Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 06:15 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Manager here. 14 + direct reports across 2 depts. and more with dotted lines. Nobody replied that they would like to be in management. That tells me this is a pretty biased thread.

To be candid, it is tough. Emotionally draining. I must say that I enjoyed not having the responsibility when I did not manage. But I also must say that I like the money and exposure and the fact that I am listened to. I like the control. I also like the respect I get and that I am considered as a big success with my family and friends. It's nice having my own large office too. But there are trade offs of course. I would not mind stepping down and doing the more hands on stuff but I also kind of like the go go go and the fact that I am never dismissed and what I say matters.

I remember when I was in my late 20's and could not afford much. I took a trip with my mother and our rental car was upgraded to a Ford Explorer I think, or something much nicer than I was used to. My mother kept saying how nice it was and that someday maybe I can buy a car that nice. I scoffed and said that I wouldn't even if I could and that I didn't like the car because (insert any stupid BS reason). It was all BS, just like many replies in this thread. I just didn't want to want because I didn't want to be disappointed or feel like a failure if I never "made it". I think many would take a management role not only for the money but because it feels good to the ego for many reasons. But yeah, there are absolutely trade offs, big ones.

So you've "managed" to improve your finances and thus enhance your ego? Now I have more understanding of why my direct manager was upset that for several months my check was more than hers do to all the overtime, holidays, nights, and weekends I worked while she was home. Sometimes real work helping patients is worth quite a bit for finances and ego also. I know the patients appreciate a nurse who is thinking of THEM, not themselves or their car. (no "stupid BS" here)

BTW, all the overtime was due to the manager's wonderful skill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 06:21 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Some people don't need the validation of other human beings. You can be a "success" without being some corporate management big shot. Its not for everyone.

I tried "shift lead" thing one time. I was given the necessary resources to succeed (Ie: a good team). Had a good manager that understand the importance of my dept and what was needed to get things done. . Once she was forced into early retirement I literally couldn't pick the team I wanted and lost my best guy because of forced transfer to another dept. Made NO SENSE at all. . If you're given the resources and team to get things done thats one thing. If not, forget about it.

Other idiots literally told me who I could have and couldn't. It was the same idiots that wanted to me to bail them out of trouble later on. Never again.
Ok, so as a manager or team lead or whatever title, the org should give you the power to do what needs to be done. If not, you need to take the power and do what needs to be done. That may mean some difficult conversations. Not everyone on a team is going to be great/good. If they are, you are lucky and have it easy. If you need to get rid of someone, then you need to build the case and hammer away at it. That's were the emotional energy comes in. If a person is not performing, that person needs to be given attention and coached and all that coaching needs to be documented in case they do not or (in most cases) cannot perform and must be pushed out. Get HR on board early and document away at it.

It's a matter of understanding how things work in your specific org.

Yes, of course many don't need the validation of others but I am just being candid as a man. It feels good to be the guy in charge. If another man can't understand that, then Ok. Whether it's worth it is another question - I am just being honest that it feels good to be the boss. I recognize that it's easier not to be in charge, I also recognize that it is a big ego boost and those things matter.

That said, there are many days (many many) where I would be happier in my previous non-management role. I was still making very good $ (pretty well north of 100k) and things were simpler. I am not knocking either role.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
So you've "managed" to improve your finances and thus enhance your ego? Now I have more understanding of why my direct manager was upset that for several months my check was more than hers do to all the overtime, holidays, nights, and weekends I worked while she was home. Sometimes real work helping patients is worth quite a bit for finances and ego also. I know the patients appreciate a nurse who is thinking of THEM, not themselves or their car. (no "stupid BS" here)

BTW, all the overtime was due to the manager's wonderful skill.
What?

I can't help how your manager feels regarding your check or anything like that. I'm just giving the many non-managers some perspective. Trying to help.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:24 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Managing managers is probably easier than managing employees these days. You have to earn the respect of the employees and have to show you know what the heck you're talking about and doing.
That shouldn't be hard if you came from the same group you are now managing. But it is a very modern POV to say that a manager has to earn the respect of their employees. No more fear-based managing where everyone is just nice to you because you... oh I don't know... have direct control over their well being?

Old 09-24-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Spoken like a manager.......
That's very meaningful and insightful.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:41 PM

174 posts, read 194,068 times
I turned my back on management track in an analytic/consulting firm and went for being a subject matter expert instead. Much less aggravation, no real difference in pay over time. I strongly preferred to work on our client's intractable problems rather than our own internal ones.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:44 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
That shouldn't be hard if you came from the same group you are now managing. But it is a very modern POV to say that a manager has to earn the respect of their employees. No more fear-based managing where everyone is just nice to you because you... oh I don't know... have direct control over their well being?

In the old days this was true. But how many people rise through the ranks of the underling into management positions now? If you were take a poll, you will find most managers are brought in from outside the industry without Clue 1 of what the heck to do. Meanwhile, those internally who may have went for the position were disregarded so there will naturally be some resentment there.

where I work now, all managers are hired directly from outside the company and because they managed an operation in Company A, that AUTOMATICALLY makes them qualified to Run a completely unrelated company B. Then if they come in acting like Napoleon, thinking they know your job better than you, thats even a bigger issue. This type of nonsense will sink a ship pretty quick. Its pretty much sunk the one Im on.

Most companies can't function properly if most all of its management are completely clueless and from outside the industry.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:02 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
I don't. I want to do my job and when I am finished for the day, I'm finished.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:49 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,664,594 times
I manage projects. The people part comes as part of my duties. But, none of the people on the project report directly to me and I like it that way. Once the project ends, I'm done and move on to my next thing.
My ex is a warden at a federal pen. He says the people he manages are sometimes worse than the inmates. Says he'd rather deal with the prisoners as opposed to his direct reports some days lol.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:00 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
I am also a manager. I have a few dozen people report to me, directly and indirectly, over a few departments. I manage managers, technical SMEs, and a few support admins.

I am not a manager because I love telling people what to do. In fact I rarely tell people what to do. I am a manager because I like my job, I like the ultimate goal, I like what can be accomplished towards that goal, and I can get more accomplished if I have a group of people working towards a common purpose.

As a manager I view my job as getting rid of barriers for my staff. I handle administrative issues and budgets. I determine priorities, and I create systems and processes to accomplish my departmental goals.

I train and develop my employees. Partly because it is a good, ethical and humane thing to do, and partly because it makes for more efficient, effective, productive and happy workers.

I also earn more than my employees, and I am not going to apologize for that or cut any of them checks. If necessary, I have the last word and final decision in disputed matters, and I also have the ability to hire, fire, promote, assign overtime or change job duties. Yes, I get respect from a number of people, and I am generally viewed as successful. Again, no apologies. I have worked hard for it, I have helped others attain similar success, and I continue to try and assist others.

I don’t want to present a fictional picture of my work life. Some employees are very happy, I have been able to mentor others. I also have a few who cannot stand to be in the same room as I am, and a couple who think I am a complete knucklehead.

All in all, management is an option as a path in life. There are other valid paths, and if others prefer those paths, that is great for them. I don’t hate or judge those who choose a non-management path, and I think it is petty when others despise people who are managers simply for their choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment