Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 11:35 AM

7 posts, read 2,672 times

Advertisements

I got denied surgery from workers comp.My job as a fire sprinkler fitter placed me back with the foreman I got hurt with. He's not really following Dr orders on what I can do. On top of that on Mondays and Tuesdays I come into work at 7am. My wife works nights leave her job an hour early and I come in a hour late,so my wife can watch our three year old son. This been going on for a year no issue, Now the big boss said if I'm not there at 6 my boss is gonna write me up each time. What can be done? I feel like they want to get rid me. Should I have my wife quit her job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 11:52 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,471,399 times
Regarding your schedule, just because they let you get away with it for a long time doesn't mean they won't change their mind (as they are doing now). You will have to find a way to make it work as you WILL be fired for this.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:53 AM

6,455 posts, read 7,763,074 times
Having your wife quit her job is really a decision we can't weigh in on since it depends on your situation.

What you can do is talk with the big boss and/or your direct boss about what is going on. If you are a good worker, they'll be flexible. If they want to get rid of you, they can.

Best of luck.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:44 PM

thanks your right

Old 09-17-2018, 01:05 PM
YAZ

7,701 posts, read 14,049,879 times
I've seen this happen before. I've also seen FMLA and HIPAA laws pushed to the limits. As an employee, your ducks not only have to be in a row, they have to be in order within .001 of an inch. In the end, your employer will get what they want....unless you have some sort of blatant egregious behavior against them that's easily documented.

Not sure, but I'm assuming the OP has certain work restrictions. Those restrictions most likely don't cover being late a couple of times per week. Not to mention, if one is restricted from doing certain tasks, the boss can send him home.

Nice employers don't do that.

Up to you, Mr. Hodges. But it seems that you have a target on your back.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
I've seen this happen before. I've also seen FMLA and HIPAA laws pushed to the limits. As an employee, your ducks not only have to be in a row, they have to be in order within .001 of an inch. In the end, your employer will get what they want....unless you have some sort of blatant egregious behavior against them that's easily documented.

Not sure, but I'm assuming the OP has certain work restrictions. Those restrictions most likely don't cover being late a couple of times per week. Not to mention, if one is restricted from doing certain tasks, the boss can send him home.

Nice employers don't do that.

Up to you, Mr. Hodges. But it seems that you have a target on your back.
I agree a whole year it's fine and once I get a lawyer now I need to be there at 6? I dont want to be fired so I'm gonna have my wife quit since I make more,this is stressful....

Old 09-17-2018, 07:01 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,176,349 times
Sure you want your wife to quit if it looks like they're trying to get rid of you. Maybe she should keep the job if it's stable and you should look for another. What happens if she quits and you get fired two weeks later?

Old 09-17-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
Sure you want your wife to quit if it looks like they're trying to get rid of you. Maybe she should keep the job if it's stable and you should look for another. What happens if she quits and you get fired two weeks later?
I make alot more then her at least if they get rid of me it won't be hard for unemployment unless it's due to me being late,I don't want them to fire me because of that.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:55 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,260,188 times
If you're able to do the work, you're in a fairly valuable field.
My step son was injured due to negligence on the part of someone else. It's a horrible place to be.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:02 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,571,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhodges09 View Post
I make alot more then her at least if they get rid of me it won't be hard for unemployment unless it's due to me being late,I don't want them to fire me because of that.
That’s just stupid.

Find another job first (either of you) that will accommodate the schedule.

Or

Alternate tardies to stretch it out while you do so. This gives you two employers that would have to cross t’s and dot i’s on a potential UI claim.

Just an FYI. in the eyes of the UI system, you have a terrible case for a substantial change to employment agreement contention. You were late a lot, they warned you. Your UNSUBTANTIATED workers comp claim has nothin g to do with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment