Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 08:45 AM

2 posts, read 1,179 times

Advertisements

I am bullied at work and would like to make an analogy: (Bear with me!)

Mod cut.

Most days the senior management team (which I am part of), at my employer feel like they are working for Mod cut. We all directly report to a remarkable man who has created incredible success for our company. He has an incredible presence, an incredibly powerful personality, charisma and force of will. People talk about him endlessly. He can be the most wonderful man in the world one day and the next a complete devil.

One day he tells us we walk on water and we feel like we are ten feet tall and the next day we are bullied, berated and belittled and we are 10 inches tall. He scares to death some of the most accomplished men and women who have seen it all.

Why do we stay? It looks great on our resumes if we can survive a few years. Our CEO is very highly regarded in the community and his recommendation is like gold. Every day we survive in the company we are paid about 50% more than the market for our services. We get a great end of the year bonuses. When we travel in the job we stay the Ritz Carlton or similar five-star hotels and eat at the best restaurants in the city.

So far I have survived for 14 months. I am trying to make it 2 years. But it is killing me! (Notice my username?)

Just like the Mod cut., if we survive we can write our own ticket in our next challenge. But if we don't, we may be blacklisted.

Would you want to work for a company like ours for our very demanding CEO?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-13-2018 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: Save politics for the Politics forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 09:07 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
No. I don't put up with abuse from people in my personal life. I certainly won't do it for a paycheck. There would only be a few exceptions to this rule. An example would be having mouths other than my own to feed. The reason so many employers retain managers like this is because highly-qualified people put up with it. If more people walked away from these horrible people, companies might be forced to hire managers that will REDUCE turnover - not cause it. But workers feel they have no power and put up with nonsense.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:23 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
So when is someone going to stand up on their hind legs and deck this jerk?

I am sorry to say that I have dealt with this in the past and did not do the honorable thing and walk out of the office forever, but did the expedient thing and kept my head down. At least I never (rarely?) joined in the feeding frenzy.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:35 AM

2 posts, read 1,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
So when is someone going to stand up on their hind legs and deck this jerk?

I am sorry to say that I have dealt with this in the past and did not do the honorable thing and walk out of the office forever, but did the expedient thing and kept my head down. At least I never (rarely?) joined in the feeding frenzy.
To get another job in our community, the employer would check with my boss and see what he thinks of me. So if I don't play his game, I will be blacklisted. (I have bills to pay!)

Old 11-13-2018, 09:39 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullied View Post
To get another job in our community, the employer would check with my boss and see what he thinks of me. So if I don't play his game, I will be blacklisted. (I have bills to pay!)
Then the solution is to find a job in another community. There is always a choice. I'm not telling you to leave. But too many workers act like they have no choice. And when they finally find something better (because there ARE employers that don't treat you like craps), they wonder why they didn't leave sooner. You won't have any idea how this job is really affecting you until you leave. I hope you eventually find a better boss to work for.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:41 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
If you're not paid well its one thing. Theres no point in putting up with that. But if you're getting paid well, may as well put up with the sociopath. If you can handle it that is. Some can handle sociopaths better than others. Sure you can always jump ship somewhere else but who's to say you won't have sociopaths running that show as well?

Most managers are borderline psychopathic. Your chances of getting one that isn't a complete nut is very slim these days. The cream doesn't rise to the top these days. The CRAP does. We will live in a contemporary society today where bullying, sociopathic behavior, Lying, treating others like dirt and being greedy and selfish is REWARDED. Not punished. While being a decent human being who does whats right, moral ethically, treating others with respect and dignity and carrying about your fellow man is either ignored, looked as a sign or weakness and frowned upon

Its hard to find any decent people with morals and ethics these days much less find them in management positions. . Most people are complete scumbags because society today rewards scumbags.

If you're being paid well, I would say just tune all the nonsense out. Maybe someday someone will pick up a brain and the goofs will be removed.. I should have left my job a few years ago once all the nuts took over and ran everything into the ground, but chances are high I will end up right back in another company where the same BS is going on and nothing is done about the horrible decisions.. Since the truth is this is how the private sector is today. You can't escape it unless you can managed to luck out and get a job working remotely from home thus avoiding the BS

Last edited by DorianRo; 11-13-2018 at 10:57 AM..

Old 11-13-2018, 11:24 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
You get paid well above the norm because you work for a psycho.
So, your choice is to recognize that you are likely going to have to accept a pay cut or grow a thicker skin.

Leaving town is definitely an option.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:56 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Maybe he is bipolar or has some mental health issue. Whatever his problem is, he doesn't appear to hold a grudge, he is just unstable, so you don't know whether you are getting Dr. Jekyll or Mr. Hyde. It is kinda like basic training; the drill sergeant yells at everyone all of the time. Just say, "yes, sir" and move on. If you can't do that and you are taking things personally, you need to move on sooner rather than later.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:54 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Get the money or quit, whatever. You have it pretty good so do one or the other and be done with it.

You know, it’s not like this guy is going to beat you up.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 11-13-2018 at 07:41 PM..

Old 11-13-2018, 07:16 PM

801 posts, read 547,221 times
I guess growing up with bitter, disappointed parents have its perks. Verbal abuse hasn't phase me since I was 16 years old.

There isn't much he can do to you as long as you don't do anything wrong.

Personally, I would suck it up since sticking around for 1 more year considering how much it will benefit my career so darn much.

Last edited by Liar_Liar; 11-13-2018 at 07:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment