Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2018, 04:28 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

When Hostess closed and laid off union employees and then re-opened under new owners and hired them at half the salary, people on these boards were ecstatic about it, something I have never understood.

Because Hostess unions caused much of the problem via feather-bedding. Two Hostess products could not be distributed on one truck. Doubles the jobs, doubles the cost.

This is why I feel no sorrow for the demise of unions, as unlike when they came into creation, they stopped being about just compensation for hard-working folks, but rather they became about feather-bedding, about protecting horrible staff from justly being fired, and about 7 figure pay for union fat cats, plus greasing politicians palms

https://www.forbes.com/sites/timwors.../#1094110b4dbb

https://nypost.com/2016/01/17/city-p...-rooms-return/

PS: A relative confided last night he hired 5 state employees he regretted within 2 years hiring, but now they do under half a days work daily as f/t staff, having been written up many times, but state knows they cannot ever actually fire them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Isn't Bezos an open borders guy? I'm surprised you're praising him.

I'm not a Bezos fan but Bezos is first and foremost, a capitalist, and I respect Free Market Capitalism decisions.

Old 11-23-2018, 09:58 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,143,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
If that was true, real state prices in Seattle wouldn't have skyrocketed in the last 5 years.
So the warehouse workers and Amazon drivers are buying all the million dollar homes in Seattle?

Last edited by nirvana07; 11-23-2018 at 10:19 PM..

Old 11-23-2018, 10:58 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I'm not a Bezos fan but Bezos is first and foremost, a capitalist, and I respect Free Market Capitalism decisions.
Open borders is not free market capitalism doctrine. That is crony capitalism. Not the same thing.

Old 11-23-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Again, $15 an hour is much more than most places pay for unskilled labor. Who do you know that pays more for jobs that require no experience, no degree?
Understand that this is Amazon.

First, they cheap out on security. It takes employees an hour after arriving on the premises to get screened through security.

And no, they don't get paid during this time, done to fulfill a requirement of their employment. Amazon made sure they paid lawyers to take the case all the way to the Supreme Court rather than actually paying people who are waiting a ridiculous amount of time to get in to work.

Then they can clock in. 8 hours a day, with TV's blaring telling them they are all potential criminals and not valued employees.

After their shift, there's another long hour to get out of the building by getting screened by security - that they cheaped out of. Again, not paid to fulfill this requirement of their employment.

So, 10 hours of their time, but only get paid for 8. (not counting lunch break - that is understandable that they don't pay that)

Remember, Amazon prefers to pay lawyers to do millions of dollars of litigation rather than give their employees paid time during the time they are fulfilling the requirements of their jobs.

Amazon does something wrong and their employees pay the price.

$15 an hour? Big whoop.

Old 11-24-2018, 05:41 AM

50,789 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Understand that this is Amazon.

First, they cheap out on security. It takes employees an hour after arriving on the premises to get screened through security.

And no, they don't get paid during this time, done to fulfill a requirement of their employment. Amazon made sure they paid lawyers to take the case all the way to the Supreme Court rather than actually paying people who are waiting a ridiculous amount of time to get in to work.

Then they can clock in. 8 hours a day, with TV's blaring telling them they are all potential criminals and not valued employees.

After their shift, there's another long hour to get out of the building by getting screened by security - that they cheaped out of. Again, not paid to fulfill this requirement of their employment.

So, 10 hours of their time, but only get paid for 8. (not counting lunch break - that is understandable that they don't pay that)

Remember, Amazon prefers to pay lawyers to do millions of dollars of litigation rather than give their employees paid time during the time they are fulfilling the requirements of their jobs.

Amazon does something wrong and their employees pay the price.

$15 an hour? Big whoop.
My nephew doesn't have to go through any of this. He just goes to work and clocks in like a normal person at any job. there's no hassles it doesn't take you an hour to get through security. He didn't even mention having to go through security and we discussed it on Thanksgivin, so even if goes through its not a big deal. He didn't mention blaring TVs or anything like that at all.

You guys are going to look through everything he does do a political lens. Just admit that. I don't know anyone nor know of anyone, who is actually for open borders. I also don't know that Amazon is known to hire illegal workers, unlike Dellmonte, Tyson, Domino's Sugar, and all the other big food industry companies.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:35 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,156,539 times
I'm not surprised about the pressure to break traffic laws. I once worked in an Amazon warehouse over Christmas, when young and in between jobs. I won't get into what a horrible experience it was. But we were instructed in training to use step ladders, which were hanging on hooks on every other aisle, if we needed to reach something on the top shelves. Don't climb the shelves to reach something, they said! It's unsafe, they said!

Well, the first time I took the time out to retrieve the step ladder and unfold it, an older worker whispered to me:
"You'll never make your quota if you use the step ladders. It takes too much time away. We all know this, so I'm passing it along to you. Just step on the bottom shelf. Good luck".

Old 11-24-2018, 07:51 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,156,539 times
Quote:
That is not just Amazon though, the wave towards that began long before. Uber, Takl, Thumbtack, all of them are taking us toward a new economy where benefits and full time work are a thing of the past and you just piece together what you can.
Yeah, my bad Amazon Christmas season experience was in 2006, well before Uber was a thing. Make no mistake - Amazon has lead the way.

Good luck to your nephew. $15 or no, he'll be wanting that AutoZone job back.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Open borders is not free market capitalism doctrine. That is crony capitalism. Not the same thing.
I agree on open borders, that I am against. I am for Free Trade, global sourcing is perfectly fine.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
My nephew doesn't have to go through any of this. He just goes to work and clocks in like a normal person at any job. there's no hassles it doesn't take you an hour to get through security. He didn't even mention having to go through security and we discussed it on Thanksgivin, so even if goes through its not a big deal. He didn't mention blaring TVs or anything like that at all.
Anecdotal evidence.

Facts:

They prefer to pay lawyers than pay their employees:

https://www.thenation.com/article/su...heats-workers/

They have TV's blaring that employees are potential thieves and have no value.
https://www.retaildive.com/news/why-...istake/415764/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment