Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 09:24 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,933,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
I wonder if anyone else has had this happen. I did web search this topic and found some instances of this.

I have now experienced this at least three times now. I get an email from the recruiter asking me for good dates and times for a phone interview. I reply back with the requested info then the communication terminates. I always verify that the recruiter is legitimately associated with the company so that I do not become a victim of a scam.

I have seen an uptick in strange unprofessional behavior from recruiters in recent years but this takes the cake. I am beginning to think this is just some kind of odd act of aggression, like playing head games.

I would characterize any recruiter that would do something like this as a mental case (as in what I call a "psychology major"...a lot of those in the HR profession). In the 'old days', they didn't waste their time playing these kinds of games. If a candidate was not worthy of consideration, the recruiter simply ignored the person or sent a reject letter - case closed.
It might just be that the recruiter found someone better and didn't bother to get back to you. Or they asked 50 people for phone screen and just took the first five that responded. Happens all the time.

Job hunting on the internet is a bit of a crapshoot. Just have a thick skin and move on. Eventually you'll find something good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 03:47 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,884,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Stay focused and professional.
So everyone else is free to act like a buffoon but the applicant must be perfect and tolerate massive bull.

Old 09-11-2018, 03:50 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,884,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Playing head games? You think the Batman's Riddler or the Joker is in his hideaway doing this?

This is what they do. They use software that take the job requirements and it brings up resumes that match the keywords. Then they use software to blast out e-mail to everyone who was in the match. You never hear back from many of them, because they already found others to submit for the job. If they send this out to 300 people who match, chances are high for them that those who reply within a couple of minutes get the consideration and they focus on those and ignore the rest.

You might wonder why they do this. It saves them time and effort. Also, not everyone who gets an e-mail is interested in changing jobs or is interested in the job, so many don't reply at all even if they took the time to fully research and personalize their search.
For the position group I'm in, there's no way 300 folks qualify unless you're talking the entire talent pool in NYC including one level above and one level down. They are blasting 300 people of which only 30 people actually are ideal or may qualify.

They should be personally reaching out to the top 30 people with customized inquiries and then once they go back and say "No dice" to the employer they can broaden the scope if desired and then e-mail blast those other 270 losers.

They need to do their job and HEAD HUNT and stop SPAMMING.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:54 PM

626 posts, read 626,099 times
I have had this happening more than a couple times this month just like what the OP said. But what's weird is that the very same recruiters doing this then contact me a couple weeks later with exactly the same email/message.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:31 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,933,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfx1024 View Post
I have had this happening more than a couple times this month just like what the OP said. But what's weird is that the very same recruiters doing this then contact me a couple weeks later with exactly the same email/message.
Yeah to them you're just an anonymous entry in a database. They don't remember you from one email to the next. You're assigning them way too much responsibility and intelligence; these are just "numbers game" spammers who are just trying to validate whether your email address is a real person. You have helped them by responding.

Let me repeat: these are SCAMMERS. There are NO JOBS THERE. Ignore them, mark them as spam, and move on.

The real jobs are what you'll find on Linked In, or from networking, or checking specific companies' websites for openings. Do your research and don't rely on some anonymous person on the internet.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:56 AM

4,967 posts, read 2,711,215 times
It is just unprofessional behavior on the recruiter's part, even if they are legitimate (probably not). If they don't reply, just ignore them.

And it is not anything that you are doing wrong. If you were to write back to them in a wacky and unprofessional manner, they should still contact you to say that they are cancelling.

Old 09-16-2018, 05:24 PM

18 posts, read 8,184 times
This is the continuation of RUDE, disrespectful employees and owners of staffing agencies toward their employees. They do it, because the computer allows them to bulk mail to a whole bunch of people at the same time.

If you choose to answer. To curb this Rudeness, write in your reply that you are available 8-5, but if this is a bulk email that is not intended to lead to a phone call to yourself, then to remove you from their email lists.

But personally, imo to curb bad behavior, do not respond to emails that are inside of your state.

If they are inside your state/city, ignore the emails.

These people don't care and win even if you only respond, they get kudos. If you respond, they feel that they are doing their job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
I wonder if anyone else has had this happen. I did web search this topic and found some instances of this.

I have now experienced this at least three times now. I get an email from the recruiter asking me for good dates and times for a phone interview. I reply back with the requested info then the communication terminates. I always verify that the recruiter is legitimately associated with the company so that I do not become a victim of a scam.

I have seen an uptick in strange unprofessional behavior from recruiters in recent years but this takes the cake. I am beginning to think this is just some kind of odd act of aggression, like playing head games.

I would characterize any recruiter that would do something like this as a mental case (as in what I call a "psychology major"...a lot of those in the HR profession). In the 'old days', they didn't waste their time playing these kinds of games. If a candidate was not worthy of consideration, the recruiter simply ignored the person or sent a reject letter - case closed.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:09 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
What is probably happening, is the person that gets in touch with you, and just filling in one more blank, before sending the better prospects to the HM (etc.) to chose who to give an interview to. Once the position is filled, they don't bother to have more contact with the person they sent the request to give a good time for an interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment