Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 09:35 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,915,241 times

Advertisements

So for giggles and to weed out some fakers, my boss pulled a nice trick and it seem to work. I caught on to it but i didnt say anything. He put the normal requirements for Network Operator and added one extra must requirement. Made up Fake name for a CRM application. TCBY CRM was the name he put as a must have, and see how many applications will put this on their resume. With in a 2 day span, he gotten 20 resumes with this on it as having 2 years experience with this fake requirement. Needless to say, its nice to see some good ones only to be demolish with fake it till you make it syndrome. Anybody else delt with this kinda stuff? Personally I seen alot of places that does this as a common thing, my boss just did it just to see what he gets, and weed out the fakers this way. Is he right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 10:47 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,884,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
So for giggles and to weed out some fakers, my boss pulled a nice trick and it seem to work. I caught on to it but i didnt say anything. He put the normal requirements for Network Operator and added one extra must requirement. Made up Fake name for a CRM application. TCBY CRM was the name he put as a must have, and see how many applications will put this on their resume. With in a 2 day span, he gotten 20 resumes with this on it as having 2 years experience with this fake requirement. Needless to say, its nice to see some good ones only to be demolish with fake it till you make it syndrome. Anybody else delt with this kinda stuff? Personally I seen alot of places that does this as a common thing, my boss just did it just to see what he gets, and weed out the fakers this way. Is he right?
Yeah that is a problem though because the real smart ones will just ignore the job posting if it contains something like that. And they may look upon the company poorly after seeing that job posting especially if it's smaller and largely unknown.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:08 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
But those who have the skillset and then see this one, might not apply as they don't have the experience, or went and looked up the meaning, found it was a hoax and so also felt that this posting was "A Hoax" also.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
But those who have the skillset and then see this one, might not apply as they don't have the experience, or went and looked up the meaning, found it was a hoax and so also felt that this posting was "A Hoax" also.
I said the same thing, but he said he got about 4 really good ones that didnt fall for the hoax and still submit their applications. We have 2 openings so if all goes well lest 2 out of 4 will get the spot, and we wont have to baby sit fakers.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:34 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,783,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Yeah that is a problem though because the real smart ones will just ignore the job posting if it contains something like that. And they may look upon the company poorly after seeing that job posting especially if it's smaller and largely unknown.

It's rare that an applicant meet every requirement a job posting asks for, If I can meet 60% or them, I would still apply, after all how can you grow in your career if your not learning something new. I however would not put down on my resume I have experience in stuff I don't have.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:18 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
Quote:
He put the normal requirements for Network Operator and added one extra must requirement. Made up Fake name for a CRM application. TCBY CRM was the name he put as a must have, and see how many applications will put this on their resume.

Obviously your boss had no intention of hiring anyone for that role. The job posting was for a non-job.

These days employers want and demand 100% of requirements, preferring to keep a role open rather than hire someone who has less. "An empty chair solves more problems than an imperfect candidate."

Old 10-09-2018, 12:42 PM

79 posts, read 41,861 times
Quote:
Wouldn't applicants think the boss that wrote the position doesn't know what he's doing, which would further weed out good applicants....?????

Old 10-09-2018, 12:44 PM

268 posts, read 282,568 times
If he were actually looking to hire someone, he may have lost out on good potential candidates. Back in my applying days, I would see some job postings that asked for knowledge in a certain area and if I didnt know that particular program or knowledge, I wouldn't be so up for applying.

I see what your boss is trying to do but it really doesnt make a difference. He seems bored. He must know people are desperate for a job and of course people would put that on their resume. This is what the interview process is for.

I honestly wouldnt mind seeing this as some sort of experiment. Inviting people to the interview and asking them about that particular experience.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleNicole View Post
If he were actually looking to hire someone, he may have lost out on good potential candidates. Back in my applying days, I would see some job postings that asked for knowledge in a certain area and if I didnt know that particular program or knowledge, I wouldn't be so up for applying.

I see what your boss is trying to do but it really doesnt make a difference. He seems bored. He must know people are desperate for a job and of course people would put that on their resume. This is what the interview process is for.

I honestly wouldnt mind seeing this as some sort of experiment. Inviting people to the interview and asking them about that particular experience.
Think he did is a joke just to test the waters and see what responses he can get.. Who knows, i just found it by seeing what other internal openings we have and i seen his post. I went to him about it and he just said he was testing the waters and his way of weeding out the fakers.. So can only assume this is not his first time, but we do have openings.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:15 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times
Quote:

Real companies dont waste time playing games like this. He seems bored. Is he the owner of the company. If not, the owners wouldn't be to happy with these antics, wasting time and productivity, or lack of it from an open position. He doesnt sound like some one I would ever trust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment