Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 12:39 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,461,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
Bingo. I work for a state agency, and our HR people have no clue about many of the qualifications that they are screening for. They qualify people who aren't, and screen out people who are.
On the flip side, there are many times HR is putting through qualified applicants using the actual criteria based on laws and regulations that must be considered. It's the hiring managers that have the wrong idea about who is and isn't qualified because they are biased and want to choose people based on What they believe is "best qualified". Competent HR professionals are a check on nepotism and cronyism. Managers don't like to hear that because they want to do whatever they please as "boss". At the end of the day, you don't know how an applicant will fare until they're actually in the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 04:04 PM

17,531 posts, read 13,320,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
I wish the recruitment industry would follow Liz Ryan out of the morass that it is in.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lizryan.../#78a1c9935252
I'm "passively" waiting for a call.

Oh wait, I forgot, I'm retired

That said, most of my carrier moves were passive

Old 11-16-2018, 05:17 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,222,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I don't believe this "passive" job candidate thing exists.
It most definitely exists. Seen it happen too many times for it to "not exist".

Because of the "passive candidate" being hyped into the stratosphere, there is discrimination against people who are out of work. They are falsely stereotyped as "not good talent" because "good talent already has jobs."

Old 11-16-2018, 05:27 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,750,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
They are falsely stereotyped as "not good talent" because "good talent already has jobs."
Ooh! Ooh! It's the corollary to "There's a job for anyone who really wants to work."

Old 11-16-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Ooh! Ooh! It's the corollary to "There's a job for anyone who really wants to work."
That's been false since the 1970's. There are always people out of work.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:11 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,461,611 times
Quote:
It most definitely exists. Seen it happen too many times for it to "not exist".
I know nothing about your industry, the job market in your area or your skill level. This forum skews heavily toward management and there are a lot of Boomers here. Those people will have more years of experience and likely earn higher wages than someone with only a decade or two (maybe less) of experience. You can't paint a broad brush when there are so many unknown variables. I'm sure If we dug into the details of your network we'd find the people you know have similar profiles. Is the Wal-Mart worker a "passive candidate" for Target? Probably not. Recruitment costs money. Companies are not going to waste a lot of money "looking" for candidates when there are cheaper ways to get talent.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
That's been false since the 1970's. There are always people out of work.
RFC. My comment was about as sarcastically put as it could be.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Companies are not going to waste a lot of money "looking" for candidates when there are cheaper ways to get talent.
I agree, the obsession about "passive candidates" does not make good business sense. They'll pay more for them. The passive candidates tend to bring an entitlement mentality and will jump ship when someone else poaches them for more money. Then here goes more money out the door for more recruitment expenses to get the replacement.

It makes more business sense to hire someone who is out of work than someone who is currently employed. One can hire someone cheaper than the passive candidate and will get someone who is grateful for the opportunity with less entitlement mentality.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
RFC. My comment was about as sarcastically put as it could be.
That's why we have emoticons. They're used to indicate sarcasm.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
That's why we have emoticons. They're used to indicate sarcasm.
And "Ooh! Ooh!" is used to indicate the pending delivery of only the gravest facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment