Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2018, 05:05 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
You could always try saying that your product's technology is so advanced that only your company's trained, certified technicians have the know-how to diagnose and solve any of its problems.
That's still saying the product is subject to problems....

But still, this is one to try, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 03:36 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
A lot of employees just work somewhere to get their paycheck.

YOu should try offering commission or bonuses for sales.
Exactly. There is nothing in it for the employee to do any more than the minimum. The "upsell" goes to the owner, not the employee.

Old 10-09-2019, 06:17 AM

1,112 posts, read 884,497 times
Good training, explain the “benefits”, don’t ask the question that can be answered “no”. At the store I work...successful transactions for opening a credit card ARE compensated...even just for running the application for one and even if the customer does not qualified for a card.

The high school and college kids LOVE the extra $$ on their paychecks. This is like adding a $ to their hourly rate. The paycheck stub itemizes the money earned on new accounts opened. And many of them love the competition between them and their team members. These kids make it fun for the team and the customer. Great skill building. I am impressed with this generation willing to put in the effort.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:33 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae Maes Garden View Post
Good training, explain the “benefitsâ€, don’t ask the question that can be answered “noâ€. At the store I work...successful transactions for opening a credit card ARE compensated...even just for running the application for one and even if the customer does not qualified for a card.

The high school and college kids LOVE the extra $$ on their paychecks. This is like adding a $ to their hourly rate. The paycheck stub itemizes the money earned on new accounts opened. And many of them love the competition between them and their team members. These kids make it fun for the team and the customer. Great skill building. I am impressed with this generation willing to put in the effort.
\
Benefits? What benefits? You mean the benefit of being a sucker and paying for something you didn't want and that is worthless? I think I'll pass on that "benefit".

I have been offered a warranty on a $20 electronics cable. Really???

No, upselling is a bunch of BS that the marketeering brigade thought up 80 years ago and still can't get it through their heads that the time when it was new and unusual and worked has long since passed. Just like cold calling people during dinner, it DOESN'T WORK. I swear, I don't think the MBAs and marketing people have had a fresh idea since FDR was President. Maybe since TR was President.

Oh yeah, open a store credit card. Another bunch of hooey. Want to be on our junk mail list (oops, I mean "preferred customer card")? No, and no.

If they would let the clerks get on with the job of taking my damn money and shutting the hell up about it, maybe there would be enough man-hours available to actually hire some people who know something about the goods on sale to assist customers on the floor.

It goes from the top to the bottom of the retail world. "I'll have a Big Mac, a large Coke, and an order of fries." "Would you like any of eighteen other things that you didn't order, but I have to try to sell you about or I'll get fired?" "No, damnit! A big Mac, a large Coke, and an order of fries!!!"

Old 10-09-2019, 07:43 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Year old thread. Just in case you didn't see it.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:35 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
A lot of employees just work somewhere to get their paycheck.

You should try offering commission or bonuses for sales.
Yep. I sell eyewear. Upselling can mean the difference between a $100 pair of glasses and a $1000 pair of glasses. My boss doesn't pay me commissions. Why? I am "only" a part time salaried employee and am never going to go full time. Part time employees are not valued like full time employees. So I sell a lot more $100 pairs than $1000 pairs. I don't get spiffs, and unlike every company I've worked for before, I don't even get a free pair of glasses per year. I do my job, I'm nice, but I have little incentive to persuade customers to buy more.

Old 10-09-2019, 03:56 PM

339 posts, read 148,585 times
I avoid stores that try and sell me stuff I don't want, credit cards etc. Its why online stores are popular!

Especially looking at Target, JcPenney, Bath & Body Works etc...(Worst offenders, I came to buy Shampoo not to sign up for a Rewards card)

I don't mind cashiers pointing out I bought a product, with say Hello Kitty on it, and pointing out they have a Hello Kitty section! That is useful. Not selling me a warranty for something that already has one!

Any store I have ever gone into that bothers me with unnecessary sales tactics, loses my business forever! Great way to retain customers!

Old 10-09-2019, 06:50 PM

1,112 posts, read 884,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Year old thread. Just in case you didn't see it.
I did...your point is?

Old 10-09-2019, 07:57 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
Selling is the thing you do to get people to part with their money.
Upselling is the thing you do to get people to part with MORE of their money.

Unless one is an expert sales droid, which 99% of retail employees are not, that is why it is hard for retail people to upsell.

It is even MORE difficult if the company doesn't give bonuses or raises for successfully upselling.

Old 10-11-2019, 06:34 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
I like how this comedian hit the nail perfectly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6YEpXS_ugU&t=338s

Note: He's been dead for quite awhile, but still is funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment