Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 07:28 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,078 times

Advertisements

Companies want to keep a revolving door to keep wages low and benefits down. You're basically walking on eggshells every hour of that 40 a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 08:39 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
So basically people HAVE to be miserable, because any reports that say people are happier and more satisfied are being manipulated somehow?

That's a convenient position that doesn't allow for argument against it.
Yes, it is like saying that everything is "Fake News", so whatever you hear bad about me isn't true.

Some people here don't know how surveys and studies are done. They don't need cooperation of the employers at all to conduct them.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:55 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,986,308 times
At the end of the day you’re just a number to the sociopaths running the show. You aren’t even human. You’re parasites to starve out. Oh sure, the company may (and probably will) crash and burn in the long run when they can’t retain any good employees and the executives will probably just halve the value of the company. . But so long as the nuts running the show makes off with all the loot before it crashes they don’t care. They will just weasel their way into the next high powered position at a diffferent company and do the same thing. Our current executive team bankrupted 2. previous companies. Naturally, the BOD thought they would be a “good fit” and they are doing the same thing now to this one. If it wasn’t so sad it would be funny. The idiocy of humans never ceases to amaze

Even worse there NO accountability for poor decisions that even a grade school child wouldn’t make. When you don’t hold anyone accountable for poor actions and decisions, how can you expect anything to improve?

Old 09-13-2018, 10:34 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,081,404 times
Some folks on here have touched on some issues, so I'll add some of the main things I've seen in my time in the working world:
  • There really is a disconnect between (upper) management's expectations compared to how things actually work in the lower levels
  • People with actual talents, abilities, and even passion to do something else with their careers (lateral move or otherwise) where they'd be more effective but are pigeon-holed in their current path because they've been doing it for X amount of years - I'm in this hell right now lol
  • Sometimes management allows staffing gaps to go on far too long because it "looks good on the books" (seriously, this BS happened at my last company). Never mind when the remaining staff can't get things done because they're overloaded, stuff gets missed, quality goes down, etc.
  • Limited vacation time - the standard 10 days per year - really isn't a whole lot. Very few American companies offer more than that unless you're with them for a long time. I suppose that wouldn't be such a big deal if the other work place problems were addressed.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:54 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,986,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
Some folks on here have touched on some issues, so I'll add some of the main things I've seen in my time in the working world:
  • There really is a disconnect between (upper) management's expectations compared to how things actually work in the lower levels
  • People with actual talents, abilities, and even passion to do something else with their careers (lateral move or otherwise) where they'd be more effective but are pigeon-holed in their current path because they've been doing it for X amount of years - I'm in this hell right now lol
  • Sometimes management allows staffing gaps to go on far too long because it "looks good on the books" (seriously, this BS happened at my last company). Never mind when the remaining staff can't get things done because they're overloaded, stuff gets missed, quality goes down, etc.
  • Limited vacation time - the standard 10 days per year - really isn't a whole lot. Very few American companies offer more than that unless you're with them for a long time. I suppose that wouldn't be such a big deal if the other work place problems were addressed.

This is a major problem with most companies now. Years ago if you showed your worth, were reliable, valuable, management would find a better position for you higher up the ladder. Thats gone in most places so eventually people just leave. If you have been in the same position for 3-4 years or more, its probably high time to get out because either A: You aren't appreciated and you're being used or taken advantage of, or the place is being cheap and not offering career advancement.

The only way not to be pigeon-holed now is to just leave. if you stay you're probably gonna end up doing the same damn job for the next 20-30 years (especially if you're valuable).

You can rest assured you will lose your passion if you had any the next few years. And all your talents and abilities will be going to waste

Old 09-13-2018, 11:06 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,209,955 times
From my experience , once the conpanies lay off people, they expect remaining employees to take on the work, so people are pushed to their breaking point.

Old 09-13-2018, 12:14 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
This is a major problem with most companies now. Years ago if you showed your worth, were reliable, valuable, management would find a better position for you higher up the ladder. Thats gone in most places so eventually people just leave. If you have been in the same position for 3-4 years or more, its probably high time to get out because either A: You aren't appreciated and you're being used or taken advantage of, or the place is being cheap and not offering career advancement.

The only way not to be pigeon-holed now is to just leave. if you stay you're probably gonna end up doing the same damn job for the next 20-30 years (especially if you're valuable).

You can rest assured you will lose your passion if you had any the next few years. And all your talents and abilities will be going to waste
I'm basically stuck where I am because of this.

Let's say you're on the application side of the house in IT, but want to move into some sort of systems position. A lot of places won't allow you to make a lateral move, or even move into an entry-level role in another department.

Old 09-13-2018, 12:40 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,081,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

Let's say you're on the application side of the house in IT, but want to move into some sort of systems position. A lot of places won't allow you to make a lateral move, or even move into an entry-level role in another department.
Exact problem I'm running into as I've been trying to switch from manufacturing engineering to design. Companies in general want you to do the same friggin job until the end of time, even if you'd be better suited for something else.

Old 09-13-2018, 03:18 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
Because of social media/Internet.

Now you are in a position to hear the complaints of millions of people you don't even know.

Hey, OP, how many people have told you face to face about their work woes? I think you are suffering from a cognitive bias.

Old 09-13-2018, 03:20 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

Or MAYBE...it's actually because you have made 27 posts on CD since you arrived in the office at 8:30 this morning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment