Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 01:18 PM

801 posts, read 547,221 times

Advertisements

I recently updated my Linkedin resume, and out of nowhere a recruiter from RoberHalf sent me an e-mail saying he got the perfect opportunity in a town near me. I asked him for the job's title/description and he sent me something.

I did a little bit of a google search I found the description he sent me on Kforce (https://www.kforce.com/jobs/1696~AQG...9/#/?_k=0py5ch) WORD by WORD for a job that's located in College Park, MD. I live in New Jersey btw..

Obviously he copied and paste some generic job description for the sake of telling me what I want to hear.

I used to temp. This isn't the first time they try to pull a bait and switch on me.

Any recruiters here? I've always want to ask this..

What's the point of misleading a candidate? I've noticed most recruiters have never worked (or have an educational background) in the field the do placements for. So, it's up to the candidate to determine if a job is a good match. How do you expect the candidate to do that if you keep them in the dark??

Would you proceed with this recruiter or ghost him?

Last edited by Liar_Liar; 09-11-2018 at 01:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 01:32 PM

58 posts, read 53,756 times
My guess would be that part of their responsibility is to build up their talent database. Recruiters are very quota driven, because it's ultimately a sales job. They are selling your skills and experience to prospective clients who need to fill gaps in their organizations. This recruiter is probably only concerned with getting you signed up in their database, because he probably needs to sign up X amount each month as part of his quota. How he goes about it is probably of no concern to him or his agency.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Chatterboxx- View Post
My guess would be that part of their responsibility is to build up their talent database. Recruiters are very quota driven, because it's ultimately a sales job. They are selling your skills and experience to prospective clients who need to fill gaps in their organizations. This recruiter is probably only concerned with getting you signed up in their database, because he probably needs to sign up X amount each month as part of his quota. How he goes about it is probably of no concern to him or his agency.
I am already signed up with RobertHalf. I did an assignment with them back when I was temping for the sake of getting experience. So, it can't be that.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:38 PM

58 posts, read 53,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
I am already signed up with RobertHalf. I did an assignment with them back when I was temping for the sake of getting experience. So, it can't be that.
At the very least, I'd inquire more about the position. Is it possible that the company operates nationally and has similar positions posted across the US? You have nothing to lose by posing a few questions to the recruiter. If it's too far away, or not worth your time, then kindly tell the recruiter "Thank You", and move on.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:43 PM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
I haven't had a ton of experience with recruiters, but the few I've dealt with were downright AWFUL. No professional etiquette (I actually had one scream at me over the phone as she thought I'd contacted the company directly, which I hadn't), seemingly low to no knowledge of the industry and not nearly as responsive as someone in that role would need to be. Having said that, my wife is in accounting and she's had some wonderful experiences with recruiters so I guess it's simply the luck of the draw as to who you get to deal with.

A lifetime ago I applied for a financial recruiting position. I was very young and I believe the owner of the firm interviewed me out of respect for the employee who recommended me. I knew very little of the job itself and had no sales experience. I could tell very quickly that the job is all about sales and making quotas and we both figured out very quickly that it wasn't a good fit for me.

Old 09-11-2018, 02:38 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
I recently updated my Linkedin resume, and out of nowhere a recruiter from RoberHalf sent me an e-mail saying he got the perfect opportunity in a town near me. I asked him for the job's title/description and he sent me something.

I did a little bit of a google search I found the description he sent me on Kforce (https://www.kforce.com/jobs/1696~AQG...9/#/?_k=0py5ch) WORD by WORD for a job that's located in College Park, MD. I live in New Jersey btw..

Obviously he copied and paste some generic job description for the sake of telling me what I want to hear.

I used to temp. This isn't the first time they try to pull a bait and switch on me.

What's the point of misleading a candidate? I've noticed most recruiters have never worked (or have an educational background) in the field the do placements for. So, it's up to the candidate to determine if a job is a good match. How do you expect the candidate to do that if you keep them in the dark??

I'm going to assume it's because if they tell you who it is, you'll just go and apply with the company directly. It's the same in healthcare, they say "we have a facility in such and such in need of an OT" but they aren't going to say which facility. Why would anyone go through the agency if they know who the client is and can go straight to them?

Old 09-11-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Chatterboxx- View Post
Is it possible that the company operates nationally and has similar positions posted across the US? You have nothing to lose by posing a few questions to the recruiter. If it's too far away, or not worth your time, then kindly tell the recruiter "Thank You", and move on.
Yea.. That might be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I'm going to assume it's because if they tell you who it is, you'll just go and apply with the company directly. It's the same in healthcare, they say "we have a facility in such and such in need of an OT" but they aren't going to say which facility. Why would anyone go through the agency if they know who the client is and can go straight to them?
They don't need to tell me the employer. He could have read the real job description and summarize it in his own words so I actually know what the flipping job is before taking a day off for an interview.

Old 09-11-2018, 03:56 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
Never had success with headhunters. At the very least, I've been sent out of state on wild goose chases. Twice placed, the first one.....I never started. I had accepted an unconditional offer and had even completed my W-4. One week before the start date, the offer was rescinded. Awkward, as I had tendered my resignation and had given notice with my current employer at the time. Terrible feeling.

The second one was very recent. Had to be the most dysfunctional workplace known to mankind. Known to me, anyway. 'Tis no wonder why some companies don't advertise.

I dunno. Maybe they could be quite helpful in certain situations. Maybe if you're in a new town and don't have many contacts, or you're a high level exec or plant manager, etc.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:00 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
The loyalty and confidentiality clause require elusiveness to the tentative hire.

I've yet to see a successful story come out of these entities. Unless your the lawyer getting paid to challenge these headhunters and their tactics.

I sat thru an hour introductory class from a well established headhunter entity. It was filled with cliches and hyped up promises. I left after receiving a packet of paperwork that pretty much told me I couldn't sneeze without their permission. The hilarious part was when they lauded themselves for being the #1 account for this one business in our town. I worked for that very business and we never used these headhunters .

Old 09-11-2018, 08:55 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,586,620 times
Quote:

Why would a guy from Robert Half (a staffing agency) send you something from KForce (another staffing agency)?

Last edited by MongooseHugger; 09-11-2018 at 09:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment