Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 05:11 PM

21,910 posts, read 9,483,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grateful_pete View Post
but now I'm making about $25/hr working from home in my free time.
Sure you do. You lost me when you posted the link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 05:27 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Because modern day management behaves in a manner similar to the plantation owners of the U.S. South of the 1800s.

Yep.. They dont look at their workforce as human. Just a statistic to abuse.

Old 09-15-2018, 05:39 PM

832 posts, read 1,254,069 times
I would say that this has something to do with the Internet and young people making lot of money by doing what they love... I mean you work your ass off +40h per week to barely pay your bills then you see on youtube a 25 years old making tens of thousands per month doing something he / she enjoy... This does take a toll on your mind

Old 09-15-2018, 06:12 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
I would say that this has something to do with the Internet and young people making lot of money by doing what they love... I mean you work your ass off +40h per week to barely pay your bills then you see on youtube a 25 years old making tens of thousands per month doing something he / she enjoy... This does take a toll on your mind
A lot of that is BS. There are a few wiz kids doing that, but they are few and far between.

Old 09-15-2018, 06:33 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,915,239 times
Quote:
Because modern day management behaves in a manner similar to the plantation owners of the U.S. South of the 1800s.
The funny thing is some people on this forum actually think things like this without being sarcastic.

Last edited by Lekrii; 09-15-2018 at 07:01 PM..

Old 09-16-2018, 06:38 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
The average CEO pay package is around $300k/year, not 300x what an employee makes. The 300x statistic is from the 500 largest public companies in the US only. That number drops to around 70:1 when compared to the 3000 largest public companies, and drops to around $300k/year for CEOs of all companies. Given there are millions of companies in the US, it's strange to use a statistic only relevant to the 500 largest of them.

No one ever said finding a way to add value to a company is easy. That doesn't make it the incorrect thing to do. This is part of the problem, no one gets their dream job by doing what's 'easy'.
Why wouldn't you use the major companies when talking about CEO pay? After you get past the top 500-1000 or so, it's just a title people give themselves, not meaningful at all. I know people running one or two person shops that call themselves "CEO." Not the same thing at all.

Quote:
Don't be insulting to plantation owners. At least they were honest about what they were doing.

Quote:
The funny thing is some people on this forum actually think things like this without being sarcastic.
If you've never experienced that kind of management then count yourself lucky. I had never experienced it either. Until I did.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:11 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,915,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Why wouldn't you use the major companies when talking about CEO pay? After you get past the top 500-1000 or so, it's just a title people give themselves, not meaningful at all. I know people running one or two person shops that call themselves "CEO." Not the same thing at all.
Because I dont cherry pick numbers to try and manipulate statistics?

And no, you haven't experienced the kind of management that's similar to '1800s plantation owners'. If you did work for someone who didn't pay you and didn't let you quit, I recommend calling a lawyer.

Or, you could not use silly analogies

Old 09-16-2018, 07:30 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
Quote:
Wrong again. There are always options to change.
Wrong again. People "staying where they are" as as likely a reflection of how bad other choices are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
If you want a good job, select a place where you can add great value.
That is non-operational advice for many workers. It's a bit like saying to someone "If you are homeless build a house!"

Old 09-16-2018, 07:36 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicGal View Post
In my experience, jobs have become increasingly unpleasant due to additional duties and stressful responsibilities.
This needs to be underscored. The advent of the matrix management is a great example of this. The concept grew out of the realization that each person, in addition to practicing a certain craft, was also part of a value chain delivering value to customers. More and more, the "rules" of matrix management are being ignored by management, resulting in employees being less clear about what is expected of them. Effectively, more and more of us are having conflicting expectations place on us, management shifting its burden of making hard choices onto their employees. Now, it is driven down to the lowest level person in the matrix to decide which of their two managers to please.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:41 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Because I dont cherry pick numbers to try and manipulate statistics?

And no, you haven't experienced the kind of management that's similar to '1800s plantation owners'. If you did work for someone who didn't pay you and didn't let you quit, I recommend calling a lawyer.

Or, you could not use silly analogies
It's not cherry picking to exclude things that are not part of the set. Otherwise everyone could be a CEO and then CEO pay would equal worker pay.

What, you don't like analogies? Analogies are a great way to make a point.

Besides, you never heard of company script and company stores? Company owned housing in a company town? How about sharecropping? My dad grew up the son of a sharecropper. You did all the work, took all the financial risk, the owner got the biggest percentage of the crop, and you still had to pay rent to the owner and buy the seed from the owner. Sharecropping, company housing, company stores, company script all create an untenable cycle of debt bondage. Still goes on today. It's one of the darker sides of illegal immigration. Also to some extent H1bs, and things like med school and grad school thrive on a modern version of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment