Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 08:09 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlebeH View Post
Thanks for the information about the forum. Maybe I just want to figure out a way to get a side job for extra income.
That's something for you to figure out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 12:15 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
how about setting up a lamp server to hax around with. i sometimes create mini projects like this just to keep my practice up:
march madness: cities with the best collection of division-1 colleges/universities witin a 5-mile radius

maybe check out local hackathons in your area.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Azure free account for 12 months, plus $200 credit for 30 days:

What does it mean $0.021/hour? How should I use $200 (for learning)?

Thanks.
yikes. just use mysql.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

If you want easy money in IT, be a .NET developer. There's plenty of those making insane money who have NO idea what they're doing. The good ones are few and far between.

It's insulting when people think our job is easy.
Quote:
Let me try the path of .NET developer. Is free Community version of Visual Studio okay for building most software?

Thanks.
isnt python soup-du-jour these days ?

Old 09-25-2018, 01:53 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
I was a Unix Sys Admin for an automated drafting system for an engineering department. We started with a Sun server and a Sybase database. So I also became the DBA. After using a proprietary system installed by Xerox for a number of years we decided to reprogram the whole system in house and move to HP servers and an Oracle database to save on the Xerox rental and maintenance fees.

When we reprogrammed the automated drafting system in house I designed the database and installed and set up the new HP servers. Being a Sys Admin gave me a better handle on being a DBA and vice versa. Unix scripts allowed me to automate all my database queries and move the results to other programs. Being a sys admin was more interesting than being a dba. The majority of my time was being a sys admin. DBA tasks were minimal once everything was set up and automated.

Being a sys admin was not just creating accounts, doing backups and restorations and setting passwords. I had to understand hardware, software, networking, raids, peripherals, and how to immediately find and stop runaway processes before they crashed the server hard drives. I learned to set up and install a server from scratch, including partitioning the drives, installing the OS, installing programs and writing unix shell scripts to automate processes like backups and data dumps and generate confirmation emails that the processes had occurred, set up communications and networking with other platforms and peripherals, install hardware boards and drives and memory.

Sys admin jobs can start at junior levels. I don't know how much of a pay cut you will have to take if you become a jr. sys admin. Sys admin jobs are often available on evening and night shifts.

Ed Snowden was a unix sys admin. When politicians said he didn't have security clearance for certain programs I had to laugh. The sys admin has access to everything and controls everything. As a sys admin you can destroy a whole server in about 10 seconds so you have to know what you are doing, be cool under pressure and be 100% trustworthy.

Last edited by bobspez; 09-25-2018 at 02:05 PM..

Old 09-25-2018, 02:20 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
isnt python soup-du-jour these days ?
There's plenty of demand for it according to Indeed but I have yet to meet an actual python developer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment