Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 07:51 PM

801 posts, read 547,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Anyone can boast about how they made 10 million in sales but the devil is in the details and that's where you discover the fakers or real ones. But nobody wants to dig into the details these days.

I don't take employers seriously that want just sound bytes because it means they truly don't value the depth and complexity of what I do on the daily basis.
Yea... that's what the interview is for. To have a in depth conversation...

No one would mind if you bring a 10 - 20 essay about your background to reference to as you talk and answer questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 08:08 PM

2,955 posts, read 1,411,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
Must be an IT industry thing..

I use to temp for a company in their HR department. Someone submitted a 45 pages long resume for a software developer job. I sent him an e-mail and ask him to read the job description and only write about his most recent and relevant experiences. His answer was..

"It's all relevant. I don't want to work for someone who is too lazy to read and analyze 45 pages."
So did anyone actually read and analyze this 45 page resume? lol, never heard of such a thing before.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:14 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
I was a software developer for 35 years and my resume grew to 5 pages in length. I am a published author and have written articles relevant to IT, business, and other subjects, so my 5th page included an abridged list of my publications. But otherwise, I couldn't make my resume any shorter without throwing out important material.

Didn't hurt me any. I was called for interviews and no one complained about the length of my resume.
I am not in software, and I have a bit less than 30 years of experience, but I am also published in my field. I have been able to keep my resume to two pages.

It generally breaks down to 1/4 page as header, including name, address, contact info, etc. I repeat this branding as the head on my cover letter, references, etc.

The next 1.25 pages is experience, accomplishments, etc.

The final 1/2 page is a selected bibliography, conference presentations, etc.

When I am looking for a job, I throw up a complete cv on my domain, which goes into additional detail on all of these things. That URL is referenced on every header page in my application package, as well as called out in my cover letter. Once I obtain a job, I pull all that info down.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:34 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,256,609 times
A one page resume is sufficient. All I want to see is your last three jobs or less, and ONLY the major accomplishments from each job. If I decide to interview you, you can regale me with how great you really are in the actual interview. Multiple page resumes say to me that you are likely not a good fit on my team because you need to promote yourself too much.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:39 PM

801 posts, read 547,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
So did anyone actually read and analyze this 45 page resume? lol, never heard of such a thing before.
Nope. No one else ever knew about it..

Old 10-17-2018, 08:41 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
A one page resume is sufficient. All I want to see is your last three jobs or less, and ONLY the major accomplishments from each job. If I decide to interview you, you can regale me with how great you really are in the actual interview. Multiple page resumes say to me that you are likely not a good fit on my team because you need to promote yourself too much.
A resume is all about promoting yourself, and giving the hiring manager enough information to work with.

You are certainly entitled to hire in any manner you like, but you are missing the entire point of the process.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:12 PM

6,586 posts, read 4,970,443 times
I'm at roughly 1.5 pages. I deleted my old stuff but went into detail for my IT career and self employment. I rarely send it to anyone these days as most of my work is by word of mouth.

But on the subject of one page, I saw what appeared to be oversized "resume" paper at Staples yesterday. I though that was to solve the one page issue, but since I can't find anything to match that online, I wonder if it was a box that also had envelopes in it. Either way, it was good for a giggle.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:23 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,848 times
I think one page is very reasonable.... Frankly I'm surprised people even are still clinging to a document called a resume these days. An online profile such as LinkedIn is all you need. Where you worked, what you have accomplished in your career - its all in the profile.

I know I wouldn't bother reading past page 2 of a resume. I look for maximum info in minimum time/space.

I want the candidate who can organize their thoughts and express them concisely.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:31 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,371,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
Must be an IT industry thing..

I use to temp for a company in their HR department. Someone submitted a 45 pages long resume for a software developer job. I sent him an e-mail and ask him to read the job description and only write about his most recent and relevant experiences. His answer was..

"It's all relevant. I don't want to work for someone who is too lazy to read and analyze 45 pages."
Anyone submitting a 45 page resume I'd expect them to response with something odd. Why would you bother to contact someone who submitted a 45 page resume? Anything that doesn't look right I just skip over. If someone doesn't know how to do a resume properly, then I consider that a red flag, because it's very simple to find out how to do them to your industry.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:37 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,371,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
The other trend I hate is photos on resumes.
That went out years ago. What percentage would you say have their picture on it? I guess because there's a place on Linkedin for a photo, they must think it should be on their resume too. But hiring someone to be the company's face to the public matters, so I can see them doing this for servers working in a restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment