Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 01:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,197 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

So I recently got a job at an IT company and I'm really enjoying it, but my health is going backwards noticably. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the lack of physical activity. I go to work by train or by car, then I sit behind my desk from 8:30 AM till 5:30 PM and after that I go home by train or by car and in the evening I'm so tired that I can't really do much physical stuff anymore, so I do hardly any physical activities.

A friend asked me join him at the gym before work and I think that doing that would be good for my health and also for my focus the rest of the day. There's only one problem. The gym opens at 7:00 AM to be at work in time I have to get the train of 7:44 AM, meaning that I should leave the gym at around 7:35 AM. That's 35 minutes, excluding showering.

So my plan is this: I take the train 30 minutes later, at 8:14 AM and then I arrive at work at 8:43 PM exactely, which is 13 minutes later then I should. Now my boss isn't the worst and I think that he'll allow me to do this if I ask him the right way at the right time, but I really, really don't want to mess this up. So I want to know the best way to ask him this. He doesn't really like long winded explanations.

Thanks in advance,

Dranel Saam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 02:55 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Sounds like a good plan, just be professional about it and not be demanding.

Old 11-14-2018, 03:21 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,412,392 times
Do you get an hour lunch? Ask if you can come in at the later time and take a shorter lunch to make up for it.

Old 11-14-2018, 04:23 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
Do you get an hour lunch? Ask if you can come in at the later time and take a shorter lunch to make up for it.
This.
8:30 to 5:30 is 9 hours, so take a half hour lunch. I don't see why it would be a problem if you make up the time.
Plus, your boss gets 17 minutes for free.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:56 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Instead of a long-winded explanation, I'd say, "Would it be possible for me to come in at 8:45 instead of 8:30 each day? I could take 15 minutes less for lunch or stay until 5:45 to make up for it."

I don't think he needs to know that you're gaining weight and that you want to go to the gym or that the train will get you there exactly 13 minutes later than usual.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:28 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
I think that is a reasonable request. Definitely offer to make up the time somehow, staying later or shortening your lunch.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:56 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
Is your position time sensitive? Like manning a help desk where the official hour starts at 8:30 and you are taking calls?

If not, then shifting your time should not be an issue. If you are, I'd talk to a co-worker first and get their okay to cover that 15 min (maybe offer them the option of leaving early or at least not have to take calls for the last 15min). This way, you are offering your manager a solution, which will make your proposal easier to okay.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:51 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranel Saam View Post
Hey everyone,

So I recently got a job at an IT company and I'm really enjoying it, but my health is going backwards noticably. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the lack of physical activity. I go to work by train or by car, then I sit behind my desk from 8:30 AM till 5:30 PM and after that I go home by train or by car and in the evening I'm so tired that I can't really do much physical stuff anymore, so I do hardly any physical activities.

A friend asked me join him at the gym before work and I think that doing that would be good for my health and also for my focus the rest of the day.

//snip

So my plan is this:

//snip

He doesn't really like long winded explanations.

Thanks in advance,

Dranel Saam
Conversation transcript, I'm the boss. Call me BB.

(Dran): (knock knock): "Hey, BB, quick ask but wanted your feedback for any Yellow Flags first. Got five?

(BB): "Sure, I have time for a quick drive-by. What's up, Dran? Still going well, after a couple months here?"

(Dran): "Well, that's the thing. Love it here, got some quick wins on the (x, y, and z) per our conversations earlier (there better be some of these already!).

(BB): (nodding): "You did, looks like you're fitting in. What else can I do for you, as a new employee of Acme? We're a team and I want you to be challenged here!"

(Tran): "Think I could work just a little flex on the hours? In by 9am, out by 6pm? Here's why: I'm starting a Wellness Program and the sessions are done such a way that I catch the later train.

(BB): "What exact impact does this have on your (meetings, regular discussions, team events, client calls, offshore calls, deliverables deadlines). Oh, you've outlined that on a quick spreadsheet, and discussed and Approved with stakeholders? Awesome, that's all I care about. Give me a two min summary of this sheet."

(Tran): "Cool, it's done then.

(BB): "One more thing: Acme promotes employee wellness, rested and exercised employees are healthier and happier. Send a message to Benefits, see if there is a reimbursement plan for your exercise course. CC me. Thanks, catch you later then! /drive-by meeting.

This is a no-brainer, especially if you're a mid-level. Senior or Leadership, you'd never even have the discussion, you'd just do it, because the only one monitoring your deliverables is usually you. You're good at your job and wouldn't dare do anything to roil the customer, or your team, or your manager...not deliberately.

Should go fast. Have the conversation like it's already occurred, in passing, and have all answers ready per the above.

I get P.O.d when my indirects do NOT have this conversation, and just turn up whenever or don't tell me in sufficient time to cause a client disruption. That catches my attention, if any clients are left hanging. I had a senior-level guy do that, repeatedly, so I eventually reprimanded him after a couple discussions that were warnings. Bet he doesn't like that in his personnel portfolio, but tough luck I figured.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:54 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
I would look for a gym that opens at 6:00. Or go to a gym near your office after work.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:54 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,083 times
I work 8-5 and if I need to come in late, leave early, etc I can just take a shorter lunch. My boss is flexible about it If you're job isn't time sensitive, I don't see an issue. Keep is short and simple, he doesn't need to know why. And make it 8:45. Worst he can say is no.

Or you could go to the gym after work, or find one that's 24/7 access
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment