Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2018, 11:45 AM

29,506 posts, read 22,616,067 times

Advertisements

Mod cut.

Writing's on the wall, start looking.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-14-2018 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: Thank you. The threads have been merged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 11:51 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,495,519 times
Wow. You really get involved in stuff not related to your duties or you paycheck.

Only leave when you get what you came for.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:16 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,732,889 times
I would start looking, the company sounds like a mess.

Old 12-14-2018, 04:16 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,925,299 times
That place sounds toxic. Flush it down the toilet and bail.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:09 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
Who decided to pull the new guy onto the over-staffed project rather than the role he was hired for? The manager that you and your old supervisor both report to? I just don't understand why you can't mention any of this to someone in charge and have it fixed. Without resorting to threatening to quit again. Surely there's some in between step.
This. The new guy probably is reluctant to lodge a complaint, because he's new. But you can. The higher-ups seem ok with the fact that you alerted them to issues, so you can continue to do so. Someone (your new manager, I assume) needs to know you're doing the work of two people, too, while the new guy is bored with nothing to do. But you might try to figure out a way to present this info, that doesn't sound like you're complaining about being loaded down with two much work. Make it not about you, but about wasted human resources (the new guy), poor allocation of resources.

I still think, that when all this blows up, you'll come through it better than ever. But if it's driving you crazy, put your r4esume out there. You can always decide whether to move or not, after you get an offer or two. By then, you might have been promoted out of the train-wreck of a department you're in. You never know.

But objectively speaking, I would think, that before you look for another job, it would be better to ride this one out until after you get a promotion, or complete an important project, so you can list an accomplishment under this job, on your resume. See what I'm saying? Otherwise, when the int4erviewer asks you why you left this job, all you'd have to say, is a lot of complaining about a poorly run company. That doesn't come across well in an interview.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:57 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,368,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpero824 View Post
No, I think my manager( and my old boss's manager) is under the impression that the new guy is working with me to crosstrain.

Another employee was supposed to cross train and pick these up. He missed the initial cross training meeting and then took the entire month of December off.
Let's be serious here for a moment. This place is poorly run and it wasn't just your former manager and her three-hour lunches. The fact that no one seemed to notice it or care is a huge red flag. But now you have other issues there with how things are run. We don't know you, we don't know if you will be happy elsewhere or not. No one here can honestly say that. But there are a few things you need to clearly understand if you are going to be happy working in a company. Management isn't always perfect and they aren't always the way you think it should be. They can have different priorities than you do in the office. They also change their mind about things too, and don't communicate that. Or you are being told things by someone who isn't onboard with what is really going on there.

I think you are making yourself miserable there at this point. Just focus on what you need to do at work and ignore the rest of things. Unless we are talking about a health and safety issue, let the work not get done by others and management will figure it out. But what you really need to do is not cover up for others mistakes. Make sure you have clearly defined lines of what you are responsible for. If they won't tell you, you send out e-mail to your manager and your manager's manager stating what you are working on. If you need something you can't get on your own to do your job, send them e-mail and let them know in management there. When someone else complains to you or asks you to do something, you reply and CC your manager about it. In other words, you keep them all informed about what your understanding of the job is. This does NOT mean you start telling them how to do things there.

A friend of mine was in a mess of a situation like yours. I told him the same thing, do your own work, communicate what is going on with your work, and ignore everyone else. He did and finally management had a blow-up with other employees who were fired, and replaced with people who did their job.

The thing is, no matter where you work, you are going to find other people not working their job the way you think it should be done, and you can't sit there and be upset about it everyday. Unless it is your company or your responsibility to do something about it. Don't take on the concerns of things which aren't your job, that is going to make you sick. You also have to allow for the fact that management is aware of it and is handling the way they wish even if you don't like it.

The situation with the three-hour lunches, yes, totally you needed to get away from that and you did. To move forward, do your own work and don't cover for others and inform management.

Never hurts to look for a job, cause you can always turn it down.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:50 AM

21,880 posts, read 12,930,704 times
I'm confused... Are we now onto ANOTHER problem in the same workplace since the three-hour lunch problem has resolved? Oy...

Old 12-17-2018, 11:08 AM

801 posts, read 547,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm confused... Are we now onto ANOTHER problem in the same workplace since the three-hour lunch problem has resolved? Oy...
ah.. darn. I didnt stay up to date with the thread. Care to paraphrase what the new problem is? I don't even remember what the page I was on

Old 12-17-2018, 11:56 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,750,398 times
Anyone else think that the OP needs to (1) RLH and (2) ST[H]U?

Old 12-17-2018, 02:08 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,784,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
ah.. darn. I didnt stay up to date with the thread. Care to paraphrase what the new problem is? I don't even remember what the page I was on
Post 277, in part:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpero824 View Post
Started at a new company.

Current Issue

Another employee quit and I crosstrained her task prior to her leaving. We hired a back fill for her position and everyone thinks the new guy is doing her old job.

However, they pulled the new guy onto their project that we only have budgeted for 3 fulltime roles, but have 5 roles supporting it. The new guy is pretty annoyed too as he says there isn't even 3 full time jobs worth of work and confided in me that they just aren't showing up to work.

Whereas I'm doing two jobs

Decision

Do I wait it out and see if they finally fire some of the people that aren't showing up to work? or do I put my resume out there with a 3 month stint on it?

OP-Let's review

-You have been there three months.
-You complained to HR about your boss which usually is career suicide, but you managed to come out OK.
-You are now complaining about staffing and workload.

Advice:
-Look for a new job. I agree with the others, that place is dysfunctional.
-MYOB about work assignments and just focus on your job. Is it fair? No.

How many lives do you think you have there?

I cannot believe there is an organization that allows three hour lunches and people simply not showing up to work. No oversight?

FWIW I empathize with doing more than your fair share while others areas are overstaffed.

The place was 24/7 with nontraditional shifts so it is hard to explain the scheduling but the basic issue was staffing. Other "groups" worked with four managers on duty. When my "group" was working I was one of two managers-two people doing the work of four. I was 27 years in when this started. One manager retired and another was pulled to work exclusively on a special project. It was brutal. Not only was the workload unbearable it affected vacation days etc. It didn't help to watch the other managers not have their staffing affected by the shortage.

Top management did not want to shuffle other managers to me because it would cause too much disruption and the situation was supposed to be "temporary".

"Temporary" lasted nearly a year. It ended only when a new top boss reorganized and redistributed the workload-and promoted the two managers we were short.

We (me and the other manager) were getting the job done so there was no incentive to fix this.

In hindsight I regret letting it go on. I had enough pull to get upper management to listen but didn't try because I kept getting told the person on the special project was coming back next month-and that person got promoted and NEVER returned to that role.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment