Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 02:37 PM

1,104 posts, read 916,900 times

Advertisements

A while back a friendly co-worker went sick. I covered their work for the day. They came back and got mad about how it was done. No one figured why, all the work was done normal. Their behavior went childish - refusing to reply to me, not co-operating, mimicking my talk, making jokes about me to my face, ranting when I approached to discuss it, really ridiculous behavior. I couldn't figure out what I'd done wrong.

After weeks of this, on Monday, they decided that they wanted to go for another sassy rant at me while smiling to my face in the middle of my tasks. I lost my temper and yelled at them (not shouting but raised voice) in a controlled way to sit down, shut up, and keep it shut. They protested, so I spent several more seconds commanding the initial instruction, in very specific, and no uncertain terms. They were visibly shaken and sat down. They had obviously thought I was a pushover. Within an hour they handed in their notice without a job to go to.

Am I supposed to feel about this? My head is saying this a loss because surely reason would have won eventually. Things could have been dealt with. But my heart is saying that would never have happened - justice was served. Obviously it's not a lesson to start yelling every time I don't get my way. Then again it's clear that many people aren't available to reason no matter however you present it to them.

So what do you think? Which side do you take? And do other people have stories of getting rid of crappy co-workers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2018, 02:48 PM

10,600 posts, read 12,069,671 times
So you're saying a co-worker up and suddenly quit because -- one time -- you raised your voice and told him/her to sit down and shut up -- and basically told the person what for?

Don't know if I believe this is even true.

Old 09-28-2018, 02:51 PM

23,098 posts, read 18,507,181 times
IMHO BOTH of you behaved like children. You both made the whole issue about yourselves. Justice? What justice? A coworker didn't show you the appreciation you expected. They should have. Get over it. You just lowered yourself to their level. Workplaces are for professional behavior; where you rise above your baser inclinations to pout, sulk, yell, insult, and intimidate others. Be glad they didn't file a formal complaint against you upon leaving. Be careful what you wish for...you might get it. Who knows; your "reward" might be to take on all their work as well as your own from now on.

Old 09-28-2018, 02:54 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,860,492 times
They sound stupid. Just be glad they are gone. However, it won't be long until the next idiot shows up.

Old 09-28-2018, 03:00 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,820,677 times
""dumb dumb started this thread
A while back a friendly co-worker went sick. I covered their work for the day. They came back and got mad about how it was done. No one figured why, all the work was done normal. Their behavior went childish - refusing to reply to me, not co-operating, mimicking my talk, making jokes about me to my face, ranting when I approached to discuss it, really ridiculous behavior. I couldn't figure out what I'd done wrong.
After weeks of this, on Monday, they decided that they wanted to go for another sassy rant at me while smiling to my face in the middle of my tasks. I lost my temper and yelled at them (not shouting but raised voice) in a controlled way to sit down, shut up, and keep it shut. They protested, so I spent several more seconds commanding the initial instruction, in very specific, and no uncertain terms. They were visibly shaken and sat down. They had obviously thought I was a pushover. Within an hour they handed in their notice without a job to go to.""

You are very fortunate that you didn't get fired. You are paid to be a professional, at whatever you do, not to play High school immaturities out in the workplace. To tell a co-worker to Shut up, Keep it shut, no matter what connotation creates a Hostile environment. Had they chose to go to HR and file a complaint, you would be the one facing reprimand, write up, anger management classes, and possible termination.

Old 09-28-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
So you're saying a co-worker up and suddenly quit because -- one time -- you raised your voice and told him/her to sit down and shut up -- and basically told the person what for?
Yes. I tried reasoning with them for weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
IMHO BOTH of you behaved like children. You both made the whole issue about yourselves.
This all initiated just because I ticked a few different boxes on our software from habit when they went sick. It had no need to lead to a loss of a job. Agreed, workplaces are places to behave and treat with care, because there are consequences when you do not. I turned out to be the consequence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Had they chose to go to HR and file a complaint, you would be the one facing reprimand, write up, anger management classes, and possible termination.
Had this been a company where general corporate principles mattered I would not be in this situation in the first place. This isn't a "nice" company that works out for sensitive people much or treats complaints seriously. Also our HR department has collapsed and is now in the painful process of re-building itself through separate departments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
However, it won't be long until the next idiot shows up.
At least this time, I have the experience to deal with it.

Old 09-28-2018, 03:42 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,698,641 times
You behaved horribly and I am shocked him weren’t fired for that rant. You could have very professionally be just as direct and to the point.

Old 09-28-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
You behaved horribly and I am shocked him weren’t fired for that rant. You could have very professionally be just as direct and to the point.
For the third time. I tried several times. The behavior on both parties was conducted in front of management. No action was taken. This isn't a nice company. There is no cotton wool to wrap you up in. Maybe this is the wrong community.

Old 09-28-2018, 05:11 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,463,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
For the third time. I tried several times. The behavior on both parties was conducted in front of management. No action was taken. This isn't a nice company. There is no cotton wool to wrap you up in. Maybe this is the wrong community.
Some people aren't going to risk a six figure job over a sassy coworker.

Old 09-28-2018, 05:28 PM

149 posts, read 103,765 times
OP. It's over. You did nothing wrong except show up a passive aggressive bully. No loss. Move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment