Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 06:04 PM

76 posts, read 43,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapper71 View Post
So yesterday I post a video on my Facebook page of this tiny Airbnb my husband and I are staying at. It's so small that the toilet is within the shower stall. The shower stall is larger than most so the toilet can sit as far back as possible. I'm commenting on the video as I'm taking it and say "And here's the best part, the shower and toilet are in the same stall". I get a comment on the video on Facebook from my male coworker who is about 60 years old saying "Love the shower/toilet combo. Can you do a demo?" I was really taken aback by that comment. I've never had any issues with him being weird like that before. I didn't reply to the comment as I had no idea what to say. Another of my coworker's private messages me and asks how I felt about that comment because she found it highly inappropriate. She also told me she has felt very uncomfortable around him when he has said a few things and has told our manager and HR about it. They claim to have spoken to him about it but it didn't seem to sink in. She says most people think he's probably just trying to be funny so think nothing of it.

What would you think or do if you got a comment like that? It wasn't in a work setting that it was made and I'm not the person to raise a fuss about anything and I would probably just forget it was ever said and go on as usual with him, but it is awkward now knowing he said that.
I'd think nothing about it. It's what happens when you don't screen who you are giving access to post on your facebook. These things WILL happen. I do not have a facebook account.

No worries. It's a joke. Move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 07:38 AM

9,394 posts, read 8,360,377 times
I do not accept Friend requests from co-workers. Ever. Period. Never. If they ask (which some have) I keep it short and simple "Sorry, I don't mix my personal and professional lives."

Old 10-15-2018, 09:18 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
To all posting things about Facebook - this is not about Facebook. There's is nothing wrong with having those other than friends and family, etc.

This is about an extreme hypersensitive culture and societies need to accept and respond to those extreme hypersensitivities or risk backlash such as lost business and/or lawsuits. This is about people using and taking advantage of this ridiculous current state that we are in so they can feel like they have some control and power and that they are not a nobody and people should listen to them. It's society rewarding people for being outraged at ridiculous things that are meaningless.

I don't know, maybe it's me. Maybe I am getting too grumpy as I age but I fell like the Live and Let Live slogan is dead. Too many people are being made to live like others want them to and it's a concerning form of control.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:40 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,764 times
If I posted a toilet picture of something out of the ordinary, I would expect my friends to have some funny or off the wall comments back.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:43 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I do not accept Friend requests from co-workers. Ever. Period. Never. If they ask (which some have) I keep it short and simple "Sorry, I don't mix my personal and professional lives."
Yup, I don't understand why people, on their personal social media, friend their co workers, managers, supervisors etc.. if those people aren't actual friends.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:11 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,734,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapper71 View Post
Well like I said, I'm not one to bring up issues like this. However, I did think it was an odd comment and then when my other coworker told me she was horrified by what he said and told me she's been hving issues with the guy then it made me wonder.
My God, why are you so sensitive? I don't know how old you are but if you are under 30 you are in for a rough time in life.

You asked for it by posting the video. I thought the reply was just snarky at best. You must be the life of a party.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:49 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Yup, I don't understand why people, on their personal social media, friend their co workers, managers, supervisors etc.. if those people aren't actual friends.
Because it's fun to have others (passive acquaintances, people you knew years ago, etc.) as "friends". I personally do not have my coworkers, direct reports, supervisor, etc. as "friends". I do have people I hardly know, or knew many years ago. But I know many who do have those they work with as their "friends". To each their own...live and let live is the key.

People use social media in many ways.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:48 AM

9,394 posts, read 8,360,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Some people may actually feel pressured to do this, especially if a friend request comes in from a supervisor or several co-workers are "Friends" already. The fear may be that you'll be left out of their social circle. I get it....I really do.....it's just not something I choose to do for a number of reasons. Biggest is I want complete separation from my employer to my personal life. Not that I'm doing anything that would warrant getting fired, but you just never know.....maybe you "Liked" an inappropriate joke 10 years ago that could come back to haunt you. Better safe than sorry, imho.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:31 AM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What?! Why wouldn't it have been creepy? By someone of any age, knowing they're addressing a married woman? And of course, it would have been inappropriate if the OP were single, too. What kind of a question is that?
It seems obvious to me that people are falling into two camps on this. The people who see the guy as having a juvenile sense of potty humor and the people who see his remark as being sexually suggestive. OP is probably the only one who might have a clue as to which way the guy actually leans, but she could be wrong about it too.
I'd be inclined to give it a pass and write it off as a bad attempt at potty humor unless he consistently makes inappropriate sexually suggestive comments.

Old 10-16-2018, 12:19 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Ok, seriously, there is nothing weird about posting a picture of a bathroom. You found it humorous, OP, and it's totally something I would do. Posting a photo of a bathroom is not opening the door to social anarchy as so many on this thread seem to think. The level of pearl clutching based on a picture of a bathroom is somewhat unreal.

With regard to your coworker, I suspect your female coworker may have had some other experiences with him that are coloring her interpretation. You can only go by your experiences in this situation. I would let it go. He may be a total creep, and his comment on your page was definitely near the line. But let it go. If you are uncomfortable with what he posted, remove the comment and limit what he can see going forward.

As a 40-something woman with many male friends and coworkers on my facebook page, I would be weirded out if one of them posted that on my page. But none of them would. But 60 is not a good age for common sense about social media.
HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment