Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 12:57 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
By "entry level," they're talking about pay level.

The first job on your list...

And you talk as if getting internships is easy. It's not. Internships are as hard to get as jobs.
There are over 400 jobs on the list. I looked at some. I saw zero to little experience. I saw no experience indications. Either you focus on what one can get and prosper or you focus on what you can't get and let bitterness set in. You choose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
But wait! Your comment also does not take into account career changers! They're already working full time and taking college classes at night to improve themselves and find a job in another field.

They cannot take unpaid internships - they don't have mommy and daddy to live with during that time.

They cannot take minimum wage internships. They can't afford to quit their current job. Maybe if they're currently out of work, this is a possibility, but again, they don't live with mommy and daddy.
You will probably ignore this comment. I was a career changer in my 40s. I used my current experience and did lateral and upward job changes that moved me step by step closer to the ultimate job that I wanted. I built up my experience over a series of jobs. So, yeah, SMART PEOPLE can change careers and be successful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 02:55 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
There are over 400 jobs on the list. I looked at some. I saw zero to little experience. I saw no experience indications. Either you focus on what one can get and prosper or you focus on what you can't get and let bitterness set in. You choose.
You will probably ignore this comment. I was a career changer in my 40s. I used my current experience and did lateral and upward job changes that moved me step by step closer to the ultimate job that I wanted. I built up my experience over a series of jobs. So, yeah, SMART PEOPLE can change careers and be successful.
You do realize half the population is below "average," right?

Old 10-27-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You do realize half the population is below "average," right?
I would never say that. I would hope every individual sees themselves as being able to achieve all they want to achieve given who they are. Whatever their issues, people can maximize their lives.

But, funny you believe that half of America is below average. So, if that is true, we really do need that H1B visa program.

Anyone reading this want to declare themselves as below average?

Old 10-27-2018, 03:07 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
Likewise. I changed careers in my mid-40s in much the same manner. I took cross career experience and built upon that.

Old 10-27-2018, 05:55 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Some parts of your plan already exist, others are completely unworkable, you have a misunderstanding if hiring practices, and immigrants are not to blame for your woes.

Existing-Community colleges already offer essentially free educations. Depending on your income, financial aid grants are in excess of tuition and fees.

Unworkable-Forcing businesses to hire workers. How would you decide how many workers a business has to hire, and for what wage? My wife has a small business, from which she earns an ok living. shoukd she be forced to hire one person, which means my wife would earn almost nothing, or should she be forced to hire two people, which means she would definitely be losing money?

Misunderstanding-what bad hiring practices? Every time I need to hire somebody at work, I do. How is having one opening and hiring one person a bad hiring practice?

Immigrants-ok, more controversial, but you should realize that ur economy relies on immigrants in a couple of ways. They do jobs many Americans don’t want, but they also contribute to our economy. If we did not have immigrants, sales at businesses would drop as they stop buying stuff, and we would see a contraction in our economy.
They should not be forced to hire more workers but taxes should go up the more "efficient" they get in order to cover the social costs of mass lay offs and/or scant hiring.

If these Trump tax cuts dont result in massive hiring of GOOD jobs then taxes need to go back up and STAY up along with import taxes in the case where companies move over seas. If not then we are going to have increasing social problems across the USA as the cash flow dries up for many families.

I am looking at doing a masters of electrical engineering and there is no such thing as an affordable community college program for the degrees and certs that really matter. The MIT edx program is about the most promising online degree that is potentially going to be released. But lets not pretend like there is an abundance of relevant affordable education opportunities.

Old 10-27-2018, 05:58 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Likewise. I changed careers in my mid-40s in much the same manner. I took cross career experience and built upon that.
Yea, but its a nightmare and it does not work out so well for everyone. I am trying to do exactly that right now and its aweful. People who I thought were friends saying things like "well thats unfortunate but mass lay offs help the health of a company", isent having friends and a network what is suppose to get you a job .....

Its shaping up to be a VERY long term nightmare.

Old 10-27-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Yea, but its a nightmare and it does not work out so well for everyone. I am trying to do exactly that right now and its aweful. People who I thought were friends saying things like "well thats unfortunate but mass lay offs help the health of a company", isent having friends and a network what is suppose to get you a job .....

Its shaping up to be a VERY long term nightmare.
You get a job by being one of the top candidates. Are you still fixated on getting a government job or have you begin taking your job search seriously and broadening your target jobs?

Old 10-27-2018, 06:55 PM

4,618 posts, read 4,887,043 times
Quote:
I would never say that. I would hope every individual sees themselves as being able to achieve all they want to achieve given who they are. Whatever their issues, people can maximize their lives.

But, funny you believe that half of America is below average. So, if that is true, we really do need that H1B visa program.

That's what it literally means. By definition, half of all people are below average. Half of all Americans are below the average American. That's the literal definition of average. Middle. 50% above and 50% below. (mean vs. average withstanding)

Old 10-27-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:

Mathematically, half the population will below average under a perfect bell curve. That's what the "average" means.

But, see, that's part of why you can't or won't see that there is a problem.

You make a glib remark suggesting that everyone is capable of making a living as an engineer or a computer programmer or anything at that level when the truth is that no, most people cannot.

And as a society we need to deal with that situation. In fact, we're doing just the opposite--we're making it unnecessarily difficult for the "average" person to earn a living.

For instance, an "average" person should be able to run a barbershop or a hair salon. But we levy laws and codes upon such small businesses to the point that they need a law degree--or need to hire someone with a law degree--to figure out how to run their businesses.

Employers demand college degrees for jobs that don't need college degrees. Most coding positions do not need bachelor's degrees, they just need kids that can code.

But if you insisting on a pollyanna "I would hope every individual sees themselves as being able to achieve all they want to achieve given who they are. Whatever their issues, people can maximize their lives" is like pretending stairs are fine because nobody is in a wheelchair.

Old 10-27-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
You get a job by being one of the top candidates.
Well, "one of the top candidates" certainly means "above average."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment