Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 12:04 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,980,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
#1. Stay away from large companies. They have so much red tape it's hard to get anything done. The only benefit is job security, which isn't more important than having the kind of interesting/challenging work that comes with smaller companies. There's uncertainty with #1, but uncertainty means opportunity.
Job Security is the most important thing these days. Challenging work means nothing if the place is a mismanaged dump that may only last a few years because of the mismanagement.

OP if you insist on the private sector, I would go and read some reviews online. Is it "turnover central?" Thats the first sign it probably won't be worth it to work there. One of the companies is losing clients. Thats a sign to steer clear. Because the bleeding probably won't stop. Companies today have this nutty idea of NOT dealing with their problems head on and making the necessary changes to improve. They avoid dealing with the rot thats declining their business. So the rot just keeps on going until its too late
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 01:01 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,732,207 times
#1 - I’ve been there for 5 years so they gain and loss and wax and wane, but my department is usually pretty safe from layoffs while others get hit harder. It’s a concern, but when I went over they told me it was going out of business. It merged with another place and they outed the executive team last October so it has gotten better. I see a lot more of the winning and losing than most because I work on bid proposals, too

#2 - I was there when it merged with the larger company and my records are under my maiden name.

I don’t think federal employment is that plentiful in my field and where I live. I’m in a navy town, but my husband is a firefighter so moving isn’t something I can do now.

Not that it matters but I heard someone say “his skill set” and it’s “her skill set”.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:49 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,880,256 times
You are reaching the point where you are technically strong, known as being technically strong, and being compensated and sought for it.

That's good, but it also means the wage and position acceleration is going to stop soon if you don't get management experience. If #1 is just a title shift there's no right or wrong option career wise among the two, do what you think will make you happier in your day to day. If #1 involves actually leading a team (not just having a team lead title) you'd be a fool to turn that down.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:56 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,476,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
offer #1 - current company with approximately 5k employees nation wide. Mental healthcare managed care organization. Title: Data analytics team lead. Pay: $92k in low cost of living city.

Pros: Work is interesting- mix of sql development and teaching non technical folks how to use web intelligence and power bi, no micromanagement, boss lives in a different state. I was severely underpaid early in my career there and within a year they gave me $32k in rare adjustments and promotion offers, big fish in small pond. 3 telework days a week.have a good mentor who ensures new senior leadership always knows my name and value

cons: Company has lost some major clients, won some smaller clients, work is stressful but manageable. Usually less than 50 hours a week though, but stressful. Boss is not very knowledgeable. High turnover lately as one vp in ny left and took a ton of people. Change is constant and i’ve had 6 big bosses in 5 years and more reorganizing is currently happening.

Offer #2 - large company with 50k employees, still in healthcare. Title: Business systems analyst 3 90k plus 6k bonus in same city. I worked for company before in an entry level premium billing role and left to get skills i need to advance.

Pros: Very stable company, 5 minutes down the road from me. Beautiful facilities with a gym

cons: Very large 100 people team, work is more writing specification documents for developers or programmers

dynamics: The hiring manager of #2’s boss was the manager of my current department before i joined it and hired in our current avp (who hired me) and he unofficially reached out to our avp about me. To the point where our avp asked me about it and why i was looking. I said i didn’t want to be a developer ii for years. The next day, his boss called me to formalize my role to team lead ( he had discussed it two weeks before this since my one corporate initiative was getting huge) and give me a raise and it all after my boss who had just said he had no plans of getting that role.

I’m more torn than i thought i would be.

Old 10-21-2018, 04:03 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,913,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Job Security is the most important thing these days. Challenging work means nothing if the place is a mismanaged dump that may only last a few years because of the mismanagement.
Being good at what you do is job security, given you can easily find new jobs. Waking up every morning and hating the company you go to work for is terrible. Job security at a job you hate isn't a positive.

Looking for job security in a job that doesn't challenge you is a recipe to be miserable every day at your job. If a place is mismanaged, that's a great opportunity to step in, do things correctly and get promoted.

Old 10-21-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
You are reaching the point where you are technically strong, known as being technically strong, and being compensated and sought for it.

That's good, but it also means the wage and position acceleration is going to stop soon if you don't get management experience. If #1 is just a title shift there's no right or wrong option career wise among the two, do what you think will make you happier in your day to day. If #1 involves actually leading a team (not just having a team lead title) you'd be a fool to turn that down.
I won’t have any direct reports, but I will be leading a team of 5 who directly report to my boss but come to me for questions and guidance. I will be managing a self service reporting program and have another 5 people across multiple teams where I get to tell them what to do. I also will have the ability to drive where our business intelligence architecture goes in the subsequent years.

Old 10-21-2018, 05:50 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,880,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
I won’t have any direct reports, but I will be leading a team of 5 who directly report to my boss but come to me for questions and guidance. I will be managing a self service reporting program and have another 5 people across multiple teams where I get to tell them what to do. I also will have the ability to drive where our business intelligence architecture goes in the subsequent years.
That's a mixed bag. It's not the actual management role you will need to advance your career over the long term but it puts you in a much better position to get that role either organically or to prevent you from leaving when you put in 2 weeks notice 2 years from now rather than now. I'd cautiously take #1 in your shoes but be ultra-polite in turning down #2 and not burn your bridges. Since it is not a true management role, I do not think it's advantageous enough to be worth staying if you would be happier in role #2, even if it likely will be somewhat better for your career.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:07 PM

Yup - where I am at Team Lead can lead to manager in a year or so. But it’s a required part of the career ladder we have so you can’t get manager until you’ve been lead. My director mentor (not my direct boss but in my 80 people department and has the ear of the senior leadership) says he has plans for us for my next progression.

I at least feel like it was nice to talk this out.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:01 PM

Reading the one business analyst’s post kind of scared me in the sense of feeling like $4k isn’t worth uncertainty

Old 10-21-2018, 07:52 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,957,885 times
other financial considerations?

1. retirement/pension/401k/matching/anything?
2. health care benefits/co-pay/ whatever.
3. changing tax brackets/state income tax/etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment