Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 07:10 PM

28,669 posts, read 18,788,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
But I'll modify my point with which some of you take issue. Instead of blanket advice not to speak openly with your manager, instead don't assume you can do so but first make sure your manager actually cares and has authority to act.
I would say even then, don't bother taking the issue to the manager without some practicable ideas to pull it out of the fire.

If the manager is getting the ground truth she should be getting, then she should be aware of whether they're still tracking to goal.

She most likely does not have the option of simply throwing in the towel and declaring defeat. That is the management version of hari-kari.

So what she'll want at that point are some ideas for success. If you see failure ahead, then the reasons why should be quantifiable.

And it can't be a matter of you having different goals and priorities. Sometimes people declare failure simply because they can't do it their way or to their own goal (or ideas of what the goal ought to be) and won't consider anything else.

I learned never to say fail, but rather, "This is what it will take to succeed."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 07:19 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I would say even then, don't bother taking the issue to the manager without some practicable ideas to pull it out of the fire.

If the manager is getting the ground truth she should be getting, then she should be aware of whether they're still tracking to goal.

She most likely does not have the option of simply throwing in the towel and declaring defeat. That is the management version of hari-kari.

So what she'll want at that point are some ideas for success. If you see failure ahead, then the reasons why should be quantifiable.

And it can't be a matter of you having different goals and priorities. Sometimes people declare failure simply because they can't do it their way or to their own goal (or ideas of what the goal ought to be) and won't consider anything else.

I learned never to say fail, but rather, "This is what it will take to succeed."
More excellent advice. It costs you nothing as an employee to offer some solutions. Worst case scenario, you get ignored. Best case, your idea works and your manager recognizes you for contributing to the solution.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:53 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
It would help if the opening poster would reveal some specifics that does keep in line with what they can legally disclose.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:09 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
^^ I agree. Until the OP comes back with more info or responds to what's been said so far, there's not much use in saying more about it.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:52 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
Even bringing perfect valid solutions to the problem probably won’t make a lick of difference. Generally in cultures of rot and failure, most of these “projects” have failed to begin with. That’s why the company’s is in the shape it’s in. The solutions who put forth to improve the operation will just be used by the manager as their idea. I’ve seen this in action a host of time. Management taking credit for others work and pawning the solutions off as their own

Old 11-12-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Even bringing perfect valid solutions to the problem probably won’t make a lick of difference. Generally in cultures of rot and failure, most of these “projects” have failed to begin with. That’s why the company’s is in the shape it’s in. The solutions who put forth to improve the operation will just be used by the manager as their idea. I’ve seen this in action a host of time. Management taking credit for others work and pawning the solutions off as their own
When did the OP say the company was in bad shape?

What I've seen a host of times is that projects succeed--one way or another--the champagne is passed around (or at least it's "Miller Time") and everybody gets a bullet for their performance reports.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:48 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Let's remember this is the opinion of a person who holds a job as an hourly warehouse worker and has never actually been involved in anything that could be classified as a project. He is not qualified to judge the financial or organizational health of a company.

Old 11-12-2018, 12:22 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Let's remember this is the opinion of a person who holds a job as an hourly warehouse worker and has never actually been involved in anything that could be classified as a project. He is not qualified to judge the financial or organizational health of a company.

Right. Because if you aren’t a manager you have no clue in this world

Only management has all the answers and knows what’s going on. Management would “never” run a place into the ground.

Old 11-12-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Right. Because if you aren’t a manager you have no clue in this world

Only management has all the answers and knows what’s going on. Management would “never” run a place into the ground.
I have been a manager.

It's certainly not as though managers intend to destroy their own companies and put themselves out of work. Particularly in this economy, managers are a dime a dozen.

Old 11-12-2018, 12:54 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
if things are going bad then go to your supervisor and say these are concerns about the project
also have a list of solutions or remedies to address problems you see.
(no matter how unlikely it is the remedies will be implemented, still come forward with several solutions because that shows your own ability to troubleshoot, problem solve, and have skill in process improvement)

my experience has been that bosses don't like to be blindsided. they would rather hear bad news ahead of time, and as far in advance as possible so they have some time to address it, do damage control, prepare a response themselves to their own higher ups.

as counter-intuitive as it may seem i have learned to kind of relish the role of spotting problems and keeping higher ups in the loop and yes even delivering bad news in a cheerful upbeat manner. if you "flee" and "jump ship" it looks like all you care about is your own self and your own job. if you actually can identify problems and a series of resolutions or process improvement, then it shows you care about the company. it shows you dont cave under pressure. it shows you are a team player with a good attitude. it shows you know how to do more than point the finger and blame. those things far outweigh a "successful project" in terms of career advancement and being someone valued in moving up the ladder. in my experience anyway, and in my industry. even if the project bombs you can still come out of it looking very good.

and it is something you can also use to your favor in an interview situation for future jobs. every performance based interview i have ever been in (and in my industry everything is based on the performance based interview) there have been questions about "describe a time a project was failing and what did you do" or "when did you have to deliver bad news to your bosses and how did you handle it"

if the project fails it fails. but what a person can "pull out of it" in terms of salvaging a bad situation in their own job or department is where you can shine with excellence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment