Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 05:04 AM

16,086 posts, read 10,242,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Flex delivery, uber, lyft - these are short term things. One cannot do this long term, eventually they have to replace the car and one won't have the money to do that.

In effect, these "gigs" are nothing but a very slow way of selling a junky old car. One is just converting it to cash over many months. If one is lucky and don't total it in a car accident.
Yet another poster who has ignored everything I have posted LOL. Again I have been talking regularly with people who have been doing this full time for years, you have not, and I have posted the figures.

They earn $1,200- $1,500 a week after gas and pay virtually no taxes or SS. That's far more than the average salary and more than enough to put some aside for that replacement car and additional repairs. I have discussed the lack of Social Security contributions with them and they are aware of that issue, I have no idea if they are adequately funding their retirement but that's the only issue I see with their plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 10:34 AM

801 posts, read 543,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Flex delivery, uber, lyft - these are short term things. One cannot do this long term, eventually they have to replace the car and one won't have the money to do that.

In effect, these "gigs" are nothing but a very slow way of selling a junky old car. One is just converting it to cash over many months. If one is lucky and don't total it in a car accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Yet another poster who has ignored everything I have posted LOL. Again I have been talking regularly with people who have been doing this full time for years, you have not, and I have posted the figures.

They earn $1,200- $1,500 a week after gas and pay virtually no taxes or SS. That's far more than the average salary and more than enough to put some aside for that replacement car and additional repairs. I have discussed the lack of Social Security contributions with them and they are aware of that issue, I have no idea if they are adequately funding their retirement but that's the only issue I see with their plan.
Some people just can't see opportunities. Might be because they are too busy trying to find a reason to be angry at Big Corps. I'll never understand why someone would waste time doing that.

I've met plenty of men and women who manage to figure out a winning strategy to make those Uber/Lyft/Flex or w.e. gigs work for them.

The ones who didn't make it work are those who expected it to be a simple matter of signing up and drive. Just like any other line of work, it's not for everyone.

Last edited by Liar_Liar; 11-28-2018 at 11:09 AM..

Old 11-28-2018, 03:00 PM

5,101 posts, read 6,012,022 times
Quote:
I just read this again and I apologize to MidValleyDad if he's still around. This post came off much harsher than I had intended. I was just tired of so many people doubting my comments but it was completely understandable if you had not seen my previous posts.

Sorry again.

Hey - No problem I didn't see it as harsh. Besides- We've inhabited the Maryland forum long enough, I think I have a feeling of who you are and can read the responses accordingly. You have done your homework and are making it work. I've seen people who don't get their 'ducks in a row' and just see the cash coming in without putting aside enough to replace the assets (car, tires, etc) when they wear out faster.

I'll admit only a $20 increase a month is fantastic. I've bem used to people who make no allowance at all, then get in an accident and find out their insurance company won't stand by them at all. ( I had one young guy working for me doing food deliveries on the side who's insurance company not only didn't cover the accident but also wanted to take him to court for fraud because he even had a policy with them!)

I'm in favor of people who do it 'right' and see no reason why you can't continue it indefinitely if you follow your game plan.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:07 PM

5,101 posts, read 6,012,022 times
Quote:

I have a problem with folks who aren't reporting their income for tax purposes. Everyone needs to pay their fair share of taxes. I don't want to get sidetracked into a tax discussion but if you have income coming in and are not reporting it THAT IS WRONG. If you do the paperwork and after your legitimate expenses you aren't making a profit (income) than we have a different problem (and I wonder why you keep doing it unless you consider it a hobby)

Old 11-28-2018, 09:38 PM

7,467 posts, read 13,459,966 times
Regarding the good and bad of driving for Amazon Flex, you all should read the over 500 reviews by people driving for Flex.

https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Amazon-Fl...efits&start=20

Old 11-28-2018, 11:03 PM

801 posts, read 543,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Regarding the good and bad of driving for Amazon Flex, you all should read the over 500 reviews by people driving for Flex.

https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Amazon-Fl...efits&start=20
I filtered to see comments from "driver" job titles only and the reviews were mixed.

It looks like pretty much anyone can give it a try to figure out if it is the kind of work that suits them.

Seems like a no-BS way for both employers and employees to match up. I wish it was like that in my profession rather than holding those silly interviews.

Old 11-28-2018, 11:26 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,055,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
I have a problem with folks who aren't reporting their income for tax purposes. Everyone needs to pay their fair share of taxes. I don't want to get sidetracked into a tax discussion but if you have income coming in and are not reporting it THAT IS WRONG. If you do the paperwork and after your legitimate expenses you aren't making a profit (income) than we have a different problem (and I wonder why you keep doing it unless you consider it a hobby)
That doesn't work like that. The IRS knows about any income from Uber, lyft and others because they get everyone's 1099 from these companies. It's impossible to hide that income.

Old 11-29-2018, 01:51 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,065,847 times
Quote:
People hide income because it may be all they can find at the time and they need to survive. Its that simple, if the govt is concerned maybe they should enact significantly more stringint employment laws and open up significantly more govt jobs for people that are having to cobble together uber and mcjobs to survive. Others may hide income from a good job because they know they need to maximize the feathering of their own nest because a lay off can come at any time for any or no reason.

Until the govt takes more action your going to see more and more of this behavior and more and more homeless camps, people living out of vans in parking lots, etc.

Welcome to the USA

Old 11-29-2018, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Well they are following the tax laws that allow .545/mile deduction so there should be no issue. As Trump said if it's wrong change the law. But they shouldn't change the laws if that figure is accurate for all cars. The issue here is rideshare folks drive the right cars that hold up, are good on gas, and are not brand new so they don't depreciate like a new one. So by applying the law they can both be profitable and pay little in taxes and it's all perfectly legal.

As for your earlier post I'm sure there are guys who just see the big weekly pay and don't think ahead and plan for repairs and a replacement car. But that does not mean the business model is not sustainable as others have claimed, it certainly is sustainable if you do it right.

Old 11-29-2018, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
That doesn't work like that. The IRS knows about any income from Uber, lyft and others because they get everyone's 1099 from these companies. It's impossible to hide that income.
Nobody is "hiding income", they are applying the .545/mile standard business deduction to offset most of the income
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment