Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 11:57 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times

Advertisements

Employer-Provided Health Insurance Approaches $20,000 a Year

The average cost of employer health coverage offered to workers rose to nearly $20,000 for a family plan this year, according to a new survey, capping years of increases that experts said are chiefly tied to rising prices paid for health services.

Average annual premiums rose 5% to $19,616 for an employer-provided family plan in 2018, according to the yearly poll of employers by the nonprofit Kaiser Family Foundation. Employers, seeking to blunt the cost of premiums, also continued to boost the deductibles that workers must pay out of their pockets before insurance kicks in.

When people wonder where the raises are, well, health insurance premiums are one of the places to look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 12:21 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Employer-Provided Health Insurance Approaches $20,000 a Year

The average cost of employer health coverage offered to workers rose to nearly $20,000 for a family plan this year, according to a new survey, capping years of increases that experts said are chiefly tied to rising prices paid for health services.

Average annual premiums rose 5% to $19,616 for an employer-provided family plan in 2018, according to the yearly poll of employers by the nonprofit Kaiser Family Foundation. Employers, seeking to blunt the cost of premiums, also continued to boost the deductibles that workers must pay out of their pockets before insurance kicks in.

When people wonder where the raises are, well, health insurance premiums are one of the places to look.
These costs are passed on to employees. I don't know how long you've been in workforce, but benefits aren't free anymore, the employee pays a portion of them. My niece pays $945 a month as her share for her family (teacher). I asked a very young speech therapist what she pays for just herself because I was thinking of switching to full time with benefits (I have always taken the higher pay rate and bought my own) and was shocked when she said it was $245 a pay (so $490 a month).

You didn't really think the employers just take it on the chin and pay the higher rates alone, did you?

Having said that I agree health care costs are out of control.

You also realize there are many people who don't get employer sponsored benefits and have to pay the entire premium increases alone? I only ask that because on the thread about working Americans struggling to make it today, you were one of those arguing that it's not any harder today and if they were it's their own fault.

Old 10-07-2018, 02:11 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
These costs are passed on to employees. I don't know how long you've been in workforce, but benefits aren't free anymore, the employee pays a portion of them. My niece pays $945 a month as her share for her family (teacher). I asked a very young speech therapist what she pays for just herself because I was thinking of switching to full time with benefits (I have always taken the higher pay rate and bought my own) and was shocked when she said it was $245 a pay (so $490 a month).

You didn't really think the employers just take it on the chin and pay the higher rates alone, did you?

Having said that I agree health care costs are out of control.

You also realize there are many people who don't get employer sponsored benefits and have to pay the entire premium increases alone? I only ask that because on the thread about working Americans struggling to make it today, you were one of those arguing that it's not any harder today and if they were it's their own fault.
A portion is passed on to the employee. The majority of costs are picked up by the employer.

Old 10-07-2018, 02:15 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
A portion is passed on to the employee. The majority of costs are picked up by the employer.
Ha ha.
Que funny.

Old 10-07-2018, 03:10 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Also I would like to see a link correlating providing benefits or not with giving raises. There are a lot of companies who keep people just under the hours needed for benefits or otherwise don't offer benefits who also don't give raises.

It amazes me how greed is excused over and over.

Old 10-07-2018, 03:15 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
We have an aging workforce at my employer. I’m the only one on my six person team under 50. Three are over 60. Overhead has risen. Costs to provide the healthcare have risen. This surprises no one.

Old 10-07-2018, 03:35 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
https://www.patriotsoftware.com/payr...-pay-how-much/

Old 10-07-2018, 04:55 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Ha ha.
Que funny.
My employer pays 1000 I pay 175. My policy costs almost 1200 a month. Our contribution is based on the amount you make. The more you make the more your payment is. So the total cost of my policy is almost $15,000 a year. My last company was the same cost except it was a union job. It was part of my hire package. So nothing came out of my pocket. But it was based n hours worked so if I didn’t work enough I would have to make up the difference or pay out of pocket. So ultimately I paid it just came out before taxes.

Old 10-07-2018, 06:01 PM

15,432 posts, read 7,487,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Ha ha.
Que funny.
But true. My premium is $540 per month. My employer pays about $1300. That's been the ratio for all of the years I've worked there.

Old 10-07-2018, 06:58 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
My employer (Washington State) pays about $11,000 in premiums per employee. Employee contribution ranges from $420 (single person, minimal plan) up to $5,500 (employee, spouse and children, premium plan) annually.

Employee premiums tend to outpace annual COLAs in percentage terms, which is particularly hard on the lowest earners, as their take home may go down, depending on the plan they choose.

I agree that health care costs are out of control. We should move to a fully socialized health insurance system, rather than the costly monstrosity we currently use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment