U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2018, 08:30 PM

48 posts, read 15,061 times

Advertisements

How accurate do you think the salary predictors are ?
For example, salary dot com, or glassdoor dot com ?

The salaries I have been offered and accepted never typically aligned with what the magazines or websites claimed was a median salary for my industry. I wastypcially offered way less than the median, and negotiated up, but never really came close to the websites/salary predictors.
I just looked at salary dot com, and I accepted a salary much lower than the predicted salarly listed for the job title I accepted.

I canít be the only one getting lowballed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 09:10 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,784 posts, read 54,440,540 times
One of the advantages to working for a public agency is that all salaries are available to anyone any time, no question, even if not included in the job announcement. The example below is from where I used to work. It also gives you all of the various jobs done there. The sites you mentioned have only information that people submitted, may or may not be valid, and may not include all positions.

https://www.ebmud.com/jobs/job-resou...y-information/

Old 10-28-2018, 11:49 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,273,439 times
They are off by 5-10K usually above or below.

They don't factor in tenure in most cases and fake postings common. For example, Data Analyst Salary. Many job boards would have you believe an Entry Level Data Analyst starts at $75K per year nationally. Trolol no that is not entry level salary anywhere and if it is only in NYC, San Francisco, Seattle and LA.

Geographically location matters.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:47 PM

848 posts, read 641,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
They are off by 5-10K usually above or below.

They don't factor in tenure in most cases and fake postings common. For example, Data Analyst Salary. Many job boards would have you believe an Entry Level Data Analyst starts at $75K per year nationally. Trolol no that is not entry level salary anywhere and if it is only in NYC, San Francisco, Seattle and LA.

Geographically location matters.
I agree. Salary dot com is off by $5-10k.
In my experience pay scale and Glassdoor median salaries tend to be more realistic than salary.com.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:01 AM

4 posts, read 647 times
The data on the various website can vary significantly. That's why in our salary research([url]https://www.daxx.com/article/python-developer-salary-usa[/url]) we relied on Indeed and Gooroo

Old 11-16-2018, 08:22 AM

7,382 posts, read 11,551,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingToRetire View Post
How accurate do you think the salary predictors are ?
For example, salary dot com, or glassdoor dot com ?

The salaries I have been offered and accepted never typically aligned with what the magazines or websites claimed was a median salary for my industry. I wastypcially offered way less than the median, and negotiated up, but never really came close to the websites/salary predictors.
I just looked at salary dot com, and I accepted a salary much lower than the predicted salarly listed for the job title I accepted.

I canít be the only one getting lowballed.
The indicators for engineers are typically a bit high from BLS, Glassdoor, and Payscale, especially BLS, but they are within the ballpark.

BLS incorporates all of the people who work in that field, say mechanical engineer, while with Payscale, the title of the job produces the search.

Bascially, they are fairly accurate, yes.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:59 AM

3 posts, read 332 times
Glassdoor and Indeed are pretty accurate. As far as I understand, they collect information from people who register on the website and leave feedback about their employers. However, PayScale is not a reliable resource - I noticed up to 20K difference while making a guide about developers.

Btw, if you are interested in programmer salaries, you can also check resources like this one - https://qubit-labs.com/average-softw...rison-country/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or