Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 11:19 AM

5 posts, read 3,536 times

Advertisements

I started a new office job on 10 / 13. I have been very sick with shingles and strep throat and going back of forth to the doctor but still don't feel better. I am going back to work on Monday. It will make exactly one month since I have worked. I hate to miss this much work and keep updating my HR person and emailing her the excuses, but they don't seem very happy. I have Dr. notes for this but there are different ones, but every day had technically been covered. I really like this job, but the HR person seems like she thinks I am lying. I was supposed to go back to work today, but I still felt bad and went back to the doctor and got an excuse for today and tomorrow. I didn't even let her (the HR person) know. I just called the automated call in line and said I'd bring the excuse in Monday. I didn't feel like hearing their snarky attitude today. Is there a pretty good chance I will be fired over this? I haven't heard anything, and if they do, how will they do it? Will they probably call me Monday and tell me or wait till I get there? Is there a chance I could only be written up or possibly receive no punishment from this? I am in the USA in the state of Georgia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 03:14 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times
Most places have a 90 day probation period. Even with a Dr. note they can let you go. I've told new hires. If you have to come to work with crutches or in a wheelchair, come. Let them SEE you are sick or hurt, can make a difference. But they also take note. To see if a person has a problem with attendance. I've had guys tell me, they called in sick, when they were 3 states away.

Old 12-06-2018, 04:36 PM

35 posts, read 28,872 times
I went into work today. I got wrote up and my boss pretty much chewed me out. I have a dr excuse for everyday I worked, but he didn't care. He said I should have showed up sick. I accepted my write up and went to work. I guess I am lucky I got to keep my job though. I honestly forgot a great deal of it because I was off so long. I am kind of aggravated, but I will get over it. I'm looking for another job now though. Any job that doesn't understand long periods of sickness, isn't for me.

Last edited by kentuckyfannumerouno; 12-06-2018 at 04:50 PM..

Old 12-06-2018, 04:51 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyfannumerouno View Post
I went into work today. I got wrote up and my boss pretty much chewed me out. I have a dr excuse for everyday I worked, but he didn't care. He said I should have showed up sick. I accepted my write up and went to work. I'm looking for another job now though. Any job that doesn't understand long periods of sickness, isn't for me.
Except, come on, OP, MOST jobs would not accept the number of absences you had as a new employee. Surely you understand that?

You can call the absences "excused," but when you are a new employee and miss literally weeks of work, what do you expect the employer to do? (I work in academia and we have a similar rule for students who miss too many classes, EVEN IF their absences are "excused" -- at some point, you've simply missed too much and there's just no way to make it up. It may seem unfair, but on the other hand, how is it fair to everyone else in the class -- or at your workplace, in your case -- to just say "OK, miss as much as you want and it won't matter"?)

I DO hope the other job works out for you.

Old 12-06-2018, 04:52 PM

9,457 posts, read 5,221,264 times
Hard to believe a supervisor would suggest you should have come to work sick, but then, not much surprises me any more.
I don't believe most places would be so unforgiving about a long period of sickness, if it's documented by a doctor, but I guess it really depends on the organization. I think you're right to look for another position.

Old 12-06-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Except, come on, OP, MOST jobs would not accept the number of absences you had as a new employee. Surely you understand that?

You can call the absences "excused," but when you are a new employee and miss literally weeks of work, what do you expect the employer to do? (I work in academia and we have a similar rule for students who miss too many classes, EVEN IF their absences are "excused" -- at some point, you've simply missed too much and there's just no way to make it up. It may seem unfair, but on the other hand, how is it fair to everyone else in the class -- or at your workplace, in your case -- to just say "OK, miss as much as you want and it won't matter"?)

I DO hope the other job works out for you.
Totally understand, and honestly I'm lucky to have a job I guess. We are having mass hiring events so I guess that factored into it too. I guess they didn't want to lose an employee when they are so short that they can't hire enough anyway. I'm thankful though.

Old 12-06-2018, 05:04 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Totally understand, and honestly I'm lucky to have a job I guess. We are having mass hiring events so I guess that factored into it too. I guess they didn't want to lose an employee when they are so short that they can't hire enough anyway. I'm thankful though.
Honestly, sounds like you have a great attitude. I hope everything works out for you.

Old 12-06-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Honestly, sounds like you have a great attitude. I hope everything works out for you.
Thanks.

Old 12-06-2018, 05:23 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
I went into work today. I got wrote up and my boss pretty much chewed me out. I have a dr excuse for everyday I worked, but he didn't care. He said I should have showed up sick. I accepted my write up and went to work. I guess I am lucky I got to keep my job though. I honestly forgot a great deal of it because I was off so long. I am kind of aggravated, but I will get over it. I'm looking for another job now though. Any job that doesn't understand long periods of sickness, isn't for me.

Main thing is you have a job still.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:23 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Op just had bad luck. Just imagine starting a new job and get hit by an illness that just won't go away. And op's must be pretty good at his job and hard to replace..lol
I also think he has a good attitude and seems very responsible. But probably a good thing to keep looking just in case.

Ok...are you a He? I'm sorry, I'm just assuming here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment