)

I was also thinking Probation officer which you need a B.A for. I like law I always have. Which is why I was thinking if I have my B.A and paralegal certificate my resume would be more desirable. I don't know. Registration starts the 17 of this month for the certificate. I am still undecided.

Old 09-12-2018, 01:29 PM

68 posts, read 77,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I used to work in media (also have a degree). At one point I left NYC and the media job landscape in smaller places is lacking. So I did what you are considering--got a paralegal certificate. It only took a few semesters and I landed a job before I was done with the certificate. Great job--went on to make much higher salary at a large firm and then specialized in corporate, M&A and private equity.

Salaries are good--depending where you are though I would think, that affects all salaries. Also you mentioned benefits. Law firms usually have great benefits. Many pay 100% of health insurance, more vacation time than the usual "10 days after you've been here a year" BS, 401ks.

I haven't looked for employment in ages (have worked as employee and also on contract). I am still getting emails from recruiters constantly--for myself or asking if I can refer someone else. There are all kinds of law you can specialize in, and the job market in South Fla appears to be booming for paralegals, as well as Orlando and Tampa. There may be a paralegal association in the geographic areas you are looking that could give more info on salaries, etc. in your area.

A lot of paralegals start as legal assistants, and some small firms use the terms interchangeably, but I actually see more openings for paralegals (with specific experience). You can easily start as a legal assistant and take paralegal courses at night--most good attorneys and firms want certified paralegals these days. My advice is if you are interested in the law--do it. A BA alone would make it more difficult to find employment.
Hi!!

Thank you for your input!! That is my thought process on this subject. Right now I live in the metro area of New York. I do not like living here. In the near future I would love to relocated to Raleigh, NC. Although, in NYC I have seen on Indeed.com that some legal assistants/paralegals can make anywhere from 50k to 80k a year. A part of me feels it is a smart thing to do and an even better thing to have. Having the B.A and the paralegal certificate is beneficial and can open many doors I hope in the working field.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:08 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,318,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
Disagree with the recession-proof comment. Generally, they are among the first to go since most firms want to keep their young attorneys busy first and the work just gets pushed down. And, paralegals cannot practice law. Sure - if you are doing specific blue sky work or similar you need to know specifics, but someone new wouldn't be doing take kind of work.
I agree. It's not a "recession proof" job category at all.

Although I'm sure that paralegal schools that try to sell the program will tell applicants this.

Old 09-15-2018, 10:15 AM

12,999 posts, read 18,835,433 times
I know several who got laid off after the economy collapsed. Fewer projects means fewer lawsuits. Firms less ilkely to update their legal documents when they have no money. Lots of work for bankruptcy firms, true. Now they are hurting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment