Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 03:26 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times

Advertisements

I'd obviously start pounding the pavement as hard as I could and do the minimum at work. If I didn't have anything concrete, I'd let them fire and try to collect UI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 03:33 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,915,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
You can say you left under your on own terms no matter what happens. Confirm or negotiate this during your exit interview if you’re worried. Or just ask HR yourself tomorrow at work. Employers rarely disclose why you left. Just coach a reference from there.
You can always lie to get a new job. That doesn't make it something I would do. A few months of unemployment is a very small amount of money compared with the risk of a new employer finding out you lied about being let go.

Last edited by Lekrii; 09-30-2018 at 03:43 PM..

Old 09-30-2018, 04:56 PM

245 posts, read 152,736 times
Keep a healthy emergency fund, don't do anything that could disqualify you from unemployment, and don't worry about getting fired.

If it happens, whatever. There are other jobs and if you are good at what you do, and your skills are in demand, it shouldn't be a big deal as you should be able to find a different job fairly easily.

Old 09-30-2018, 06:03 PM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
You can always lie to get a new job. That doesn't make it something I would do. A few months of unemployment is a very small amount of money compared with the risk of a new employer finding out you lied about being let go.
They can’t find out. Only HR can give an official response and that would be during the background check process. Once you are hired they aren’t going to check anymore. I’ve actually gone as far as saying I was still employed at the company and got away with it. So did a friend of mine. The economy is amazing right now, so you probably don’t have to, but during hard times it’s hard to get hired if you were fired. Here is a good article.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2.../#4ff9584526ad

Last edited by Berteau; 09-30-2018 at 06:18 PM..

Old 09-30-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
They can’t find out. Only HR can give an official response and that would be during the background check process. Once you are hired they aren’t going to check anymore. I’ve actually gone as far as saying I was still employed at the company and got away with it. So did a friend of mine. The economy is amazing right now, so you probably don’t have to, but during hard times it’s hard to get hired if you were fired. Here is a good article.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2.../#4ff9584526ad
Putting personal integrity aside, people talk, the world is smaller than you think. Gaining a reputation for lying to get a job isn't worth it. For example, I found out the wife of one of the managers at my old company happens to work for my current company. What if they are all out at a baseball game together and happen to talk about me? A lie quickly comes out.

I'm good enough at what I do that I don't need to lie or cheat to get ahead.

Last edited by Lekrii; 09-30-2018 at 08:07 PM..

Old 10-01-2018, 07:21 AM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Putting personal integrity aside, people talk, the world is smaller than you think. Gaining a reputation for lying to get a job isn't worth it. For example, I found out the wife of one of the managers at my old company happens to work for my current company. What if they are all out at a baseball game together and happen to talk about me? A lie quickly comes out.

I'm good enough at what I do that I don't need to lie or cheat to get ahead.
IN your hypothetical, there is no way that would come out in that situation. How would the wife of your former manager know and why would it be brought up that you were fired? People leave companies all the time for whatever reasons. I've never heard people discuss why this person left and especially discuss if they were fired or not.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
IN your hypothetical, there is no way that would come out in that situation. How would the wife of your former manager know and why would it be brought up that you were fired? People leave companies all the time for whatever reasons. I've never heard people discuss why this person left and especially discuss if they were fired or not.
Sure it can come up.

"Oh, you work with Lekrii? It's a shame they had to let him go last year, he had a lot of potential at the start." Again, the world is smaller than you think, especially in certain industries.

We can agree to disagree. You aren't going to convince me it's ok to lie or cheat to get a job. Just because you think you might be able to get away with something doesn't make it acceptable.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:39 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Two nights ago, I had a funny (funny-sad, not funny-ha-ha) work-related nightmare. Elements implied by but not appearing in the dream will be in [brackets].

I'm talking to a woman named Jackie (who probably corresponds to my real-life friend Kate), just a casual conversation while sitting inside what looks like a community center. Suddenly, she says to me: "Hey, I was hanging out with Diana [my company's HR generalist, also Jackie's friend] two days ago, and she told me they're planning to fire you." [Diana doesn't know that I'm friends with Jackie.] I ask if that's for real, and Jackie says: "Yeah, that's what Diana told me." I want to pry for more answers, but then everything falls into a dark fog, and I wake up.

The nightmare really got under my skin. I even got up, walked to the kitchen, cracked open a beer, and took a few big swigs. I was able to fall asleep again after that. Good thing the dream happened on a Friday night.

So that got me thinking: What if the nightmare were real? That is, you somehow, somewhere, whether through the grapevine or through a third party, found out that your employer was planning to fire you. Obviously you weren't supposed to know until they dropped the bomb on you; but you found out. How would you react? What would you do?

Discuss!
I'd dust off my resume and start networking hardcore.

I'd also do absolutely nothing to ensure a smooth transition.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:43 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Two nights ago, I had a funny (funny-sad, not funny-ha-ha) work-related nightmare. Elements implied by but not appearing in the dream will be in [brackets].

I'm talking to a woman named Jackie (who probably corresponds to my real-life friend Kate), just a casual conversation while sitting inside what looks like a community center. Suddenly, she says to me: "Hey, I was hanging out with Diana [my company's HR generalist, also Jackie's friend] two days ago, and she told me they're planning to fire you." [Diana doesn't know that I'm friends with Jackie.] I ask if that's for real, and Jackie says: "Yeah, that's what Diana told me." I want to pry for more answers, but then everything falls into a dark fog, and I wake up.

The nightmare really got under my skin. I even got up, walked to the kitchen, cracked open a beer, and took a few big swigs. I was able to fall asleep again after that. Good thing the dream happened on a Friday night.

So that got me thinking: What if the nightmare were real? That is, you somehow, somewhere, whether through the grapevine or through a third party, found out that your employer was planning to fire you. Obviously you weren't supposed to know until they dropped the bomb on you; but you found out. How would you react? What would you do?

Discuss!
I got fired from a job some years back. But it wasn't "through the grapevine", I'm just really good at reading people.

I was at my desk and I saw HR walk into my boss' office. I had no reason to believe it was about me, but for some reason, I knew it was about me. I don't know how I knew that. Anyway, at some point, one of my co-workers walked into the office while HR was still there. HR was sitting in a chair with their back to me, my boss was at her desk facing me, (office had a huge glass window so you could see in, not a wall at the front of it), and my co-worker was standing on the side of the desk talking to the boss.

I saw the co-worker look up and out of the office to where our desks were. She and I made eye contact, and that was all I needed to know that I was right, it was about me.

So, I proceeded to start packing up my desk as discreetly as possible. I wasn't about to give them the satisfaction of them standing there while I did that. I then proceeded to "take a break", and took my bag with my few posessions down to my car. Before I went on that break, I told a girl who sat next to me but was in a different department that I probably wouldn't be coming back to work from break. She gasped in surprise and demanded to know why. I told her, "I'm getting fired." She gasped again, "Why?!" I told her I didn't know, but I knew it was coming, so I was saying my good byes to her...I liked her, so wanted to say "good bye". She assured me that I wasn't getting fired. No, I would be back and working again after break, she just knew it. I told her, "No. I'm not. Watch what happens in the next 20 minutes."

I put my stuff in my car, at that time I smoked so I had a smoke outside, and then I went inside but not to my desk. I just hung around in the hallway waiting for someone to come find me, and sure enough, they came down the hallway to tell me to go to HR for a meeting.

I almost didn't go, again, didn't want to give them the satisfaction, but I thought to go because I wanted to see why they were doing so. With no proof, I knew that it was going to happen, but I didn't know why. So I went. Apparently me being completely and totally baffled over a question, (I was literally confused about what they were asking and why because they had already solved their own problem), was interpreted as me being "rude". I wasn't rude, I couldn't wrap my brain around why they were asking me to do something that they already solved! I was authentically confused because it made no sense at all.

Butt hurt feelings later, I'm sitting in the HR office being told that I'm being let go, but here's a severance package....which means it was a BS charge and they knew it.

If I'd heard it through the grapevine, I would consider who I heard it from and who they heard it from, and then I'd go right down to HR to find out one way or the other. In this case, however, I knew from my own observations because, again, I'm really good at observing things and while I can't always give you a reason why I know, I've never been wrong.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:52 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,369,092 times
You can't live in constant fear of being fired. That's simply not a healthy way to be. You do your work and take every advantage to improve your skills, keep your resume up to date, network and look for a better situation. So if you get fired, a layoff, the company goes out of business, merges, downsizes, whatever, it isn't a devastated event in your life. You should be doing these things all the time and review your situation and career. If you are savvy about this, you will find another job and leave before things go bad. The real problem is, people sit there, do nothing and even though the place is going down the tubes they live in fear and wait for it to happen and freak out. The biggest problem I see is that people don't trust their instincts. You get new management and you don't like the situation, the leave, don't stay there and put up with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment