Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 07:48 AM

9,454 posts, read 5,216,910 times

Advertisements

True. If you are leaving, why do you care? And as someone said, if you used this job as a reference, maybe someone called to check, in which case, what does it matter anyway. If he hasn't fired you/laid you off, or asked you to resign, there is nothing here.
It does sound like your boss wants to re-org and downsize. This is nothing personal - happens all the time. Maybe he would keep you, maybe not. But you are leaving. Of more concern is that you seem to have casually mentioned what you refer to as 'anti-semitic' remarks by co-workers rather than formally reporting them (which is what I would have done). And you are upset that you got less of a reaction than you expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 07:20 AM

293 posts, read 190,764 times
Default What to tell boss when quitting?

So I recently just posted here about a weird conversation my boss and I had (long story short: him asking me what my future is with this company, whether it is short term or long term. i told him long term blah blah blah) Mod note: The two threads have been merged.

During this entire time, my boyfriend and I have been actively looking for jobs on the east coast.

I recently just got back home from the east coast for a couple of interviews and have received a job offer (I start October 9 so it starts soon)

Since it's a cross-country move, I'm gonna need some time to get my stuff together and move.

So I'm just gonna give them a 1 ½ week notice as opposed to the usual 2 week notice. (But do you think I should do a week? Or is 1 ½ weeks fine?)

But (not that it should matter too much) I don't even know what to say to my boss, especially after his discussion with me.

Do I just straight-up say 'I am relocating to the east coast'? or 'My partner has just accepted a position on the east coast and I have chosen to move with him', since that makes it seem more like I haven't been planning on leaving this entire time?

I just don't want to burn a bridge and I don't want to come off as if I was blatantly lying when I told my boss I was 'committed' to the company

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-16-2018 at 07:01 PM..

Old 09-16-2018, 07:24 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lm0905 View Post
So I recently just posted here about a weird conversation my boss and I had (long story short: him asking me what my future is with this company, whether it is short term or long term. i told him long term blah blah blah)

During this entire time, my boyfriend and I have been actively looking for jobs on the east coast.

I recently just got back home from the east coast for a couple of interviews and have received a job offer (I start October 9 so it starts soon)

Since it's a cross-country move, I'm gonna need some time to get my stuff together and move.

So I'm just gonna give them a 1 ½ week notice as opposed to the usual 2 week notice. (But do you think I should do a week? Or is 1 ½ weeks fine?)

But (not that it should matter too much) I don't even know what to say to my boss, especially after his discussion with me.

Do I just straight-up say 'I am relocating to the east coast'? or 'My partner has just accepted a position on the east coast and I have chosen to move with him', since that makes it seem more like I haven't been planning on leaving this entire time?

I just don't want to burn a bridge and I don't want to come off as if I was blatantly lying when I told my boss I was 'committed' to the company

I think the bolded part of your statement would be fine. Also 1.5 weeks should be fine too for notice.

You'll be fine. good luck!

Old 09-21-2018, 06:12 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lm0905 View Post
So I recently just posted here about a weird conversation my boss and I had (long story short: him asking me what my future is with this company, whether it is short term or long term. i told him long term blah blah blah) Mod note: The two threads have been merged.

If you don't plan on going back to that company and don't need a good reference, then give them your 1 1/2 week notice. Most employers do require a full two week notice, but they may accept less based on your situation.

Oct 9 is going to be here sooner than you think and at this point you have time to give a two week notice so write it up and submit it today or Monday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment