Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 01:16 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times

Advertisements

You have spent 4 years, getting about the most worthless degree in the world in today's work world.

SaltyTalk Radio | The Worst College Degrees For 2015

https://www.forbes.com/pictures/lmj4.../#5ae137a73ffe

You are most apt to find a Job, that does not acquire a degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 01:35 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
After all, I have a short attention span (and always had a short attention span) and thus I have extreme difficulty concentrating if I have to focus on a subject or topic which I have no interest in.
This takes about any job out of a possibility for you but History Teacher.

You can forget a job for a journalist. Newspapers, magazines, etc., etc., are laying off their journalist every day, and with such a surplus of highly trained and experienced people in the field, there is no place for a new comer.

Your only hope for using your degree, is to go back to school and get your teaching certificate.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:52 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
You have spent 4 years, getting about the most worthless degree in the world in today's work world.

Are you serious?

The OP is looking for advice, not demoralization.

As for the OP, I would look into teaching. Can't go wrong with a salaried position.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:09 AM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

Wrong advice on so many levels. Why on earth would someone who has a degree look for work which requires no degree?

Hmm...let's see. I popped in BA degree unspecified in Indeed. Let's have a look. One of the first things I saw was an entry-level claims position which requires a B.A. in any field.

Qualifications:
  • Bachelor's degree required. All majors encouraged to apply including - Economics, History, Psychology, Communications, Business, Anthropology, Liberal Arts, Biology, English, Criminal Justice, Political Science, etc.
  • 0-3 years of professional experience
What's the salary for this position?

Min Salary:

Max Salary:

Since OP is unable to teach right now, I would advise the OP to look for similar entry-level positions which require any degree...NOT look for low-wage minimum wage work.

Old 02-02-2019, 02:18 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,791,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
Are you serious?

The OP is looking for advice, not demoralization.

As for the OP, I would look into teaching. Can't go wrong with a salaried position.
Yeah, I really would like to teach in the long(er)-run. BTW, I actually did have a couple of interviews for various tutoring positions but wasn't hired for anything yet. I'm still trying, though.

Old 02-02-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
Aside from teaching, a history degree is a tough sell if you don't have any internships, work experience to back up the degree. Yes there are jobs like archivist ,working a in a museum , state park system etc... but I would imagine that there are not many entry level roles and any entry levels roles that do exists will be extremely competitive.

In terms of office work your best bet would probably getting a low level clerical and or data entry type position and working your way up the corporate ladder from there.

I am going to be frank; History, like many other LA degrees are largely seen as "Check a' box" degrees by most employers... "i.e... check here if you have a degree"-that is not to say that LA grads are lazy or uncapable of hard work, it just the perception that man employers have. For example, History will be a harder sell to employers than the guy who majored in Engineering.

As for teaching, I would do it only if you are passionate about teaching or at least have some sort of interest in the profession-don't look at teaching as "well there is nothing else so here I am...". You can always sub in the interim to get a small taste of teaching to see if it is for you.
I got a degree in History because I really like this subject. I really do think that I would be a good history teacher and would certainly be very passionate for this job. For what it's worth, I got 5s on the AP tests for AP European History and AP US History back when I was in high school and I recently took the SAT for US History and got a 770 (out of 800) on it. I am looking for various jobs right now (tutoring and also some other jobs) but in the long(er)-run, I really would like to teach history. I'd probably be willing to eventually move to a different US state if I could not find any history teaching jobs here in California.

Old 02-02-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Wrong advice on so many levels. Why on earth would someone who has a degree look for work which requires no degree?

Hmm...let's see. I popped in BA degree unspecified in Indeed. Let's have a look. One of the first things I saw was an entry-level claims position which requires a B.A. in any field.

Qualifications:
  • Bachelor's degree required. All majors encouraged to apply including - Economics, History, Psychology, Communications, Business, Anthropology, Liberal Arts, Biology, English, Criminal Justice, Political Science, etc.
  • 0-3 years of professional experience
What's the salary for this position?

Min Salary:

Max Salary:

Since OP is unable to teach right now, I would advise the OP to look for similar entry-level positions which require any degree...NOT look for low-wage minimum wage work.
New Jersey is very far from where I live, though. It's literally on the other side of the country.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:14 PM

480 posts, read 316,263 times
$40k in NJ is very low in relation to the cost of living there.

Old 02-12-2019, 04:21 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
I got a degree in History because I really like this subject.
I really do think that I would be a good history teacher and would certainly be very passionate for this job.
I really would like to teach history.
How many schools or County systems have you applied to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment