Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2008, 02:45 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times

Advertisements

His company is giving him compensation and is helping him find a job. He has worked in business administration for a pretty large corporate head quarters/office.

I am worried. Do you think he will make as much money or more or less in his new job? Do you think any other problems could occur? Anybody know a potential reason for the lay off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 10:07 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,398,734 times
Layoffs are common in all markets, but today most stem from the down economy and real estate market. He should not have any problems securing a job, it may take longer than he likes. Money could always be a factor depending on whose hiring; with careful planning he should have no problem getting the dollars. However, we must be realistic with the market at this current time.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:09 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times
How long did he work there? If he is one of those people who was there for like 30 years - chances are he will not find a position that has the benefits and salary he left. but if he was only there a short time 5 years or so. He should be fine.

Layoffs are always because of beancounters. You/your dept are not value added anymore and are too expensive. Even if you kill yourself for the company practically, - if they need you gone, you are gone. You may dodge a few rounds of layoffs if you are a better worker, but they will git ya eventually.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:36 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,205,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
His company is giving him compensation and is helping him find a job. He has worked in business administration for a pretty large corporate head quarters/office.

I am worried. Do you think he will make as much money or more or less in his new job? Do you think any other problems could occur? Anybody know a potential reason for the lay off?
What? Sorry, but I'm somewhat baffled that people today would be shocked that employees with tenure are being laid off. In my area (NE OH) this has been going on since the mid to late 70's, over 30 years now. To answer your questions: No, I don't think he will make as much money unless he has a lot, and I mean, A LOT going for him, things like specialized knowledge, etc. I don't know what you mean by "other problems could occur". As far as a potential reason for lay-off, lay-offs are due to the bottom financial line - period. That could mean any number of things. At least your friend is getting compensation and the company is helping him find a job. This scenario is repeated thousands of times in America every day.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:46 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,050,573 times
there was an unemployment report that just came out this morning that I saw on CNBC. 80,000 people lost their jobs in March. My fiancee told me that yesterday they let go eight people from her job. Times are tough. Hang in there...you WILL get through and things WILL get better.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:19 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
20 Years in business administration/management work. He has experience in training others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
How long did he work there? If he is one of those people who was there for like 30 years - chances are he will not find a position that has the benefits and salary he left. but if he was only there a short time 5 years or so. He should be fine.

Layoffs are always because of beancounters. You/your dept are not value added anymore and are too expensive. Even if you kill yourself for the company practically, - if they need you gone, you are gone. You may dodge a few rounds of layoffs if you are a better worker, but they will git ya eventually.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:15 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times
Most job markets are so localized in their wants/needs that it is impossible to predict. In 2002/03 - Chicago was hit hard - other areas not so bad. (remember the "jobless recovery"?)
Good luck to him and all those other laid offs - been there done that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment