Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 07:11 AM

4,962 posts, read 2,709,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker65 View Post
I'm kinda curious about this so-called "great" job market. What I'm seeing are McJobs all over the place.

I'm very unhappy with my job situation. I'm looking to change it. However, I have two things working against me. One is that even though I have the job title of "Computer Programmer", I have precious little programming experience in spite of having been a "Computer Programmer" for over three years. So, problem one is landing an entry level position with little experience. That leads to problem two, which is my age. I'm 53 years old. Who in the he!! is going to hire a 53 year old, entry level anything? Regardless of the job market.
Yes, the job market is not great as many have pointed out. Not having much programming experience under the job title "Computer Programmer" is also bad. Just look on job sites under that job title and other related titles of programmer analyst, software developer, and software engineer, and see what kind of experience is needed to survive in those jobs. You will find the lists long and exhaustive.

Seeking out entry level programming jobs at your age is going to be very challenging. The market is oversaturated with desperate people looking for work and employers favor hiring young people.

You might luck out somewhere though. I wish you the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 07:31 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
What fields or industries are you and your husband pursuing? Do you have a consistent track record in one field?
Husband is in the hotel industry. Has been for over 20 years.

I am in patient education/health and wellness for 15 years.

So yup, track record.

Old 11-17-2018, 07:52 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I don’t know what job market you are in. I have been looking for awhile with no luck. Maybe it’s something I am doing.... or my age.

My husband has been looking for two years. Nothing.

So enlighten me on this job market.
In Dallas??????????? If you and your husband have been looking for a while, there's something going on other than the job market. It is on fire here.

Old 11-17-2018, 08:12 AM

245 posts, read 152,811 times
There are also people who suck at interviews. It always took me about a dozen interviews before I got an offer.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:42 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,985,438 times
Because the job market isn't healthy everywhere. And not everyone can afford to pick up and just Move across the country on their own dime. A lot of companies aren't paying for your relocation fees. .

And as others say MCJobs are everywhere. Whenever anyone brings up the "health" of the Job market, they always neglect to bring up the QUALITY of these Jobs. Doesn't fit their narrative unfortunately.

"Home Depot and Taco Bell are hiring" isn't the sign of a healthy economy. ROFLMAO

Don’t believe everything you hear on corporate controlled news. Also who’s to say these jobs will even last after 3-4 years. In many cases, you could be moving just to fill a gap on a company’s organization chart for a few years before you get thrown to the streets. Is it really worth the risk in many cases?

Old 11-17-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Wave View Post
There are also people who suck at interviews. It always took me about a dozen interviews before I got an offer.
At least you received a dozen interviews. There many who don’t even receive that

Old 11-17-2018, 10:48 AM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Majority of jobs posted online are hardly McJobs, but rather highly skilled jobs.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Majority of jobs posted online are hardly McJobs, but rather highly skilled jobs.

Which require loads of experience as well. Most of those who qualify for these positions are the older folk who received years of experience in these jobs. My generation wasn't lucky enough to obtain the training/get the experience for these "highly skilled jobs". So instead its companies playing hot potato with the same old employees and forgetting to train the NEXT Generation of people.

So unless you were already at the company or lucky enough to get the required training, you have no chance for these jobs

Old 11-17-2018, 11:08 AM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
It's easier to just spend 20 minutes/day venting on an internet forum, and in reality people who aren't even looking ARE happy enough with their jobs.
Correct, or they are brain dead.

If unhappy, now is the best time we will ever have to job hunt.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:19 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
Perhaps you're at a job that looks secure, fear the next one will end when the coming recession hits, and you're too old to be considered for future work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment