Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 03:36 PM

559 posts, read 1,465,826 times

Advertisements

So after my very enjoyable maternity leave, I am having to go back to my job. Since I've been gone, I have heard that our director has been "strongly encouraging" over time-it's not paid it is comped-and 30 minute sessions to see clients (I'm a counselor). For those who have read my other posts about this job know I hate it. I don't understand why we are being forced to do 30 minute sessions and cram like 40 clients to see in a week. This is not beneficial to the clients or the counselors. And we can't see new clients for like a month out. So 30 min a month?! But I digress.

While I was on maternity leave I did some contract counseling because no paid maternity leave right? Yay; and found out I actually enjoy counseling and it's not the field I chose but rather the places and people that I am working for but now I don't know what to do. I would really like to start my own practice but since I have to put both children in daycare and it costs more than out rent I won't have any money to put a lot into advertising.

Anyone do any free or very cheap online marketing? I have been doing some research in online marketing because I don't know anything about it. I don't know where to start or how to drive traffic to any websites or social media. It will be all online counseling as I have been doing but it will be my own practice.

Since I also have to work full time I'm not sure how to advertise I can only do evening sessions until i can get enough clients to support quitting my full time job.

Help and advice please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 05:39 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
What are you looking for? Someone to build you a website? When you say drive traffic, where to?

Old 11-20-2018, 06:10 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Online marketing is a minor and weak tool for nearly all businesses not specifically focused at online sales. It is a useful adjunct to other forms of client and business acquisition, but if you have the vague idea it's highly effective and "all you need to do these days"... you need to back up to square one.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:47 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,226 times
Beware.

Some online marketing is illegitimate.

Some involve sending out spam by email. Others involve posting linkspams on forums, comboxes, and other places.

Old 11-21-2018, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Online marketing is a minor and weak tool for nearly all businesses not specifically focused at online sales. It is a useful adjunct to other forms of client and business acquisition, but if you have the vague idea it's highly effective and "all you need to do these days"... you need to back up to square one.
I am at square one.

Old 11-21-2018, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
What are you looking for? Someone to build you a website? When you say drive traffic, where to?
I am building one now, so, yes traffic to my website so clients know I’m there.

Old 11-21-2018, 04:30 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
FYI, many companies offer paid maternity leave. Look into that if you plan on having more children.

Old 11-21-2018, 05:09 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
I work in the online marketing industry. I mainly write web copy, but I've also done social media posts, guest blog posts, affiliate marketing, things like that.

For online counseling, I might suggest starting with a great social media page (Facebook would appeal to those in their mid-thirties on up, but you'd likely want to focus more on Instagram or even Twitter if your target clientele is much younger than that). Don't get me wrong; build all of the social media pages, but feel free to focus most of your efforts on the one that is best targeted to your ideal client. Don't build more than you can keep up with; you need to answer questions that get posted and respond to comments (or hire someone to do that).

Work on building your reputation by writing (or hiring someone to write) some great, informative posts for the blog part of your website, and post the links on your social media pages. Place ads on that social media site. Be sure that you are using some keywords in your posts, but don't be a crazy keyword-stuffer. Once you get a bit of a reputation built up, try to find opportunities for guest posting on other blogs that have high traffic. (FYI: You will need to pay for that privilege in most cases.)

You could also start a YouTube channel (or a similar channel on another platform). Yes, you can make a few pennies doing that, but that's not why you should do it; it's for reputation-building. If you are comfortable in front of a camera, this can be even more effective than writing a blog.

You will also probably do well placing some PPC (pay per click) ads on Google. These can be expensive; I suspect that "online counseling" is going to be a very expensive (and very competitive) keyword. Make sure your Google My Business listing is accurate and write up a good description. You only have 750 characters (three short paragraphs at most), so make them count.

I'd work more on the reputation-building at first rather than trying to get too many clients. You need to build your business well before they will come.

I don't provide free or cheap online marketing, but you can PM me if you have specific questions. I don't mind helping out! Good luck!

Old 11-21-2018, 09:33 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
What kind of counseling do you do? Do you need a different license or state approval to operate your own agency? Can you accept insurance? Or do your clients normally pay cash?

Old 11-21-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
FYI, many companies offer paid maternity leave. Look into that if you plan on having more children.
I have heard of only two. Bank of America and some gas companies. None of which I think hire counselors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment