Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 11:44 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,050,909 times

Advertisements

I want to quit my job, and thought I would ask a couple of supervisors for one, or even the manager if he would be good for that.

However, in the past when I ask higher ups for references, they often will panic or react negatively at the thought of me quitting like I am leaving them in the lurch, which is not my intention of course. And I feel they may not be a good reference, if they feel that I left them in the lurch.

So is there a way to handle it, to get more positive responses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 12:57 AM

23,042 posts, read 18,404,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I want to quit my job, and thought I would ask a couple of supervisors for one, or even the manager if he would be good for that.

However, in the past when I ask higher ups for references, they often will panic or react negatively at the thought of me quitting like I am leaving them in the lurch, which is not my intention of course. And I feel they may not be a good reference, if they feel that I left them in the lurch.

I don't ask my supervisors to act as personal references. I ask colleagues who know my skills and abilities and who know my personal qualities. My supervisors may show up on a resume under work experience. That's different.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:02 AM

50,415 posts, read 36,051,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post

People don’t ask current supervisors or any bosses for references while you’re still working there. I’ve never heard of someone doing that. Most people keep it on the down low when they’re looking for a new job. Most people use former supervisors, or coworkers. You can also use others who you may not work with but are familiar with you/your work ethic, from volunteer positions, your piece work in movie sets, etc. But it’s pretty unreasonable to expect a current boss to help you get a new job. The exception would be if the company was going out of business or something like that.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:31 AM

10,600 posts, read 12,049,503 times
You don't ask current supervisors or managers to be a reference to help you get another job.
Learn that lesson now.

It's really quite naive to think of that idea at all.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:29 PM

Oh okay thanks. I could use older ones but that is from two years ago if I do, but I guess that is okay if they are still willing to be references. I can shoot their numbers, texts and ask. So how long should I wait before asking a newer one then?

Old 10-09-2018, 04:46 PM

10,600 posts, read 12,049,503 times
It's not a matter of waiting. You don't ask current managers/supes to be references for you. Period.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:54 PM

I mean when I quit, how long do I wait afterwards to ask?

Old 10-09-2018, 06:23 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,085,073 times
I have no supervisors as a reference. I have been working for over 20 years. I didn't need it in the 90's, '00s, or '10s. All my references are former co-workers, including managers in other departments.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:01 PM

4,899 posts, read 2,665,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
I have no supervisors as a reference. I have been working for over 20 years. I didn't need it in the 90's, '00s, or '10s. All my references are former co-workers, including managers in other departments.
When I applied for a substitute teacher's job as a post retirement job after an IT career, I had to provide 3 references from managers that I directly reported to. Co-workers and other managers that were in the same company but that I did not report to were not allowed to be submitted. I suspect that in many other places it is similar nowadays.

Employers seem to be cranking up more hurdles and hoops to jump through. When I started my IT career in 1980, I didn't even need references. My being hired into IT consisted of an interview and some straight talk between me and the employer. I was hired a few hours later. I wasn't a genius or anything special. In the late 1980s one of my colleagues took a week vacation and traveled to an area of the country that he wanted to live in (Colorado). He interviewed when he was there and picked up a job before he even returned from vacation. He came back, gave his 2 week notice and took off for Colorado. I used to interview for practice and for fun. I had job offers for about half the interviews that I went to. I estimated that if I had wanted to leave my current job, I could get one within 2 to 4 weeks at the latest. But that was back in the 80s, 90s, and early 00s. Jobs were much easier to pick up then.

Old 10-09-2018, 10:07 PM

So asking a former supervisor for one after quitting is generally bad then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment