U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2018, 05:29 PM

5 posts, read 2,762 times

Advertisements

Employer has offered me a job, but told me that I am replacing someone in the workplace who is apparently not a good cultural "fit" and has some performance issues. This person apparently doesn't know that I will be taking his spot. It's a small office (like 8-9 people) and word gets around in a small environment as you can imagine. In fact, I'll be working there on the days the soon-to-be fired employee is not there, and then the employer will fire them soon after like in a couple of weeks.

How awkward is that? I saw a sign in the lunch room that says that I am starting this position soon, so staff must know that this employee is going to be fired. Even the soon-to-be fired employee must think that something suspicious is going on.

Should I bother taking this job? Is this a sign of a shady workplace? I kinda feel bad for the fired employee. I thought employers usually fire the employee first and then bring in the replacement, but not have both of them work at the same office and then fire the employee.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 05:39 PM

1,857 posts, read 714,087 times
It is awkward but that's life. If it is a decent job I would take it.

But beware of what they tell you. You are going to be watched as well. Perhaps if they don't like you or are not satisfied with your performance, you may be the one let go and not the "problem employee".

Old 11-10-2018, 06:02 PM

5 posts, read 2,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
But beware of what they tell you. You are going to be watched as well. Perhaps if they don't like you or are not satisfied with your performance, you may be the one let go and not the "problem employee".

That is what I am worried about.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:11 PM

3,774 posts, read 2,032,337 times
You're new and you're already aware you're the replacement for someone who's going to be fired? Wow. No way I'd work for some place like that. Good luck.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:41 PM

2,865 posts, read 1,253,994 times
"Cultural fit" can mean a lot of different things.

It can mean that the person is being fired because: they don't get on well with their boss, they are not well liked by their co-workers, they are not competent in their job, they don't fit in with the team, they lack emotional intelligence, they really don't fit the company culture, they are too old/too young, wrong sex/wrong race, so on. Millions of reasons someone is a 'bad fit'; some legitimate some not.

If it were me, I would carefully try to observe the interactions in this workplace and pay attention to the overall feel. I would also be somewhat cautious depending on what I saw/learned. I would also try to find out why the person you are replacing is a 'cultural fit' issue and then try to avoid doing what they did.

I would be leery since they hired me prior to actually firing the person and having me work there with the person knowing I am there replacement...I would just feel strange about that and it would not make me feel good about the company.

Old 11-11-2018, 04:30 AM

6,942 posts, read 3,058,957 times
If it’s big money and you dont have to move or commute far take the money, if this is mediocre pay and/or you have to relocate I would pass.

Old 11-11-2018, 06:13 AM

3,902 posts, read 2,742,272 times
I'm just surprised the employer told you. I think it happens all the time, but they go with the story that you are the new assistant, the soon to be fired employee trains you happily, then they are let go.

Old 11-11-2018, 07:26 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,272,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason666 View Post
Employer has offered me a job, but told me that I am replacing someone in the workplace who is apparently not a good cultural "fit" and has some performance issues. This person apparently doesn't know that I will be taking his spot. It's a small office (like 8-9 people) and word gets around in a small environment as you can imagine. In fact, I'll be working there on the days the soon-to-be fired employee is not there, and then the employer will fire them soon after like in a couple of weeks.

How awkward is that? I saw a sign in the lunch room that says that I am starting this position soon, so staff must know that this employee is going to be fired. Even the soon-to-be fired employee must think that something suspicious is going on.

Should I bother taking this job? Is this a sign of a shady workplace? I kinda feel bad for the fired employee. I thought employers usually fire the employee first and then bring in the replacement, but not have both of them work at the same office and then fire the employee.
nope this happens a lot. Especially hire up you go. Many senior associates get notified 1-3 months in advance lay off. What do you think they do in those 1-3 months. They end up training replacements. Sometimes they wont even tell you until after they finished training you.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:53 PM

9 posts, read 3,659 times
I wonder how somebody could work in a job knowing that they’re lying to the person next to them about the fact that they’re going to be replaced?

I don’t mean morally (although i’d certainly feel weird about it), but I mean it just must be a really awkward situation. And then imagine that current employee gets let go/is fired and you have to sit there whilst they pack up and leave. On top of that the boss has to keep lying and risk getting found out.

It just seems like a lot of unnecessary stress to put everybody through. I can’t really get my head around.

Not to mention that it’s a bad retention strategy. If I were the replacement employee, I’d be seeing big red flags about how performance issues and firings are addressed, in addition to the rampant passive/aggressive behavior of the boss. I would have absolutely no trust in the boss. Who’s to say my new co-worker down the road isn’t going to be *my* replacement? As they say about getting into a relationship with someone who cheated on their SO – if they’ll do it with you they’ll do it to you.

This whole arrangement comes across as sneaky and gross. Says a lot about the boss and workplace/culture.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:55 PM

9 posts, read 3,659 times
Also, this is the sort of drama you expect from high school cliques, not grown-a$$ adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment