Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 11:06 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times

Advertisements

I'm perfectly fine with vets having preference points for civil service jobs. After that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 01:54 PM

1,110 posts, read 896,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
This is an employment question. One of the current threads got me thinking about Veteran's Preferences for federal jobs. I recall some time back, a veteran (minor disability) posted about applying for a federal job and wasn't hired. They went on a rant about not believing in America anymore solely because they didn't get the job. It was as if this person believed that their previous service automatically entitled them to a federal job.

Simple question. Because they served in the military, are veterans automatically owed federal jobs over all civilian applicants? I know how veterans get preference points but that doesn't always equate to an automatic job. Thought?
Veterans should get preference for government jobs, but they are not owed anything except a big "thank you for your service." However, in my government experience, these categories are worked around, so that organizations hire their preferred choice, who may or may not have been a veteran, minority, female, handicapped, coming back from overseas, military spouse, or on a stopper list. BTW, the government wastes a great deal of time and money adverting job vacancies, since they generally have a strong candidate in mind. However, they are required to go through the motions, but they hire the preferred choice after the job announcement closes.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:55 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
No.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:20 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
This is an employment question. One of the current threads got me thinking about Veteran's Preferences for federal jobs. I recall some time back, a veteran (minor disability) posted about applying for a federal job and wasn't hired. They went on a rant about not believing in America anymore solely because they didn't get the job. It was as if this person believed that their previous service automatically entitled them to a federal job.

Simple question. Because they served in the military, are veterans automatically owed federal jobs over all civilian applicants? I know how veterans get preference points but that doesn't always equate to an automatic job. Thought?
This is the third thread I've seen recently when someone has had a single experience with a single over-the-top veteran and then come back with a question that implied all veterans were the same way.

Most veterans will be in favor of a few points on the civil service exam, and most also know that that won't necessarily get them a federal service job.

A whole lot more advantageous is the GI Bill education benefit, particularly the benefit of being able to take a certification exam at government expense as often as it takes to pass it (unless that's been recently reduced).

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 10-04-2018 at 03:27 PM..

Old 10-04-2018, 02:20 PM

1,110 posts, read 896,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
They're not "owed" a civilian job, and just because one poster went on a rant about that (according to you), doesn't mean that all of them feel that way.

Still, veterans are given preference for Civil Service jobs (and that's the way it should be). If that leads to an appointment, it cannot be used again.

Let's see...Should We Put Military Service On A Pedestal?...Do We Owe Vets A Job?...and my favorite, about a vet who supposedly argued with a stranger he encountered in a diner because he thought that man's service wasn't equal to his.

I wonder what'll be next.
Although there are many brave and wonderful souls who put their life on the line, were injured, and/or served in combat, after they are discharged or they retire, they generally do not differentiate service records amongst each other. They are just veterans of the Army, Navy, Air Force or Marines, and whatever their specialty was. I have never heard of a veteran dissing another because of their service record, not even the Medal of Honor winners.

However, veterans do belong to groups such as the Tuskegee Airmen, the Chosin Few, the Red River Valley Fighter Pilot's Association, the Military Order of the Purple Heart, and the Veterans of foreign Wars, to name a few. Me? I was an administrative officer during the Viet Nam war, but no one looks down on me because I was not a warrior (I am female) back in the day.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:25 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
In regards to this subject, there are some variances.

I know some companies have publicized hiring drives and openings for veterans. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, even though I'm sure the companies benefit in some way.

And maybe some hiring managers have a specific preference for hiring veterans. I don't have a problem with that either.
In one of my previous companies, I interviewed for a group that was compromised solely of women. I knew odds were against me and wouldn't you know they hired a female. It is what it is, I didn't give it a second thought and moved on.

But what should matter most to an employee is their overall background, educational as well job experience. Military experience in and of itself shouldn't matter unless it directly related to the company. For example maybe an applicant has 10 years of experience in the military doing engineering and applies for an engineering position. Things like that.
There could be another difference. At least everyone who has successfully completed a military tour does know how to precisely follow explicit instructions. And that's something only a very few kids actually know when they first go into basic training. Many of them think they know how to follow instructions, and they may even think they have followed instructions, but very few actually do.

I remember a few years ago, working for a Fortune 50 company, our manager called me (an Air Force retiree) and another guy (a Marine Corps vet) into her office to give us some instructions on new changes to make to a project.

She spent about 20 minutes in that meeting, and about 15 minutes of that was getting our "buy in" to be willing to make the changes.

As he and I left, he said, "That meeting was 15 minutes longer than it needed to be." I knew what he meant.

She was the boss. All she had to do was tell us what she wanted us to do, and we'd get it done...we didn't need to be "bought in."

"Buy in" is for civilians.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:54 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:

Of course it can't equate to an automatic job. Otherwise you might have a ditch digger in an engineering position. For the hypothetical, what's saying that there wasn't a more qualified minority veteran that got the job?

I do agree with the preference points theory.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:07 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:

If the vet is most qualified person for the job, the vet should get the job. If someone else is more qualified for the job over the vet, they should hire that person.

The person who gets the job should be the person most qualified & most suited for the job. Being a vet is irrelevant.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:27 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Not owed a gig but I give vets every chance I can to get a job. Frankly Vets work harder, get along better and can be counted on more then non vets......

Old 10-04-2018, 03:40 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Not owed a gig but I give vets every chance I can to get a job. Frankly Vets work harder, get along better and can be counted on more then non vets......
Hmm. I have heard the opposite. Why do you think they would they work harder??
I heard employers don't want to hire them because they can't think outside the box, they only do what they are told to do, they just do the minimum requirements, can't multitask and are overwhelmed when they have a few tasks and not just one. A lot of people join the military because they don't know what else to do, have no goals, no perspective, and just want to be off the streets and be taken care of. When the military spits them out years later, many of them are just as clueless as before they signed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment