Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2018, 07:53 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,298,756 times

Advertisements

I don't eat out with anyone I don't like unless they are paying. If it was an otherwise great high paying job, I would possibly think about going but picking up my small seperate tab only. Definitely not paying for others splurging.

I've also had several small businesses over the years and whenever I took my employees out to lunch, I always paid for everything. I would expect any half decent supervisor/manager/business owner etc. to do the same if they were requiring you go to lunch with them.

The only exception to these rules for me is if insane amounts of $$$ are being made by everyone involved. I'm not a seafood fan at all but I'll be a raw oyster aficionado with you at lunch every day and on Sundays if you're paying me enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 08:07 PM

102,176 posts, read 107,735,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpero824 View Post
I worry if i went to HR, that my manager would emotionally over react and make my current job miserable. She got unreasonably upset on me skipping out on ethiopian today.
She sounds like a nut job, frankly. What an incredibly trivial thing for her to get upset about! I'm sure at some point on this thread, someone suggested, that you tell her, that if she pays your for the time at lunch, being that it's a requirement, you'd be ok with attending. That would add up to a lot of overtime. Otherwise, you should take your concerns to HR. The manager can't require you to spend money (tell HR it would be a financial hardship; by your math, it would cost you $400/mo. which is outrageous, oh, and that's only using your $20 figure you spend on. your own lunch, not the $55 figure ), and also, to spend an additional 2-3 hrs. daily at work (tell HR you have after-work obligations on some days, and have to leave at a certain time).

I'm curious to see how this plays out. But while you're getting up the gumption to go to HR, also be researching other jobs.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 11-11-2018 at 08:26 PM..

Old 11-11-2018, 08:16 PM

102,176 posts, read 107,735,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
What the hell????! HOw insane is this??!! Thank GOD I don't work out in the brick and mortar world.YOU need to put your foot down and say that you will no longer eat out with the 'team' because it's too costly for you and you need your lunch time to be YOUR personal alone time...which is your right for it to be!! On Monday...just say no thank you and give no more explanation except that one time and that should be it.I find it harassing for your manager to be forcing you to do this thing that you should haven't to do! What are these people...little children that they have to all go to lunch together?Do they all go to the bathroom together as a team as well??lol
This is really insane and inappropriate.You are a grown adult and your lunch time is your own time.Period.
This gave me an idea. Along with the other reasons for not going (financial burden, extends your workday by 2-3 hours, which you don't have time for) ,tell HR and your manager, that you need your quiet time, your private time, at lunch, in order to recharge for the rest of the day. Tell them this is how you maintain your peak efficiency, and your work would suffer if you don't have that down time at lunch, Emphasize that you're striving to give the company your best quality performance.

There's nothing that could say, to counter that.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:06 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,107,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
Yeah, you reject it by finding a new job.

Listen I've seen this played out too many times, actually quite recently 2 people I know got fired over this. The issue inst the task, its that you are demonstrating insubordination and refusing to take orders despite your rank. To assume you know EVERYTHING about the company and the culture is a one way ticket to get the pink slip. Unless your title says manger or VP (maybe still) you shut up and do what they pay you to do. As long as it is not illegal what's your problem? Dignity? Integrity? Anyone who works for a company that generates millions off your labor is a slave to the corporate hierarchy. You signed away your dignity, integrity, morals once you accepted that offer.

Managers will get rid of people over personal disputes easily and no employee is perfect.
Yea, but unless it’s super high paying who cares, I can easily replace a mediocre job. An insanely high paying job, not as easy to replace. So the pay will determine how much I put up with.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:10 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,107,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Ugh, even $200K a year clear would not be enough for me to deal with daily 2-3 hour lunches with the boss that are mandatory at places I don't like to eat at.

What's worse is the OP is stuck working til 8PM a lot of nights because the long lunches take away from work time. Sorry but that's no life and I can see why he is upset. I have a job that pays 6 figures (not 200 K) and put in long hours sometimes but 8PM every night is insane
I used to make like 135k and I put up with slot but not working till 8 (other than rare instances), but 200k is very different from 135k, I would put up with this scenario for 200k after tax and housing (just in case this is in the Bay Area or some time)

Old 11-12-2018, 01:28 AM

10,885 posts, read 7,359,286 times
Bring a bag lunch and your laptop with you to the restaurant. Eat what you want and get work done.

You say another team member plays computer games, so boss won't be upset by the computer. The restaurant may make a fuss about outside food. With luck, maybe they'll ban your entire group,

Old 11-12-2018, 02:13 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,300,147 times
A reprimand is just a warning, if that. Has she actually made any threats?

I'll bet if you went to HR to complain, they'd say, "Oh, HER."

$5000/yr and 500-750 hrs/yr for lunch. That's really eating into your resources. How long have you been working there?

How long has this been going on? If it's only been weeks, hang loose - the problem will clear up by itself. If it's been years, get out.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:07 AM

9,426 posts, read 5,180,830 times
Labor law violations. She can’t force you to take a 3 hour lunch, chip in for everyone else’s extravagances, nor make up the time on the back end. You need to get serious about this. Put an end to it now. Go up your chain of command.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:11 AM

7,234 posts, read 4,537,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Labor law violations. She can’t force you to take a 3 hour lunch, chip in for everyone else’s extravagances, nor make up the time on the back end. You need to get serious about this. Put an end to it now. Go up your chain of command.
This is why you may need to quit. I have been here before...

insult the boss by rejecting the boss... she will start harassing you and going over your performance and becoming picky.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:44 AM

15,415 posts, read 25,784,989 times
Can these required lunch expenses be written off on her taxes. Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment