Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 04:07 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,109,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Yes, and I am still opposed to the thermonuclear annihilation of billions of people. Partly because I don’t want to die in a ball of fire, or the subsequent disease and starvation.

Plus, I think that your hypothesis is flawed. War does not always lead to renaissance, renaissance can happen without war, and hundreds of years of subsistence living seems to be too high a price to pay.

I will let you in on a secret. In the most recent Marvel movie, Infinity War, Thanos was the villain, not the hero.
When in human history has a TRUE renassance came about without a major conflict or plauge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 05:35 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,036,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
When in human history has a TRUE renassance came about without a major conflict or plauge?
The Enlightenment.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:55 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,495,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
They aren't fantasies - they're memories of how things were. I worry when I see so many people who have no memory (either due to forgetting or not having been aware/alive at the time) of how things have been in the past. Fundamental aspects of how things used to be have been washed away by the aforementioned Taylorist strategies and tactics. It is not unreasonable to consider those strategies and tactics to be reflections of unfair exploitation of an unjust power differential, and to reject your implication that their impact should be deemed acceptable by default.

It isn't "fantasy" to expect the labor marketplace to furnish for all opportunities that they can pursue and obtain, opportunities that allow them to pay their own way and secure their own future. That's a bare minimum society should furnish in deference to the inherent worth and dignity of every person. Don't expect that any kind of "winners and losers" rationalizations will be viewed as righteous - they're not and haven't been since people started putting moral codes down on paper/papyrus.
It was fantasy for people of color, women, and the handicapped. a large group of Americans have no memory of any of this. Why do people ignore this?

Old 12-03-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
The Enlightenment.
https://www.history.com/topics/briti.../enlightenment

which was part of the french revolution. The real change did not occur until they chopped off the aristocracies heads. Now days technology, police state and massive security measures would preclude this from happing without nukes (high yeild thermonuclear). It would take several just in the USA alone to weaken the police state so that conventional "french revolution" in the USA could be successful with minimal casulties from the revolutionaries side.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
It was fantasy for people of color, women, and the handicapped. a large group of Americans have no memory of any of this. Why do people ignore this?
Because im not colored, a woman or handicaped.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:48 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,036,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Do I get partial credit for mentioning women a few posts back? I admit negligence in not considering other groups, which I should have done.

Quote:
https://www.history.com/topics/briti.../enlightenment

which was part of the french revolution. The real change did not occur until they chopped off the aristocracies heads. Now days technology, police state and massive security measures would preclude this from happing without nukes (high yeild thermonuclear). It would take several just in the USA alone to weaken the police state so that conventional "french revolution" in the USA could be successful with minimal casulties from the revolutionaries side.
The French Revolution ended the Enlightenment. A grand period of intellectual and economic progress was crushed by a revolution. Pretty much the exact opposite of what you think might happen, andproof that it isn’t as simple as you want it to be.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-04-2018 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: Personal attack; name calling.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Do I get partial credit for mentioning women a few posts back? I admit negligence in not considering other groups, which I should have done.

The French Revolution ended the Enlightenment. A grand period of intellectual and economic progress was crushed by a revolution. Pretty much the exact opposite of what you think might happen, andproof that it isn’t as simple as you want it to be.

[snip]
I meet part of the definition but I believe in the lord Jesus and there are things strictly prohibited if you want to do the will of the father. Revolutions are a tricky situation, civil disobediance is prevalent in the bible but the new testimate also states that we are to obey the govts put over us so its a real sticky situtation.

But yes I am extreme anti social which is part of the reason I am so upset about my situation because the abundance of jobs are all extraverted so I am forced into doing things that dont pay well but suck the life out of me. I work every day to figure out how to get myself out of this aweful situation.

The french revolution which it was not perfect ended feudalism which was an aweful practice where serfs and peasants were sold with the land, even "freemen" often times had to sell themselves into serfdom due to the absolute deplorable economic situation. Sure people like Newton did well or other lesser nobles but if you were in the lower ranks life was hell.

We are slowly going back to that now where rich people want to bring back indentured servitude and want to put the squeeze on the average person finanically so that they are funneled into things that are not in their best interests.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Enlightenment

The age of enlightenment demanded a revolution because scientific discovery, the end of feudalism and the monarchy demanded a revolution. The lords and monarchs were not just going to step down. Of course the black death probably did more to end feudalism due to the lack of labor and the leverage it brought the average person who could now demand very large wages to the point that lords could no longer afford to keep their lands ... as it should be.

Obviously the revolution would not have occurred if the majority were happy with the situation.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-04-2018 at 09:15 AM..

Old 12-03-2018, 10:20 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,973,922 times
Quote:
Sounds like a trick question. There's always going to be some form of conflict or illness or famine or whatever to point to.

Old 12-04-2018, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Sounds like a trick question. There's always going to be some form of conflict or illness or famine or whatever to point to.
Its not a trick question, fishbrains seems to think that the filthy rich and the poor can all sing kumbia and that we will enter some new period of enlightenment where everyone is making good money and doing well with plenty of opportunity with 0 major conflict or disease.

Every one cringes at the fact of WW3 but the fact remains we need SOMETHING bad to happen if anyone (other than the already filthy rich) is going to prosper. Sure you have some people come up through the ranks from poverty to upper middle class but its rare or for the hard core optimist uncommon.

Thats all I am saying, we need to make something cataclismic happen otherwise the vast majority of us will just keep getting poorer.

For instance I wanted to get a 22' utility trailer for some of my stuff, I am looking AT LEAST 7 grand. Now after my lay off and new cruddy wages I make, best case 750 a week. Just let that sink in.

I dont think I am the only one in my position.

Old 12-04-2018, 01:51 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,533,451 times
Quote:
For instance I wanted to get a 22' utility trailer for some of my stuff, I am looking AT LEAST 7 grand. Now after my lay off and new cruddy wages I make, best case 750 a week. Just let that sink in.

I dont think I am the only one in my position.
And you made 3 times that amount before the lay off, you weren't bothered by the people making less then.

And a war would not do what you think it would. It would lower everyone, the rich becomes middle class, the middle class becomes poor, the poor die off...

It isn't a grand reset where everyone somehow is equal. The rich are where they are because of what they know and the connection they have. Taking away their stuff doesn't make them dumber... They can still recover. What do the middle class have though? A job, they can't recover that if it goes away. The poor is even worse off, they barely have a job now, take away the social network and they die on the streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment