U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2018, 07:16 PM

2 posts, read 1,090 times

Advertisements

Was going through some growing periods and worked odd jobs and realized the importance of money. In my head there was a battle between going for a career that provides a lot of opportunities, high stress, more money, and low debt or going for a career that offers more debt, less money, less job opportunities/not as in demand, but overall more chill lifestyle. I decided to go for the high stress job and currently in school for it. I am stressed out, lots of anxiety, easily agitated, with low sleep and debating on whether this path is worth it. The end goal isn't even a job I like, but it will provide me a comfortable lifestyle and I didn't want to worry about money like I did before and it is recession proof. I come from a poor family so I don't have that financial support which motivated my decision for this route.

The other option was more chill job, but I saw the lifestyle people lived and they were working multiple side jobs when they invested in a career per se with lots of debt and worried about money. I figured the high stress job required less of my time and I didn't want my future kids to suffer. I figured with smart investments I can get where I want to be down the line. But currently trying to truck through school and it is really demanding, the real world will be even more demanding. I would most likely be happier and it would have provided an okay lifestyle with the more chill job, but I didn't want to be worried about money constantly. Wondering what path people chose and whether it is worth it? Only i can tell if I made the right decision down the line. Just wanted to hear your stories.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 08:17 PM

516 posts, read 288,365 times
My story: high-stress, lots of travel, at times dangerous, job until my early 50s. It paid well and my wife and I lived way below our means. Then I went back to school for something drastically different and now have a no-stress job, at half my former pay. But I have no regrets. When I look at my colleagues who stayed on the high-stress/high-salary treadmill, I see heart attacks and strokes just waiting to happen.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:58 AM

2,561 posts, read 795,195 times
The key is to find a healthy mix of both. It took me 8 years but I got it. (Somewhat)

Old 11-01-2018, 08:23 AM

2,154 posts, read 2,204,236 times
I don't understand how you can say a high debt, less money lifestyle is less stress. Surely you can find something that would interest you and provide a decent living without going into debt. Notice I said "interest you" not "like". Many people just don't like work and being told what to do, but that's what comes of being a grownup. Unless you have your own company, but then there are other stressors.

There must be something you can do that you could take some pride in the accomplishment, pride in helping someone or pride in learning something new.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:28 AM

44,130 posts, read 54,221,801 times
Pay now or pay later.

I paid up front with insane work and stress and now I'm coasting peacefully in my 40s.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:30 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
31,183 posts, read 56,810,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
The key is to find a healthy mix of both. It took me 8 years but I got it. (Somewhat)
It took me longer than that. After having a business for 16 years I got burned out on the long hours and ups/downs so when the recession hit I let it go and got a job. Now in my 10th year here, I find it the perfect balance. Good money and benefits, not a lot of stress but enough challenges to keep it from being boring, and nice hours (6am-2:30pm) for a good work-life balance. We also have great promotional opportunities, though after two I have no intentions of going any farther since I'll be retiring in a few years.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:49 PM

5,544 posts, read 3,515,149 times
Well, it can also depend on your area of living. Many have high COL. Avoiding it takes careful thinking.

I avoided that by staying single and living out of vehicle.

College is good for some, trades are better for others....

Old 11-01-2018, 01:57 PM

7,994 posts, read 12,064,020 times
Somewhere in between.

Although I will say, that if I was doing something that was meaningful to me, I'd have no problem putting in lots of hours and enduring lots of stress. But just for $, it's not worth it.

I'd also say that your own personality in a way makes the decision for you. There's people who just cannot sit around doing nothing, and there's people who just are not capable of putting their nose to the grind and working hard.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:17 AM

13,310 posts, read 15,845,738 times
I don’t know if you can have a chill lifestyle with more debt. If you can factor in the other things without the debt, then yes.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:21 AM

2,106 posts, read 712,480 times
The piece you're missing (that a lot of people miss) is focusing on mental health. Talk to a therapist a few times/year, learn good coping techniques. That's something that the US is pretty horrible at addressing (particularly for men, and speaking for myself as a straight male, the idea of seeing a therapist regularly for mental health checkups is not common). I have a pretty high stress job, but I have very good techniques to manage stress. It took regular meetings with a counselor to learn and train myself into healthy ways to deal with stress to get there, however.

Stress is relative. If you train yourself into healthy ways to manage stress, you are better equipped to take those higher paying jobs without a negative impact on your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or