Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 10:34 AM

4,242 posts, read 943,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Keep your current job for a few weeks AFTER you start the new job (if this is possible) just to be certain. If and when you realize it's a good fit, put in your 2 week notice at your current job. You'll get double paid for it and no one will be the wiser.
This seems pretty shady to me. And a good way to lose either or both jobs if someone becomes aware of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 10:52 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,906,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Keep your current job for a few weeks AFTER you start the new job (if this is possible) just to be certain. If and when you realize it's a good fit, put in your 2 week notice at your current job. You'll get double paid for it and no one will be the wiser.
This is pretty bad advice. Even if you don't get fired from the new company if they find out, this would mean you're collecting a paycheck for not actually doing any work (assuming these are typical monday-friday, workday jobs) given you can't do two jobs at the same time.

That all assumes there aren't any agreements in place requiring you to disclose other jobs to the old or new employer.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:12 AM

2,954 posts, read 1,404,353 times
Can I have your old job? I want to work from home.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:36 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,413,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
Hi all, first some background on my situation:

Years of work experience: 25+
Years with current employer: 3+
Salary: $75k
Work remote

My current job has not been a great situation. I'm on my 4th boss in 3 years. I feel like I've performed well but that hasn't been recognized by management, and in fact I was nearly put on a probationary period about a year ago. I don't think I've been managed well at all, and the expectations of me have never been made clear. I have not had a single performance review in my time at this company.

I recently came across a listing for a job that seemed like it would be a perfect fit. It has a higher level than my current job, and also is remote. I submitted my resume and quickly got an email to set up an interview. I've had 4 phone interviews over the last week, and no in person interviews. All 4 interviews were about 30 minutes and really didn't go into great detail. The final interview was today with the CEO, who offered me the job on the phone after about 25 minutes of talking. The salary is $30k more than I am currently making.

All of this seems too fast and too good to be true. I asked for an offer in writing and received it shortly after our interview ended. I know this company exists and this isn't a scam or anything. I don't think the salary is out of line for my experience, but I don't know why they wouldn't check references or at least do a bit more due diligence?

As much as I am unhappy at my current position, I know the company is stable and is making money/profitable. I can't say the same for this new position. But I don't see how I could possibly turn down this type of salary increase.

Any thoughts on if this is worth the "gamble"? I could potentially be unemployed in 6 months I suppose, but that's true of my current position as well so I don't see much of a risk. Still, I just have an uneasy feeling.
75k with 25 years experience isn't "too good to be true". More like "you've earned it". If you don't see yourself staying for much longer at your current gig anyway, I'd take the offer. My coworker just took a job as a fully remote engineer for the State of Texas. He's never been to Texas. He lives in NC. This is not foreign by any means.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:05 PM

9,349 posts, read 8,271,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
This is pretty bad advice. Even if you don't get fired from the new company if they find out, this would mean you're collecting a paycheck for not actually doing any work (assuming these are typical monday-friday, workday jobs) given you can't do two jobs at the same time.

That all assumes there aren't any agreements in place requiring you to disclose other jobs to the old or new employer.
Let me clarify - take PTO in your current job for a week. Start the new remote job. If all's well, put in your notice as soon as you feel comfortable....usually you'll be able to figure this out in a few days.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:25 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,239,797 times
Quote:

Work remote

My current job has not been a great situation. I'm on my 4th boss in 3 years. I feel like I've performed well but that hasn't been recognized by management, and in fact I was nearly put on a probationary period about a year ago. I don't think I've been managed well at all, and the expectations of me have never been made clear. I have not had a single performance review in my time at this company.

I recently came across a listing for a job that seemed like it would be a perfect fit. It has a higher level than my current job, and also is remote. I submitted my resume and quickly got an email to set up an interview. I've had 4 phone interviews over the last week, and no in person interviews. All 4 interviews were about 30 minutes and really didn't go into great detail. The final interview was today with the CEO, who offered me the job on the phone after about 25 minutes of talking. The salary is $30k more than I am currently making.

All of this seems too fast and too good to be true. I asked for an offer in writing and received it shortly after our interview ended. I know this company exists and this isn't a scam or anything. I don't think the salary is out of line for my experience, but I don't know why they wouldn't check references or at least do a bit more due diligence?

As much as I am unhappy at my current position, I know the company is stable and is making money/profitable. I can't say the same for this new position. But I don't see how I could possibly turn down this type of salary increase.

Any thoughts on if this is worth the "gamble"? I could potentially be unemployed in 6 months I suppose, but that's true of my current position as well so I don't see much of a risk. Still, I just have an uneasy feeling.
This makes me nervous. I’ve interviewed a fair number of potential employees and cannot imagine not going into the details of the job. If not the details, then what have four different people talked to you about for 120 minutes? Me thinks you need to dig into more information about this new company. Remember, it wasn’t for nothing that someone came up with the saying “if it sounds too good to be true...it probably is”.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:51 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,894,163 times
I got a 135% increase when I moved from a low-cost area to a high-cost area, so, yes, it is possible. The cost did not eat up all the gain and I went from a zero growth path to a 5% growth path and retired at 55. Take it.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:59 PM

24,544 posts, read 18,124,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I got a 135% increase when I moved from a low-cost area to a high-cost area, so, yes, it is possible. The cost did not eat up all the gain and I went from a zero growth path to a 5% growth path and retired at 55. Take it.
I’m wondering where the new company is located? If it’s Bay Area, the OP might be getting the very bottom of the pay scale for the job. The employer thinks the OP is working cheap.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:20 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,355,491 times
Quote:
All 4 interviews were about 30 minutes and really didn't go into great detail. The final interview was today with the CEO, who offered me the job on the phone after about 25 minutes of talking. The salary is $30k more than I am currently making.

I know people here are mostly focusing on the money, but this doesn't smell right to me. The lack of detail is strange and I think that's a red flag. Was there a complete job description for this position? Even under the best of circumstances this doesn't let you know what you are getting into. Is this company in Glassdoor or someplace you can find out more about how employees and others who have interviewed with them feel? Was the offer even contingent on anything such as a drug test, background check, reference check?

Do you have an actual start date? Did they give you the on-boarding packages of things to fill out which include health insurance, etc. ?

Old 10-06-2018, 04:44 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,716,274 times
Quote:

Work remote

I see RED FLAGS here! You are focused on the money but is this job real? You said the company exists but could it be this "employer" who is pretending to be the company you are interested in?

"No in person interview" are a RED FLAG to me. You say you currently make $75,000 a year and this job which this job takes you to $100,000 a year? (correct me on that)

No detail about the job, another RED FLAG! It sounds like you could end up in some shady dealings here, a MLM, a job scam. Or is it a company so horrible that they need someone PDQ and why is it horrible? I agree, if this is a real job, that you work it for a week and please, please post back about what your duties are? Tell the employer you need a detailed outline of what is expected of you before you can accept this job!

Nobody pays someone $100,000 a year hiring them on the PHONE without ever having met them. A few here may disagree with that but..... I see too many red flags. Did they do an intense background check on you? Shouldn't they want to MEET you first to find out if you are a "good fit?"

Don't go into this wearing blinders. Can you name the company?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment