Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 08:01 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
It really depends on the company and industry. I was able to successfully negotiate an additional two weeks vacation at an F500, for a total of four weeks. Holiday, sick and personal were in addition to that.

I now work for the state, and vacation is not negotiable for anybody. That doesn’t bother me though, as it is a generous leave package
Yes... we hired a very much in demand OR tech... several Docs were coming to our Hospital but they insisted we hire a specific tech who is very good.

The tech said she would be giving up benefits it took years to earn... so Admin cut her a special deal... they agreed to match across the board to make the transition work...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 08:46 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
I don’t have to use PTO for holidays, but if the agency is closed the day before or after a holiday, I must use PTO. Although we do have the option of requesting an alternate work location if we can’t or don’t want to charge PTO for those days.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Yes... we hired a very much in demand OR tech... several Docs were coming to our Hospital but they insisted we hire a specific tech who is very good.

The tech said she would be giving up benefits it took years to earn... so Admin cut her a special deal... they agreed to match across the board to make the transition work...
And how do the other techs feel about that? Such deals can cause real problems, I'd suspect.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:41 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
And how do the other techs feel about that? Such deals can cause real problems, I'd suspect.
Our superstar of Ophthalmology retired... so we really were lacking anyone with similar experience plus we were courting this group to bring their cases here...

Techs often gravitate towards certain specialties... we have some excellent techs for ortho and plastic... eyes are something you either like or not... at least here.

Of course it helps when the person not only has the skill set but also a great personality.

Still remember a DON that was hired from the outside... she had all the credentials but very little practical... the staff had no confidence in her yet her resume was outstanding... didn't last 90 days. As the long time DON came up through the ranks and could do it all...

You make a good point... personalities in the Operating Room are a big deal.

During the problems with the 90 day DON... it got so bad the Surg RN where taking assignments from our Senior OR Tech... and gladly because he was an old military Surg Tech with lots of experience and the demeaner to get the job done without pissing off everyone... Docs would come to him... reps, nurses, etc...

He would have made an excellent DON and even the outgoing DON said he is fantastic... but, can't have a Senior OR Tech supervising your RNs... just not possible for many reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment