Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2018, 02:57 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,075,516 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am trying to figure out what are the main, simplified differences between a clinical social worker and a registered nurse...? I've 'googled' it and have gotten somewhat of a glimpse into how they are similar but different, but I am still unsure what might be the better career choice for me. I am planning on getting into a field where I can assist people and earn a decent salary and currently I'm researching social work, nursing, and even the dental field. I've taken a few career tests and I've been pointed in the general direction of these three fields. I don't have a science background, so I'd have to learn nursing from scratch. I do enjoy studying how people think and how to help them better themselves, so that's why I'm leaning a bit towards social work (I taught middle and high school in the past).

If anyone works in social work or in nursing and can give a quick and easy comparison of both, I would appreciate it.

Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 03:18 PM

674 posts, read 607,718 times
At the hospital where I used to work, the social workers were not involved in any medical decision and they were most engaged before a patient got discharged: they had to find a spot for the patient in a rehab facility or nursing home (if s/he was not to go home right away), arranged for transportation if family members weren't available, helped the patient apply for Medicaid, etc. IMO you would have immensely better prospects for career advancement if you were a RN, even if the schooling will take longer.

Old 10-22-2018, 05:02 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
At the hospital where I used to work, the social workers were not involved in any medical decision and they were most engaged before a patient got discharged: they had to find a spot for the patient in a rehab facility or nursing home (if s/he was not to go home right away), arranged for transportation if family members weren't available, helped the patient apply for Medicaid, etc. IMO you would have immensely better prospects for career advancement if you were a RN, even if the schooling will take longer.
I agree that jobs are more plentiful and better paid for RN's. Sometimes even paying twice as much as a clinical social worker.

But also, be aware that school will take MUCH LONGER to become a clinical social worker (requiring a Master's degree and 3 years of supervised experience afterward) vs. an RN (requiring a Bachelor's degree if that - some RN's have only graduated from a certificate program).

So...you do the math, which is the better career?

Old 10-22-2018, 05:25 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,075,516 times
Thanks, those were two awesome replies! I’ve heard that being an RN is a good career move, so I’ll lean towards that.

Is there any job that mixes the two, like being a Nurse Case Manager? Or is that position one that RNs with seniority gravitate towards?

Thx again!

Old 10-23-2018, 05:45 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver303TJC View Post
I am trying to figure out what are the main, simplified differences
between a clinical social worker and a registered nurse...?
The blood and other body fluids you'll get on you when in Nursing.
There are other differences but that's the main one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment