Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 10:37 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,984,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
You have a point here, but your relentlessly negative attitude takes you to the wrong conclusion.

I am committed to my employees. I foster their career development and success. I invest time and training in them. The OP’s resume shows me a person that probably isn’t worth investing in.

I can prove to prospective employees that I do this. I can show them pay scales and generous benefits. I can have them talk to coworkers that have been at my employer for 20+ years. I have a track record that can be documented.

Resumes like the OP do not show the same track record on the part of the applicant. OP needs to develop something like that if s/he is interested in reciprocity in the future.
Isolated instances mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. I’m sorry. By and large this is NOT the case at most companies. Employers aren’t committed to anyone’s training, career growth. They’re just an expense to minimize and discarded as soon as possible or they become “too expensive”

Then they have the audacity to come back and whine when they can’t retain any decent employees and their turnover is sky high. Truly comical

Most places don’t deserve to be in business today quite frankly. They got nutjubs, psychopaths, sociopaths or a combination of all 3 running the show. Not even decent human beings. Many just like to see others suffer. “
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 10:39 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,209,489 times
If you're looking to stay in sales..I dont think it's unusual to hop around..go for highest paying less stressful to you

Old 09-19-2018, 10:39 AM

185 posts, read 143,247 times
Op, unless you're family or part of a great network, forget about 'checking boxes' and focus on what you can offer.

Your work history would be a RED FLAG for me, because of time of employment. Its as if you were there long enough for them to discover that you weren't a keeper. At least, that's what it says to me.

Forget about pay and school history. (Without the right family and networking) It's meaningless. It potentially tells a prospective employer what you 'were' worth somewhere else 'before' they let you go. It's only worth something to the current employer, and believe me, they're always re-evaluating that worth.

Let's look at this another way. You're young, like your fellow graduates. What's missing for all of you? EXPERIENCE. You will never have the same EXPERIENCE as someone who's 20 years your senior.

REDEFINE how you compete. Don't compete on something you don't have. Compete on something you're better at!

Old 09-19-2018, 11:44 AM

740 posts, read 456,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Commitment is give and take. If the employer isn’t committed to their employee and career growth why I. The world should the employee be committed? If you have been at a place for 2 years or so, doing great and capable of more and they leave you where you’re at, there’s no point of sticking around. You’ll be in the same place probably 10 years later

People leave because there is no real commitment on the employers part. Everyone just wants to “take take take” these days. That’s not how a successful business runs. It’s “ I scratch your back, you scratch mine”

Employers wonder why they can’t retain quality employees? You treated them like trash for years and you expect them stick around? It’s no different than an abusive relationship

Did you even read my whole post? So, you are telling me if you are a hiring manager or you own your own business, you would have no issue hiring people who quit their jobs 8-12 times within a 2 year period, is that correct? If someone can not commit to working for a year or two in the same company, they are not worth investing.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:57 AM

801 posts, read 547,432 times
If employers don't hire job hoppers, then how is it possible that people CAN job hop???

Wouldn't someone who have held 3 jobs in 3 years be forced to stay put hence making job hopping impossible??

At my current position, I have access to see everyone salary and w.e. resume they submitted on their applications. I've noticed that most of the people that are pulling six figure job hop like crazy. They learn new skills, move to different states, move to different companies, switch careers path, get new certifications. They hop from places to places every 1 - 3 years until they land on a job title that pays them big.

Move on with your life as soon as you get a sweeter deal, dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post
Did you even read my whole post? So, you are telling me if you are a hiring manager or you own your own business, you would have no issue hiring people who quit their jobs 8-12 times within a 2 year period, is that correct? If someone can not commit to working for a year or two in the same company, they are not worth investing.
I've never met anyone who is serious about their career switch job that often. But, if no one hire job hoppers, how did person manage to hop so many times in the first place???

Last edited by Liar_Liar; 09-19-2018 at 12:08 PM..

Old 09-19-2018, 12:18 PM

2,954 posts, read 1,411,689 times
Perhaps many employers won't consider job hoppers, but many do. I've noticed in bigger cities where work tends to be more plentiful, job hopping is very typical and one can easily find something.
Unfortunately it might be a bad job, so the job hopping cycle continues. It can become its own vicious circle.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:26 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,638,650 times
Your salary should not even be on your resume for any reason. Negotiate your salary range when you are being offered an actual position.
Take the salary off as well as stating you resigned and your reasons. Just leave your title, term of employment and summary of your duties at each company.

Anything else should be discussed face-to-face in your interview.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:35 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
If employers don't hire job hoppers, then how is it possible that people CAN job hop???

Wouldn't someone who have held 3 jobs in 3 years be forced to stay put hence making job hopping impossible??
It’s definitely possible to job hop. I don’t think anybody denies that. The question is whether it has a negative impact on the type of jobs you are able to land.

Will you get better jobs by hopping, or will you work yourself into a succession of lateral moves? OP seems to have a lateral momentum to his career. If you average his one high-paying job with his 4-6 months ofunemplyment, he has been a pretty consistent earner.

Quote:
At my current position, I have access to see everyone salary and w.e. resume they submitted on their applications. I've noticed that most of the people that are pulling six figure job hop like crazy. They learn new skills, move to different states, move to different companies, switch careers path, get new certifications. They hop from places to places every 1 - 3 years until they land on a job title that pays them big.
Some people, with certain skill sets, in some industries can do this. It isn’t the norm.

OP is a recent graduate with a middling entry-level resume. There aren’t any six figure jobs there, there aren’t any newsworthy accomplishments. There aren’t any 3 year jobs there. There is the very beginning of a career, which could be built in a couple of different manners. Comparing the OP to a high demand, highly skilled individual with accomplishments who has a track record of staying around to finish a project (assuming that can be done in 1-3 years) is an error.

Old 09-19-2018, 03:06 PM

4,271 posts, read 6,296,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Isolated instances mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. I’m sorry. By and large this is NOT the case at most companies. Employers aren’t committed to anyone’s training, career growth. They’re just an expense to minimize and discarded as soon as possible or they become “too expensive”

Then they have the audacity to come back and whine when they can’t retain any decent employees and their turnover is sky high. Truly comical

Most places don’t deserve to be in business today quite frankly. They got nutjubs, psychopaths, sociopaths or a combination of all 3 running the show. Not even decent human beings. Many just like to see others suffer. “
I'll quote your own post in response to your post:
Isolated instances mean nothing in the grand scheme of things.

People who have good experiences in the work force are not isolated instances.

You are consistently quick to shut down anyone that speaks positively of corporate entities. I have worked for several employers who have definitely committed to train me and grow my career. I have only been laid off once in 30+ years, and it was during the economic downturn in 2009 when a LOT of folks were getting laid off.

I would like to think that my positive personal experience in the workforce is based upon the fact that I'm hard-working, dedicated, do my job well, am pro-active, problem-solving and and generally enjoy working for work's sake. And (shocker!) my bosses and the companies for whom I work tend to appreciate that and reward me either with money (salary and/or bonuses) or perks (such as working from home, flexible hours, etc.).

Old 09-19-2018, 03:10 PM

801 posts, read 547,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
It’s definitely possible to job hop. I don’t think anybody denies that. The question is whether it has a negative impact on the type of jobs you are able to land.

Will you get better jobs by hopping, or will you work yourself into a succession of lateral moves? OP seems to have a lateral momentum to his career. If you average his one high-paying job with his 4-6 months ofunemplyment, he has been a pretty consistent earner.
The guy went from 32K to 45K. That's a 40% raise in 4 years' time, if I am not mistaken. I wouldn't call that lateral movement.

Quote:

OP is a recent graduate with a middling entry-level resume. There aren’t any six figure jobs there, there aren’t any newsworthy accomplishments. There aren’t any 3 year jobs there. There is the very beginning of a career, which could be built in a couple of different manners. Comparing the OP to a high demand, highly skilled individual with accomplishments who has a track record of staying around to finish a project (assuming that can be done in 1-3 years) is an error.
I wasn't saying OP qualifies for a six figure job. I was just pointing out that job hopping didn't hurt people I know of as far as salary is concerned. They didn't get a six figure job in their 20's. They got there some times between 35 - 40 years. They were making moves similar to what OP is currently doing judging from their resumes.

I was making 12/hr after finishing college in 2014. I go back to my old workplace every now and then (retail bank) and the people that stick around are now holding positions that pay them a few bucks more than they were earning 2.5 years ago. I would have been right beside them if I didn't job hop. I am earning near 6 figures already...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment