Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 06:07 PM

39 posts, read 25,752 times

Advertisements

RESUME:

- MAY 2014, B.S., in Political Science

- JUN. 2014 to SEP. 2015, Paralegal (resigned - company was acquired, role obsolete) (15 mos.) $32k

- SEP. 2015 to MAY 2016, Acct. Mgr (resigned - better offer) (8 mos.) $41k

- MAY 2016 to MAY 2017, Acct. Mgr (resigned - personal) (12 mos.) $72k

- EMPLOMENT GAP: STARTED NON-PROFIT - (4 mos.)

- OCT. 2017 to NOW, Acct. Mgr (12 mos.) $45k

QUESTION:

Should I stay in my current role (somewhat volatile sales role with base + commissions) and establish longevity and a sense of loyalty on my resume?

Should I try my luck again and try to find a higher paying job with less stress?

My current job has potential to increase take-home pay but it's draining and sales (B2C) can be tedious and degrading to be frank.

Note: Zero upward mobility possible in current role under any circumstances - just slightly more income.

I'm 27.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 06:56 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,985,438 times
Keep job hopping. Fact is, there is NO benefit to sticking around at the same employer anymore. Most places don’t care about their workforce anymore. If you stuck at the same place you would probably still be making $35k/year

Old 09-19-2018, 07:06 AM

146 posts, read 100,132 times
Quote:
MAY 2016 to MAY 2017, Acct. Mgr (resigned - personal) (12 mos.) $72k
being forced out but offered the opportunity to resign is not the same as resigning for personal reasons. You were fired and then forced to take a lower paying job. Anyone viewing that on your resume will know it.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:25 AM

39 posts, read 25,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpertAnalysis View Post
being forced out but offered the opportunity to resign is not the same as resigning for personal reasons. You were fired and then forced to take a lower paying job. Anyone viewing that on your resume will know it.
I've never been fired from a job. Period. I have separation documents from every role to certify this.

An attorney I'm close to giving me a heads up before SHE quits that the firm was being acquired by a larger one allowing me to secure something new MONTHS before HR was scheduled to get involved isn't me being forced out.

Again - the May 2016 role was one that I walked away from. My boss called me for weeks after dropping hints that I could come back.

I'll repeat my question(s):

Should I stay in my current role (somewhat volatile sales role with base + commissions) and establish longevity and a sense of loyalty on my resume?

Should I try my luck again and try to find a higher paying job with less stress?

I'm 27.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:27 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,081,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Keep job hopping. Fact is, there is NO benefit to sticking around at the same employer anymore. Most places don’t care about their workforce anymore. If you stuck at the same place you would probably still be making $35k/year
Job hopping with sound reasons, of course. As in for a promotion/higher pay, more interesting job duties, etc. I agree there's very little point in sticking around these days. At all of my jobs, the only long term benefits would've been at the five year mark: an extra week of vacation and employer vesting with your 401k. So far, it hasn't been worth it to put up with an employer's crap long enough to get to that point.

OP, it's not going to hurt to apply and see what's out there, especially if you're looking for less stress. However, with your history for leaving at around a year or less, I would make certain the next role you take is good enough to potentially stick around a bit longer.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:28 AM

2,954 posts, read 1,411,905 times
Go for more money and if you do get a job making more money, try to save as much as possible.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:32 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,568 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
That is a generalization and does not apply in all cases by any means. If you find the right employer, it may be best to stay there. I have been at the same place for 9 years, started at $53,000, now at $92,000.
My advice is go ahead and look, but don't quit until you have a new job. The hopping and gap may or may not be a problem depending on the employer and how badly they need your skills.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:42 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,916,627 times
You're still young, it's going to look worse and worse over time if you keep switching jobs every year.

You'll still be able to find jobs, but companies will hesitate to consider you as a candidate based on that type of history. The biggest risk right now is 2016 - 2017, resigning for 'personal' reasons, then taking a significantly lower paying job tells me you were fired. There's a lot to be said for having a good 3-4 years with the job you have now to show no matter why you left, you are a reliable employee.

I know you said you weren't fired, but that IS what some employers are going to think given that job history, like it or not.

Last edited by Lekrii; 09-19-2018 at 07:53 AM..

Old 09-19-2018, 07:50 AM

4,271 posts, read 6,296,510 times
Four jobs in four years. I think any company hiring you would be worried you are flight risk and may not be that willing to invest much in you (and by "invest" I mean training, growth, opportunity - not just salary) during your first year there. At which point you'll be dissatisfied and look to leave, thereby creating a continuing problem for yourself.

Be advised that while job hopping may not be looked down on by some companies, by others it IS frowned upon. Throughout my 20s I job hopped - never stayed longer than 18 months at a job. When I moved to NYC at age 27 I met with several recruiters who all said it would be difficult to place me because companies didn't want to waste their time and money training someone only to have them leave a year later. Fortunately, I found a company (through a recruiter) that had me work as a long-term temp and then hired me permanently after three months.

I think you should absolutely look for another job if you feel it necessary, but make a personal commitment to stay there at LEAST two years to give them the opportunity to see that you are worth investing in, and helping you grow professionally. At your first annual review you can tell them what you've learned in the first year, and where you'd like to go moving forward. That shows them you are with them for the long haul.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:56 AM

6,558 posts, read 8,389,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design It View Post
RESUME:

- MAY 2014, B.S., in Political Science

- JUN. 2014 to SEP. 2015, Paralegal (resigned - company was acquired, role obsolete) (15 mos.) $32k

- SEP. 2015 to MAY 2016, Acct. Mgr (resigned - better offer) (8 mos.) $41k

- MAY 2016 to MAY 2017, Acct. Mgr (resigned - personal) (12 mos.) $72k

- EMPLOMENT GAP: STARTED NON-PROFIT - (4 mos.)

- OCT. 2017 to NOW, Acct. Mgr (12 mos.) $45k

QUESTION:

My current job has potential to increase take-home pay but it's draining and sales (B2C) can be tedious and degrading to be frank.

Note: Zero upward mobility possible in current role under any circumstances - just slightly more income.

I'm 27.
I don't see any issue with looking for a new job at this point. Some fields/employers will see the job hopping as a negative. They'll review your resume and won't even give you the opportunity to explain why you resigned from each position. They'll just place it in the "No" file and move on. No skin off your back, right? Others won't mind, and they may contact you.

My advice though - is be mindful about your next move. Your next job shouldn't be just about getting out of your role. Your next job should be your ideal job - it meets your needs for salary and opportunities for advancement. Your next job should be the one you plan to stay at for the long-term so don't take just any opportunity that comes your way - take the right opportunity. Because you want to avoid having yet another short-term stint listed on your resume.

If this is your actual resume - don't list the salary or reasons why you left each position. Save that for the application or interview. Or you can give a brief summary in your cover letter.

Are you still working the non-profit you started? A four month employment gap is not excessive and isn't a negative. Starting something and then quitting after four months is a negative. If you're not currently working the non-profit, don't list it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment