Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 11:10 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
No, not necessarily owed. HOWEVER, there is a real phenomenon of vets having a hard time getting hired in the private sector. It's actually pretty bad. There have been entire ad campaigns based on "consider hiring a veteran". So I'm not going to hold it against them if a few employers have a preference.
A lot of times military experience doesn't correlate very well to what's needed in the private sector.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 11:12 AM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
As a veteran, veterans aren’t owed jobs. Look no further than all the homeless vets out there.

Veterans have to earn their jobs, usually with prior military job-related experience and background vetting.

The only reason vets are “preferred” is due to the close connection they have with civilian government jobs.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:18 AM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
A lot of times military experience doesn't correlate very well to what's needed in the private sector.
Depends entirely on what the servicmember did while serving. In a lot of ways the military is the government version of the private sector

Some soldiers are flipping burgers while others are analyzing intelligence while translating foreign languages. As you can see, there will always be jobs for the latter and not so much the former.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:18 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
This is an employment question. One of the current threads got me thinking about Veteran's Preferences for federal jobs. I recall some time back, a veteran (minor disability) posted about applying for a federal job and wasn't hired. They went on a rant about not believing in America anymore solely because they didn't get the job. It was as if this person believed that their previous service automatically entitled them to a federal job.

Simple question. Because they served in the military, are veterans automatically owed federal jobs over all civilian applicants? I know how veterans get preference points but that doesn't always equate to an automatic job. Thought?

While I think we do owe veterans (especially long enlisted veterans) a lot of respect and thanks, I do not think they should be given preferential treatment in things like employment. They did their job, served our country, got paid for it, and that is about it.

Now, if they were combat wounded, I think we owe them the very best healthcare and benefits we can do for them.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:24 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Depends entirely on what the servicmember did while serving. In a lot of ways the military is the government version of the private sector

Some soldiers are flipping burgers while others are analyzing intelligence while translating foreign languages. As you can see, there will always be jobs for the latter and not so much the former.
Even sophisticated intelligence work probably doesn't have a huge market outside the government contracting sector. Big hospital systems aren't going to need someone who is an expert in Urdu.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:39 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Folks, you should look up what it takes to earn those 5 or 10 point preferences. Ask yourself why you weren't willing to do what they did to earn those points. And then realize not all vets get them.

The purpose of preference is partly in compensation for their service, and partly in recognition they put their lives on hold to serve. While you were building your career, they were serving. Vet preferred helps ensure they don't start out behind for having served.

You can get those points too. Just walk into your local recruiter and raise your right hand.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:11 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
neither does "college" experience correlate well for what is needed in the private sector...

at the end of 4 years, a vet can say he accomplish his assigned mission, a 4 year college grad has a piece of paper. what they did during the 4 years is what counts most

and in many cases a vet at 22 is more mature, they dont have the luxury of delaying growing up. a mistake in college is a bad grade, a mistake in the service could be a life

Old 10-03-2018, 12:13 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
The purpose of preference is partly in compensation for their service, and partly in recognition they put their lives on hold to serve. While you were building your career, they were serving. Vet preferred helps ensure they don't start out behind for having served.
Even with federal experience, I never even looked at it that way. This should be a part of the PR campaign. A lot of the people who complain about vet preference are just folks with entitlement issues who don't realize they get preference in ways that might be discriminatory if people actually investigated hiring practices. Of course they don't look at themselves as being beneficiaries of preference because they are supposed to get the job (in their mind). Being passed over for a veteran is what many of us feel like when we get passed over constantly for those who have less qualifications but have other, non work-related things going for them. Ain't no fun when the rabbit got the gun. Yay vets!

Old 10-03-2018, 12:14 PM

4,951 posts, read 2,706,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
While I think we do owe veterans (especially long enlisted veterans) a lot of respect and thanks, I do not think they should be given preferential treatment in things like employment. They did their job, served our country, got paid for it, and that is about it.

Now, if they were combat wounded, I think we owe them the very best healthcare and benefits we can do for them.
I think this is the best post. I'm agreeing with this.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:19 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Not all veterans served 'of their own free will'. There are many still around who were drafted and had their lives interrupted by the gov't.
The youngest draftees would be past 60 today. If they didn't get their due benefits for service by now, I don't see any reason for special consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment