Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 11:26 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Skilled trades and semi truck drivers has a real shortage no one wants to work with their hands anymore or sit in a truck all day. Seems everyone wants to be able to sit at a desk.
Considering how often the cause of accidents are the morons in the 4 wheel dept it's not hard so see the desire of some to not deal with them. I know several truckers who happily hung up their spurs after 40 years driving. It's not over regulated, it's underpaid and abused. Roads haven't improved and neither has others ability to drive like they're sane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 11:28 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
That's interesting because I still see homeless people on the streets.
Offer them some work at $15 an hour for 4 hours and see if they accept. Those are the ones who WANT an apartment. If they refuse, they just want drug money....

Old 10-19-2018, 01:10 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
As a hiring manager...

It's near impossible to find a decent person for any role. It's to find applicants. Also statistics are fine, but dang this is from experience. Look we get that education is nice. But what we have found is people either don't interview well, are toxic in the interview, or simply don't seem to know anything. Completely unprepared. Asking simple questions like "Did you visit our website" or "Do you know anything about our company" stump people.
My personal favorite:

Interviewer: "What's your greatest weakness?"

Applicant: "Sometimes I'm too blunt."

Interviewer: "Well, that's not necessarily a bad weakness in a business environment where it's important to communicate clearly."

Applicant: "I don't give a **** what you think."

Old 10-19-2018, 01:24 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
That's interesting because I still see homeless people on the streets.
Really? This is one of the most naive comments on homelessness that I've read. Open jobs and homelessness are not directly linked.

Old 10-19-2018, 03:24 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Really? This is one of the most naive comments on homelessness that I've read. Open jobs and homelessness are not directly linked.

No more naive than to think $12 an hour is a good wage for most people.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:43 PM

850 posts, read 902,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Truly boggles my mind why so Chemical degrees are not valued in this country. I think many of you all should consider seeking work abroad.
It’s quite sad to see that most companies in America don’t value scientists anymore. Generic Pharmaceuticals companies like Teva has done mass layoffs this year which has killed even more good paying science jobs.

The lucky Scientists/Chemists work for the FDA or CDC. Those government agencies do offer great salaries and benefits but it’s super competitive to get into those organizations.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:46 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
Quote:
As a hiring manager...

It's near impossible to find a decent person for any role. It's to find applicants. Also statistics are fine, but dang this is from experience. Look we get that education is nice. But what we have found is people either don't interview well, are toxic in the interview, or simply don't seem to know anything. Completely unprepared. Asking simple questions like "Did you visit our website" or "Do you know anything about our company" stump people.

We keep talking about education to turn things around but these people seem to have not a lick of common sense on how to conduct themselves in an interview. You went to school? Great! ...you passed a test that 90% of the rest of your class did too. What do you bring that is different? They don't know.

So many kids I interview for engineering positions have the degrees but literally never built anything in their lives. Not with daddy's tools, Lego's, Tinker Toys, Lincoln logs, electronic toy sets, taken a toaster apart ...nadda. Come'on something you have done that you fixed/built/took apart/whatever in your days. Oh sure they describe the theory of things they learned from books, but in the real world things just don't work that way. The difference between a screw and a bolt? ...clueless. It's not that we are looking for an experienced person necessarily. We understand they are fresh out of school. But there is no passion or genuine curiosity for what they are going to do.

We have replaced any sense of wisdom with intelligence the past decade or two.
Mentor and train.

You can't just leave the position unfilled. This is what you got to work with.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:56 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Wow. A lot of negativity. Seems like a positive to me.
If you're unemployed, this should give you hope. I've worked 3 jobs including slinging chicken to support my kids. You do what you have to do.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:34 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
No more naive than to think $12 an hour is a good wage for most people.
No, I never said most people. I said no/low skilled people. Why can't you see the connection between skills and wages?

Let's think about this in reverse. A worker wants a wage of $25 per hour. Simple question. Aren't there jobs open that pay this amount? If there are jobs available in EVERY salary range, where is the problem?

Old 10-19-2018, 10:08 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,169 times
Quote:
As a hiring manager...

We keep talking about education to turn things around but these people seem to have not a lick of common sense on how to conduct themselves in an interview. You went to school? Great! ...you passed a test that 90% of the rest of your class did too. What do you bring that is different? They don't know.

So many kids I interview for engineering positions have the degrees but literally never built anything in their lives. Not with daddy's tools, Lego's, Tinker Toys, Lincoln logs, electronic toy sets, taken a toaster apart ...nadda. Come'on something you have done that you fixed/built/took apart/whatever in your days. Oh sure they describe the theory of things they learned from books, but in the real world things just don't work that way. The difference between a screw and a bolt? ...clueless. It's not that we are looking for an experienced person necessarily. We understand they are fresh out of school. But there is no passion or genuine curiosity for what they are going to do.

We have replaced any sense of wisdom with intelligence the past decade or two.
You have to work with what is available.

I deal with entry level guys that can’t even read a tape measure. Amazing to me, but that is the reality today.

Instead of whining about it and expecting people to come through the door that don’t exist in large enough numbers for what I am willing to pay, I deal with it.

Majority of people are average to below average. Unless you open the check book to get the best, you have to take what is available. Doing nothing isn’t a valid choice if I want the business to succeed.

Adapt and overcome, because the environment isn't going to change any time soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment